Aura Kettle Zone Cooking System Unboxing (Well sort of)

Michael Richards

TVWBB Emerald Member
OK my Aura Kettle Zone Cooking System arrived today.
https://auraoutdoorproducts.com/collections/kettle-zone-pre-order-specials/products/kettle-zone
I purchased an open box warehouse sale option for $70 plus an extra 15% off with free shipping and no tax, so all in at $59.50. I share that I got the open box version and shared in this title that this is sort of an Unboxing because I strongly believe that the quality of the packaging is very much related to that fact.
So it arrived on my front door today in a really big box.
IMG_20210114_153252.jpg
When I opened it up there was A LOT of packaging. A layer of cardboard triangle and then two garbage bags of packaging peanuts and flat cardboard between each piece. IMG_20210114_153304.jpg
The first piece I found was the base. IMG_20210114_153313.jpg
Then one half grate per layer. I have no complaints about the quality or craftsmanship of these three SS pieces. Everything look welded together well and I think the thickness of the bars are the same as my original Weber grates (but this is an upgrade to SS and an added bonus because I got this primarily because of the defuser plates). I also tried fitting these in my sink and they fit. I like this because I like to clean my grates in the sink after a low and slow. Being halves makes this possible.
IMG_20210114_153322.jpg
Last were the two half diffuser plates, each in it own layer of the massive box. IMG_20210114_153401.jpg
The diffuser plates are just under 1/2 in thick. Each of my plates have one very small nick on each of them, with this being an open box option, not upset at all about them, but if I paid full price I may be less happy with this fact. IMG_20210114_153330.jpg

Now I do not think this would be the Unboxing experience if you got a new in box, but not sure.

Next I took it outside and placed it piece by piece in the Master Touch. Here we have the base it. IMG_20210114_153414.jpg
There is a notch system that locks this in place and there is no wiggle. I like how this sits in there.
Next I put the diffuser plates in. They are not going anywhere but there are not locked in or anything. Started to notice one interesting thing here though...IMG_20210114_153408.jpg
And when I put the grates on it was really clear, the base puts the whole system on an angle. This is because the whole system is squared off the notch system which use the kettles grate tabs which are off center, not a big thing, but something that is clearly noticeable. I don't think it will bother me at all when I am going low an slow, but I think I will notice in on hot and fast cooks. A little movement on the grates but not something I think will bother me. IMG_20210114_153427.jpg
Now my biggest worry still is how to set up the charcoal, one option may be the charcoal ring from my 14 WSM, it just fits under the base but it is not that big, I am thinking about maybe getting a charcoal ring from the WSM 22 and planning to only fill in 2/3 high to keep from getting the charcoal to close to the diffuser plates. Any thoughts/ideas for charcoal set is very welcome here. IMG_20210114_153437.jpg
Last pic is without diffuser plates, SS grates that sit right level with the grill. I know a few of you PK users have shared this is one thing about PK grills, a chance for food to fall off the side. I am not sure if I am going to use this for hot and fast or go back to the Weber original.IMG_20210114_153446.jpg

Planning on doing a tri tip tomorrow night, reverse sear, with the diffuser plates in and then take them out and try to get ths grill hot for a nice sear. I want to see how she will work. Also have pork and beef ribs waiting for Monday to try to cook pork ribs without cutting them for the first time ever.
Overall I am really happy with the quality and for the price the little nicks nor the off line set up bother me to bad. I will get cooking and follow up. Any insights on Charcoal set up let me know!

Last edited:
Interesting bit of kit you got there, Michael! I never really played around with heat deflectors in the kettles since I had a WSM for my smoking duties. I don't know what they made those deflectors out of, but it will be interesting to see how they do with direct charcoal heat underneath them. I didn't see anything about how hot they can get on the Aura site, so might be a question worth asking. For low/slow, I'd think some version of the snake or fuse would work well. For a direct/indirect set up where you only have one deflector, I'd think a charcoal basket (or a couple fire bricks) to hold the coals on the open half would do the trick. Direct/sear on one side, and indirect with the deflector on the other?

