Article: Is the Fourth Slice the Barometer for a Well-Cooked Brisket?

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting article by Daniel Vaughn, BBQ editor at Texas Monthly magazine.

Is the Fourth Slice the Barometer for a Well-Cooked Brisket?​

Two pitmaster friends seem to think so. What started as a theory between them has spread into wider barbecue-nerd circles.

Cool article. It's amazing to me that they found fault with that slice that looks unbelievable. It's really next level stuff. I'm going to pay attention on the next brisket I cook!

This reminds me of Monday morning sports radio. They intimately analyze every detail of a football game for the entire morning as if a global economic meltdown of the free world would surely occur if they missed something somewhere somehow someway. Gotta love it.

We had this as a running commentary “joke” between KCBS Reps at contests and included, the 6th rib from the left side of the rack and right side of the pig and chicken only left legs and thighs! It is an objective way to look at the meat, but, to me, that may not always translate to best taste. For every bbq contest grand or category champion, they more than likely got an average score from one of the at least one judge, because taste is a subjective trait of the person tasting the food.

Last edited:

Back