Anyone use royal oak briquettes in WSM?

Joey D

I usually use KB as I stock up during holiday sales and will use lump for hot and fast cooks. Walmart has 24 lb for $5.00 and thought it would be a good time to try some out.

Do you have any experience to share with using RO briquettes?

I use Royal Oak briquettes in the WSM. They work fine for me. Regular, not select, in the Red bag.

Glad you asked because I was wondering the same thing. I've used KBB, Kcomp, and Stubbs. With the sales on the RO red bag briquettes makes me want to try them. I went to WM yesterday and they had sold out at $4 for 24lbs!!

Has anyone tried the WalMart brand. It looks like Royal Oak so l bought one to try this weekend in the WSM. At $5.97 a bag l hope it works out.

Pretty sure the WM house brand is RO, they are the only one big enough to supply WM nationally....KBB doesn't produce any private or secondary products.

I use RO briquettes about 95% of the time, unless I run out, then it is kingsford comp. Works fine. Seems to be less ash than KBB. No weird chemical taste.

Yep, but they produce less ash.

I suppose the real reason is that my wife read somewhere that the comp was "all natural" and well, happy wife happy life....

I confused myself with my previous post let me try that again....

I use RO briquettes about 95% of the time, unless I run out, then it is kingsford comp.
The Royal Oak works fine. The RO seems to produce less ash than KBB. It also doesn't have the weird chemical taste that I have noticed a few times with KBB when used with light flavored meats like chicken and fish, but that my also have been user error.

I use ro most of the time. Just now going through my last old bags of rancher. Still have several buckets of duraflame briquettes. Now that stuff is goood. Anyhoo if I do run out or just want to stock up on general use briquettes I buh the wal mart bags. I saw looooong ago a pallet of it and it had royal oaks addy on it. Never had issues with it.

One thing to think about concerning private label and/or secondary brands. Just because a "known" company is making the private label item doesn't mean it's the same product as the known company's flagship product. There may be a formula change to meet the price point the big box is looking to hit. I worked for a company that made private/secondary products and there were changes made to meet third party seller's price points (not charcoal).

I bought a bunch of RO at Walmart. I've only used it in my kettle. When lighting, it lets off some black smoke. Is this normal for this brand? It looks strange. I'm worried about off flavors in the wsm as it lights

Back