Let us know how you get along with that TT!!

R

I never really played around with heat deflectors in the kettles since I had a WSM for my smoking duties.
Rich,
See I was really debating on whether I wanted to use my limited bbq funds to look for a used larger WSM or get some accessories for the kettle (this and then later the rotisserie) and before I truly made up my mind this come along and I went for it. I hope it adds versatility to my limited arsenal.

Last edited:
Michael,
Great un-boxing, that system looks well made.
I think Rich nailed it with his charcoal management ideas. The only thing I might add is using a Vortex big side up with the snake of coals around it for your low and slow cooks. A SS dog bowl would work just as well. I think the charcoal baskets are also going to be very useful.
That's my two cents.

Noob question, what is this system for?
My hope is it helps me be able to do low and slow on the kettle, while having the whole surface of the grill grates open for food and be able to use the whole charcoal grate to arrange charcoal for the cook to get a lot of hours out of this. I think it is a different option to the slow and sear... We will start to see if it was worth or not in these two attempts over the weekend...
I was totally thinking about your super clean new copper performer when I was taking the pictures of this on my dirty kettle today.

Nice post! The kit looks very quality. Impressive packaging.
Man, you are going to be able to fit so much more meat on those grates on a low and slow.
I'd just dump a huge pile of charcoal in the middle and run the minion method. That way you shouldn't have to worry about adding coals.
Looking forward to seeing your first cook

Scott,
Typically on a low and slow cook, using a slow n Sear for example, you only have the indirect side of the cooking grate to put meat on, so maybe 60% of the grate. With the diffuser plates you get 100% of the cooking surface to work with since the diffuser plates create a heat shield.

Seems like a lot of stuff to store when not in use but, that’s just me.
No I don't disagree with that sentiment, that was one of my thoughts yesterday also, just putting parts in and taking then out, I thought where do I put this piece and this one..., now I have the perfect space for the diffuser plates to be stored safely, but I keep thinking I hope I like this base unit and the higher grates for everyday cooking because that will simplify the whole process.

Rather than buy a slow n sear I did the firebrick and basket method several years ago-gets same results to me without that SNS expense.

Typically on a low and slow cook, using a slow n Sear for example, you only have the indirect side of the cooking grate to put meat on, so maybe 60% of the grate. With the diffuser plates you get 100% of the cooking surface to work with since the diffuser plates create a heat shield.

With a 2 zone set up on a 22 kettle, you can fit two rib slabs flat. You'd have to move up to a 26 kettle to fit a third. A diffuser would let you fit 3, maybe 4 flat slabs on a 22 kettle since you can use the whole grate. Same dimensions as the top rack on a WSM 22.

Nice way to make your 22 kettle a better smoker with extra capacity. This on a 22 Performer would be more than most folks would ever need -- no need for a 26 kettle or a larger WSM.

Weber makes a diffuser plate and charcoal chamber for the MasterTouch, so they think this set up works. But they don't sell those separately as a regular kettle acessory -- hence the work arounds.

My hope is it helps me be able to do low and slow on the kettle, while having the whole surface of the grill grates open for food and be able to use the whole charcoal grate to arrange charcoal for the cook to get a lot of hours out of this. I think it is a different option to the slow and sear... We will start to see if it was worth or not in these two attempts over the weekend...
I was totally thinking about your super clean new copper performer when I was taking the pictures of this on my dirty kettle today.
Ah that makes sense!! Cool, report back how it works!

And thanks! She aint clean anymore, getting that new seasoning on it!!!

Hey guys,
I posted my first cook with this system today at the post below. I really really liked this set up.

Hey guys,
Here is my second cook, a true low and slow.

After two cooks I am really impressed with this set up. Anyone who is interested in the Weber charcoal ring and diffuser plate, I really think this is another option.
I am bumped to see that the price has been raised to $125 from the $100 it was just a few weeks ago, but I see there is an open box option right now for $70. With 15% off using code: KETTLEHEADZ, I think the open box plus the discount makes it worth it. The last few times I have checked (before tonight) there was no open box options.

Back