anyone buy pork butt from costco?

DChu

Costco has pork butt (comes in a 2pack) but it's boneless. anyone had success with smoking one? trying to debate getting the costco one vs. whole foods.

I did a pair in June, they were perfectly fine.
Is the boneless aspect your concern? If so, don't sweat it, it will be fine.

Last edited:
Boneless will allow you to get more rub on the surface of the meat as removing the bone exposes more surface area. Other than that it cooks nearly the same (sometimes a bit faster).

I've done them several times. I usually tie them so they stay together. When they bone it you'll sometimes have a few muscle groups just barely hanging on. Tying it with butcher's twine will keep some of the smaller bits from finishing long before the rest of the butt. Sometimes you need to run strings in two directions. If you don't have butcher's twine, I had a lot of trouble finding any locally at a price that wasn't well beyond highway robbery. I eventually got about two miles of the stuff off Amazon for something like $12. Considering the local grocery store wanted almost half that for about 20 feet of something that wasn't remotely as strong, it seemed a bargain. I got questions about what I was going to do with all that string, but I've tied loads of roasts, used it in the garden, used it for school projects, you name it. Good stuff to have on hand.

One thing I would suggest on the Costco pork butts is to look for a package where they seem to be about the same size. It's hard to tell given how they're smushed in there, but if you look closely you can usually find a dividing line. They have a tendency to pack two of dissimilar size together, which results in significantly different cooking times.

I've used them, they're fine. I cut them in half anyway so boneless don't matter to me.
once it's pulled you can't tell anyway...:)

I smoked a pair last weekend. Didn't realize when I bought them they were boneless.
As mentioned above, need to tie them to keep in a compact form.

They came out fine and everyone enjoyed -- although I do prefer to have bone-in cuts.

I guess since pork steaks are King in the St Louis area, our Costco butts are bone-in.
But I buy my butts from a local chain grocery store when on sale, like now for 89 cents/lb., whole or sliced.

I guess since pork steaks are King in the St Louis area, our Costco butts are bone-in.
But I buy my butts from a local chain grocery store when on sale, like now for 89 cents/lb., whole or sliced.

Haven't tried Costco butts, but at .89 a pound that's a great deal here on sale is 1.49 -1.79. at the chain stores.

I did the "Pork Butt - Slathered With Mustard & Rub" on a couple of Costco boneless butts on an over nighter a few weeks ago. I used Swamp Boys rub. I tied them up with butcher's twine in two directions. Took about 14 hours at 225* (actually were ready at 12 hours, but I was stuck on a conference call while on vacation at the beach and couldn't hang up:mad:) and rested about 4 hours before pulling . Came out incredible! Used swamp Boys BBQ Sauce and made tobacco onions for added texture. You really cannot screw up butts.

I accidentally bought a two-pack of boneless butts at Restaurant Depot last month. I treated the same a bone-in with no problems.

I did not think about tying them up, if there's a next time, though . . .

BD

I also prefer bone in, but I had to do 4 for a party and pulled two twin packs out of the deep freezer. I didn't notice till they defrosted that one pack was boneless M'Lady bought at GFS.
I treated them all the same on a overnight cook, but I put the bone in on the bottom rack, and quite honestly I didn't notice any difference in cooking times or taste.
A few pics, boneless are in front.
36150232474_81c3916965_h.jpg

36150232694_d13262a5df_h.jpg

36814834972_b96e040f6f_h.jpg

36150234444_106db91eaf_h.jpg

36150235364_9a3d6d8c2e_c.jpg

Tim

Back