Armadillo Eggs

Chuck Simon

TVWBB Pro
Every year we celebrate Christmas with my in laws on Christmas Eve and every year for dinner we have a bunch of appetizers. This year I decided to make a grilled appetizer. I looked through pages and pages of recipes until I finally found the one I wanted to make. Armadillo eggs!!! I immediately ran to the store to buy the ingredients.

I sautéed the shallots in butter and seasoned them with salt and pepper. I then mixed the shallots with the cream cheese and finely shredded sharp cheddar cheese.

I then halved and seeded the jalapeños and stuffed them with the cheese and shallot mixture.

I then took the bulk Italian sausage, flattened it out like a burger patty and wrapped the stuffed jalapeños in the sausage. Then I seasoned them with some of my Crabby's Pork Rub.

I set up the grill for indirect grilling. I put aluminum foil on the charcoal grate on the opposite side and added a chunk of cherry wood.

After about 20 minutes, I turned them and let them cook for another 10 minutes.

I pulled them off and brought them in the house to let them rest.

I was running low on sausage so I wasn't putting as much sausage around the stuffed jalapeños towards the end. While cooking, the sausage shrank a little and the cream cheese leaked out making a small mess. Thank goodness I put the foil down on the charcoal grate! I thought they came out really good. Next time I will make sure to use more sausage around the jalapeños.

I would like to wish everyone a safe and Merry Christmas!!!

Thanks for looking!!!

Chuck

Thanks guys! I have made ABT's before. This is my first time making the Armadillo eggs. I already have a couple of changes I want to do for next time.

That's "eggsactly" what we're going to have for "finger foods" before the main event Christmas day! Looks great!

Wow! I was expecting Scotch eggs - what do you plan to change next time? They look perfect already

Those look wonderful, they should be a hit!!! You and your family have a great and safe Merry Christmas too!!

Thanks guys! Let us know how they turn out Steve.

Next time I will use regular pork sausage instead of the Italian sausage. The Italian sausage taste overpowered the taste f the rub. Plus next time I plan on coating them pretty heavily with the rub.

Thanks again guys!

Great idea.....think I'm gonna give'm a try on New Years Day. They look deeeelish!!!

Drink a little drink, Smoke a little smoke :wsm:

Chuck, all I can say is fantastic. Those are awesome and I'm sure they didn't last long either. Merry Christmas to you and your family and a Happy New Year.

Back