B&B to the rescue ( hopefully)

Finally got a good opportunity to break open the bag. Most pieces seem to be 3-5", pretty easy to fill a chimney. It did seem to be a little harder to light than B+B natural lump, and definitely had what I consider to be a an unpleasant aroma while lighting it off. Fortunately, that did not come through in the cauliflower I roasted, and the top sirloin I grilled for dinner. It started with a nice hot fire, and the cylindrical pieces did make it easy to arrange on the charcoal grate for an even fire. It did burn down rather faster than I expected.

Aside from the unpleasant aroma, it seemed to burn at least okay. I was hoping for a little longer burn. I will have to try this in my smoker.

Bringin' this back around, now that I've gotten back out to the grill tonight.

This stuff leaves ash like briquettes, several times as much as natural lump. It did burn out completely, there weren't any bits left over to dump back into the chimney starter. This second burn also was difficult to start.

Haven't been grilling much lately, but am down to the bottom of the 30 lb. bag.

NOT buying this stuff again. It's consistently difficult to light, and leaves a huge pile of ash. It's saving grace is that it does burn fairly hot and it burns completely. But if I was burning this in my gravity fed smoker, I don't know that I couple keep ahead of keeping the ash drawer empty, and I'd be worried about the ash bridging over the grates even though the ash is pretty soft.

The orange bags of briquettes have been unavailable for months here. I was ordering them into the local ACE, but there have been none. I like the lump, and the logs, but the briquettes need to show back up too.

Back