Anyone own The Briner ?

Lynn Dollar

TVWBB Emerald Member
This being turkey season , a lot of folks are wet brining. This gadget appears to be very useful, in that it solves the problem of floating meat.

The Briner

Briner.jpg
I'd like to use this for whole chicken also. But I already have an 18 qt container that I used one time to brine a turkey. But I don't recall how I solved the problem of the turkey floating ?

Surely someone has solved this problem without a special brining bucket ?

Hi Lynn..... I have the Briners and love them. I bought the large one and the Baby Briner. I've used them both and they work very well. The locking disk solves the floating problem Storage isn't too bad as the smaller one can be stashed in the big one. I don't use them all the time but they are handy when needed. I used to do my brining in our large stock pot. I'd place a dinner plate over the meat and then try and balance something food safe on the plate to keep things submerged.

I love the concept, but that's a lot of money for a plastic bucket. Like Timothy, I just put something on top of the protein, like a plate or a bowl.

OMG I LOVE our Briner. It was probably Cliff who turned me on to them several years ago. It is common for us to begin our meals with frozen meat; I'm sure I use the Briner several times a month. Not only did I always struggle to keep frozen items submerged but I often tied-up the kitchen sink to thaw items. This gadget resolves those issues. We have the 22 qt and 8 qt. I would not want to be without them!

I love the concept, but that's a lot of money for a plastic bucket. Like Timothy, I just put something on top of the protein, like a plate or a bowl.

That $47 price at Amazon is high. I found them at Cabelas , Bass Pro Shops , and All Things BBQ for $32 to $35. But even at those prices, its still high priced for a bucket.

That $47 price at Amazon is high. I found them at Cabelas , Bass Pro Shops , and All Things BBQ for $32 to $35. But even at those prices, its still high priced for a bucket.
22 qt is $18.50 at Bed Bath and Beyond right now for Beyond+ members (which I'm pretty sure is free to sign up to be a loyalty member.) Not bad, though I have a surplus of old brewing buckets, so I'll make do with those! :)

22 qt is $18.50 at Bed Bath and Beyond right now for Beyond+ members (which I'm pretty sure is free to sign up to be a loyalty member.) Not bad, though I have a surplus of old brewing buckets, so I'll make do with those! :)
....so I looked into what it takes to be a Beyond+ member. It costs $29, but you get a $29 bonus gift card.....so, it's essentially free. Just didn't want anyone to be surprised that there's a fee.... They happen to have one in stock, so, my previous comment notwithstanding, I think I will get one. :)

R

I love my Briner bucket. It's also useful for soaking the Napoleon wing basket since that mostly fits.

I needed a food safe bucket to brine our Thanksgiving turkeys and asked at the Deli Dept. at our local grocery store. They gave me a 5 gallon pickle bucket. Works great for 12-14 lb. birds. Like Timothy said, ice water in a bag keeps it submerged.

I have both and love them. As others have said, the disc is great. The marks on the side are good for measuring how much water to use for different things. Not cheap, but you pay for convenience.

Home Depot and Lowe’s sell food grade buckets and lids. They are in the paint department. Bucket is around $5.00 and the screw in lid is around $7.00.

I have the small briner. I received it as a present. I have used it regularly now for nearly three months. I wish I would have bought it myself a long time ago when I first saw Cliff using it. It makes the process simpler. My only criticism is the quality of the lid. Briner built a better mousetrap and it's worth it, at least to me.

Gratuitous buttermilk brined rotisserie chicken pic from last weekend:
5E8F0212-4063-4585-8605-20C57C1C2CD2.jpeg

I've got the Briner Jr. Works great for smaller stuff like chickens, pork shoulders (under ~8 lbs.), beef roasts for pastrami or corned beef. Canadian, Irish or buckboard bacon. It has a small footprint, so there's always room for it in the fridge.

I used my Briner this morning to speed-up thawing some beef short ribs that are in the smoker, now :)

Back