Anybody have experience with these thermometers?

ThermoPro has been a professional manufacturer located in North America for many years.

As opposed to an amateur manufacturer? Are there any amateur manufacturers, I mean besides Tesla? ;)

Buy quality, and only buy once.
My own personal opinion here, but isn’t that the reason we’re all willing to pay more for a Weber grill than a cheaper grill, that can last about 1/4 the life of a Weber? I love my Thermapen, and I love knowing that I’m going to give it to my son in 10-15 years and it will still be working just as good as today.
Again, just my opinion,
Tim
And your son will chuckle and say, "uh...this doesn't even link to my Instagram account, Boomer". 😁

I'm good with my $16 Kizen.

My Thermopro tp19 came today. Ran it through a few quick tests. Then used it for grilling a couple of chicken breasts. I'm impressed. Accuracy seems spot on. Gives an accurate reading in about 3 seconds.

I'm satisfied with the build quality too. It's not as robust as a thermapen but it seems pretty high quality. Much more so than my old cheaper model thermopro. Which has lasted 3 years.

One area a thermapen can't compete with the thermopro is the display. That big bright LED temp display is the bomb. Extremely easy to read even in low light.

Really happy with this purchase.

Greg,
I (actually, I am sure WE) really appreciate the hands on first impressions. Sounds very positive and even Larry likes his. I am still thinking about it! I am also interested in the “lesser” TP-18.

Will be interesting to see how that affects battery life.

I agree. It's something to keep an eye on. Despite pretty heavy use I've actually never replaced the AAA battery in my cheaper slower 10 buck thermopro.

The good news is that the better thermopro tp19 also uses a cheap commonly available AAA battery.

Kyle, that looks like a nice thermometer. I like the extra features on it too. It seems like a quality product, but it is outside that $20 range that seems to work for a lot of the weekend warrior grillers. It does seem like something that might be in the class of the Thermoworks MK4 and the more professional units but at a significant savings.

That is the one ATK promoted as their "best buy" for people who can't swing $100 for the expensive one. It's another one I would consider. The tipping point for me was $24.99 and a 3 year warranty.

There's a review online by a guy that somehow ended up with ALL 3 of the thermometers we've been discussing here LOL. Kind of overkill but I can kind of relate to him. I tend to do a lot of research before making a purchase and I'll sometimes buy more than one brand of an item to compare. Anyway the article is below.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Cooking/comments/cm4onq/so_i_ended_up_with_three_instant_thermometers/

Greg,
Thanks for posting that link. I really liked that review because the guy clearly wasn’t someone fronted with a free thermometer so that he could give an “unbiased” review. He seemed to draw the same reasonable conclusion others have in that Thermoworks is unquestionably the high-end, rugged choice. For many, though, it is priced too many multiples higher to justify.

I did note the big plus about the TP-19 using a AAA battery. That is a very important advantage over the otherwise appealing TP-18.

Jon, I was thinking about that as well. I like the idea of the AAA battery as well. I have one of those button batteries in my Kizen. But, at least I have a stash of those types of batteries. Most people wind up going to Walmart or some other store and paying $5 for one when they need it.

Greg,
Thanks for posting that link. I really liked that review because the guy clearly wasn’t someone fronted with a free thermometer so that he could give an “unbiased” review. He seemed to draw the same reasonable conclusion others have in that Thermoworks is unquestionably the high-end, rugged choice. For many, though, it is priced too many multiples higher to justify.

I did note the big plus about the TP-19 using a AAA battery. That is a very important advantage over the otherwise appealing TP-18.

Yeah it's not really a professional type review but it does seem free of bias. I do wonder if the author got a defective javelin that colored his review negatively towards that brand.

I agree the AAA battery (having it) is a deal breaker for me. I thought hard about a thermapen classic. I found it online for i think 60 bucks. But it uses those button batteries. The mk4 uses a AAA but it's 20 to 30 more.

For now I'm happy with my thermopro. 😊

Another ThermoPro thermometer

OK, so I was finally convinced to go with the TP-19 (over the TP-18 that appealed to me) because of the AAA battery and the better water resistance. Just as I was getting ready to pull the trigger, this newer ThermoPro TP-19H popped up. It looked very interesting and checked all the boxes. So, I spent most of the Christmas shopping Discover points we earned and ordered this. When it comes I will post pictures and a review.

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B07XXSYLL8/tvwb-20

I saw that one as well and nearly ordered it. I have a thing about backlit LCD displays though and find them hard to see at times. Which is why I went with this one I got. I am sure both have the same performance though and hell at the price point buy more than one :D You could buy 4 or 5 leave them in convenient places and still be money ahead LOL.
I see too they make this one https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B01GE77QT0/tvwb-20 as well and I might just have to pull the trigger on one as well

I'll be interested to see what you think of that one Jon. Particularly the build quality.

As Larry stated probably the main difference is LCD vs LED. The LED probably being easier to see but also possibly draining the battery quicker.

If I was in the market, the one Jon linked is the one I would get. Looks like a great product for $20

I figured I would add a quick slightly related question to this thread.
I am going to put a marinated package of skin on chicken thighs, legs and wings. They are in some Jack Daniels premade marinade in the fridge now. I plan to temp them for doneness, but I was looking for a good temp and expected time for cooking them so that I can plan the whole dinner. Also, indirect or direct cooking?
Let me know what you think.

Definitely indirect unless you want a flaming inferno. I usually take them to 165-175 depending on where I temp them

Thanks, yah, I have them low but all three burners. I can't get the grill even up to 350 with all three on high. I got the dreaded low flame issue. It started last time I went to cook. I swapped out tanks and that didn't help. I disconnected and reconnected the hose and no joy. I figured letting it set would do the trick but it is still doing it after 4 or 5 days. I guess I will be pulling the hose and regulator off next. I put that hose and regulator on when I redid the grill three years ago. I don't know if I can get to my stash in the shed to find a replacement though...I may just order a new one from Amazon to simplify things.

EDIT: Getting worse, now I am topped out at 281 at the grill grate level. Hood therm is lower than that.

Last edited:

Back