Anyone remove the water pan and use direct heat?

Mike Arnold

I saw instructions for Hot and Fast Chicken which calls for removing the water pan in order to get crispy skin.
I really want to try it because I have had problems getting the skin to be really crispy.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone made smoked hamburgers this way?
I saw another recipe for making smoked burgers by using a foiled empty water pan
and was wondering what type of results I would get by removing the pan.

Let me know how things worked out for you.
Thanks.

Mike

I rarely use a water pan or diffuser. Works well for higher temp cooks.

For low & slow, a diffuser is helpful.

I'm curious to know if anyone has ever cooked brisket this way. I've personally never tried anything without the pan
Good to see a post from you Russell!
I've cooked brisket flats high heat no pan and they were very good, smelled like giant steaks cooking.
Sorry about your heat down there, we have similar here, but a break for both of us soon I think.

Good to hear from you too Bob! I still visit TVWBB some but don't post much like I used to. I thought I remembered you doing a no pan brisket once but it's been a while. Picked up a 12 lb packer today and thought about cooking this weekend maybe. Yes I think we're supposed to get a break from heat Sunday or Monday? Hope you get one too!

I for some reason hadn't thought of doing a turkey that way. That's definitely how I'm cooking the turkey for thanksgiving this year.

Nicely done cook on the 14.5 Robert! I've always cooked them low and slow with a dry water pan. Maybe I'll get brave enough to try it.....or maybe not :eek:

Back