Anyone buy smoking wood online

Bob, what types of wood are you looking for?
at DOITBESTdotCOM you can get free delivery to your local hardware store... they have apple, hickory, cherry and mistakeOOPS i'm meant mesquite... dig further (search) for pecan at a decent price.... and it's all good.

again, what types are you looking for?

There's lots of smoke wood available on ebay; that's where I buy the majority of mine. If you PM me I can dig through my purchase history and get you some merchant names.

I've been buying from Maine Grilling Woods, since I like supporting local businesses. I've been very pleased with the quality of their wood chunks as well as their diverse selection.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll take a look at all of them. Really the only wood I knew I wanted to try but didn't see locally was Peach.

I just ordered some oak chunks from Amazon. It was about $15 for 5lbs. I can only seem to find the chips locally. Next year I'm going to have a bunch of maple chunks. A tree fell down in our yard a week or so ago. I'm going to cut the bigger pieces up into chunks and use them after they season - probably next year. Any other wood I want to use I can find locally.

I buy Weber "firespice" chunks at Home Despot. I buy a couple of bags apple, cherry, hickory and pecan before each smoke season and always have some left over. I could probably get a better deal online, but quite frankly the convenience is preferable to the hassle of buying online.

I buy Weber "firespice" chunks at Home Despot. I buy a couple of bags apple, cherry, hickory and pecan before each smoke season and always have some left over. I could probably get a better deal online, but quite frankly the convenience is preferable to the hassle of buying online.

Same here, Home Depot or any other local retailer that stocks Weber Firespice chunks.

Ditto that.

My local old-timey hardware store carries everything that Weber makes at competitive prices. I think I pay about $8 for a 360 cu.in. Firespice bag o' chunks. They have all the varieties. I used to mail order wood chunks, but the Weber bags are just as good, cheaper and readily available. We have a lot of oak locally, so I just go to my firewood pile when I need some oak chunks.

What he said :)

I've been using Fruita for the past two years for competition, catering, backyard cooking, etc, and I couldn't be happier with the product. Their service is also top-notch and I get my stuff QUICK! I've actually tried and have a stash of every wood they have except for pear (too close to apple, I have apple) and mahogany. Every one of their woods is cared for in a climate and humidity-controlled warehouse, and they leave it whole until an order is placed. They then cut it into the proper denomination and box it up. Because of this, there are still plenty of natural sugars and some moisture, which creates outstanding, flavorful smoke. That's what sets them apart from the junk that's sold in the plastic bags. Plastic won't breathe, so they have to kiln-fire the wood to completely dry before they package it so that mold won't grow during the lengthy journey to the store, the various temp changes, etc.

For what it's worth, I've also used Maine Grilling Woods and their product is great as well. I use their olive wood in my Tuscan chicken.

Bob,

Just started using Fruita Wood Chunks. So far, I'm delighted with their products.

My wife bought me a sample pack of wood chunks from the Charcaol store (charcoalstore.com), I received Peach, Nectarine, Cherry, Apple and Oak Burbon barrel. I am very happy with the product and they had a decent selectionof wood.

Looking at that site, what about the bark? Many of their products appear to have bark, do you remove it?

My wife bought me a sample pack of wood chunks from the Charcaol store (charcoalstore.com), I received Peach, Nectarine, Cherry, Apple and Oak Burbon barrel. I am very happy with the product and they had a decent selectionof wood.

Smokinlicious for me. I've. Tried several different woods but think I will only maintain a supply of cherry and Hickory. I love the smell of those two when I sitting by the smoker enjoying a brew.

Dan

If I'm at a hardware or BBQ store I'll get whatever looks good. A couple of times a year I'm at the Lazzari charcoal factory and I pick up good there. And if I run really low on something and I'm not going to be at either I'll just fire off an order to Maine Grilling Woods. If you buy enough shipping's free.

Looking at that site, what about the bark? Many of their products appear to have bark, do you remove it?

I've noticed some of the chunks have bark on them. From what i've read here, and on other smoking forums, and my actual results, it doesn't seem to make a difference if there's some bark on wood chunks.

Back