Anyone using a rolling sharpener?

Never heard of such a thing. That's pretty cool.
Me neither. Agree.

I like that it forces one to keep the precise angle. But I bet a lot of guys don't know what the bevel angle is on a particular knife. My understanding is most western knives are in the 20 degree range, and most asians are in the 15 degree area. But I also believe some of the western knife manufacturers are jumping onto the 15 degree bandwagon.

4.7 stars is pretty good.

The spinning disk bugs me a little. Is it sharpening or honing towards the blade, or away from the blade, or both, or neither? Also, watching the videos, the sharpening disk installed within the roller appears to actually spin independent of the roller. Is that a good thing? I'm not sure.

I'm tempted to get one, but I already have too many sharpeners as it is! It would make a cool gift though.

Thanks for posting

Last edited:
Obviously a gimmick, but not a bad gimmick. If it gets you to keep your knives sharp, its worth it.
Truth is that the cheapest $3 stone from Harbor Freight rubbed in little circles around both sides of a knife at a slight angle for a minute would likely do just as well as this thing from a practical perspective.

How would that sharpen a small knife like a boning or paring knife? I wonder how much pressure you can apply or how long it would take on your initial sharpening. After that, i would think it would be quick. I already have stones anyway but looks interesting.

I’ve used whetstones, and I guess I just don’t have the patience to use them well, it takes me forever and the edge is just not that good. I generally have my knives done by the pro that worked out of the sewing machine place that went belly up last year. My dad was really good with one (or two). I hate to impose on my brother who has a fantastic Japanese water stone sharpener since his stroke. So, this appeals to me from an “ease of use” standpoint. Since I use a steel pretty much every time I pick up a knife my stuff stays pretty sharp.

Last edited:
My adult Boys in their 20's would not be able to resist that temptation.
I would say one needs to be careful when sharpening any knife with any method, blade sticking up or not, you are dealing with what has the potential to cause significant harm to oneself or others. Fletch, what would those young men be tempted to do? I’m curious?

Obviously a gimmick, but not a bad gimmick. If it gets you to keep your knives sharp, its worth it.
Truth is that the cheapest $3 stone from Harbor Freight rubbed in little circles around both sides of a knife at a slight angle for a minute would likely do just as well as this thing from a practical perspective.
And the cheapest one on Amazon is North of $60

I would say one needs to be careful when sharpening any knife with any method, blade sticking up or not, you are dealing with what has the potential to cause significant harm to oneself or others. Fletch, what would those young men be tempted to do? I’m curious?
To run their finger along the edge.

It is easy to use and works well. I tried water stones and I have trouble holding the angle, that's why I got this sharpener. I agree the blade up is a little scary but as long as you pay attention you should be okay. My knives are in decent shape so I only run the roller 4 times on each side and finish with 2 or 3 rolls on the ceramic side or finish with my steel.

Cut resistant gloves are available nowadays at Amazon or any hardware store for about ten bucks. Don't see the need personally.
I have a set. Used to use them when I worked ( setting glass/windows ) But now for just taking apart my slicer and handling that circular blade.

I worked in a picture frame shop and glass business, the only time I wore gloves was moving a ten foot piece of plate. Scared the pudding out of me, just from size! I go in to see all the “safety proctols“ the poor shlubs at Lowe’s have to go through just makes me shake my head. By the time they figure out how to open and measure a piece, I’d have cut five of them!
After a tornado went through the downtown where the store was we laid and glazed 30 lites for his building in a day! Only a small cut when a piece of glass just “gave way”, my boss was mortified! We just kept on going. They weren’t going to set themselves.
I get the worth of cut resistant gloves but, RESPECT is a far more driving safety measure.

Hooked a BT headset up to a different laptop, and fired up a Youtube video as a test. First ad was for this rolling sharpener, and probably the first ad in a couple of years that I've watched all the way through. Interesting device, but I think I'll stick with my Worksharp belt sharpener.

Back