Anybody grilling?

Do like that Landman, might be tempted to jump on one if the opportunity arose. No longer at Sams yes, but have seen some at closeout places. Don't know if they're made any more. Perfect size. The Bullseye hasn't been getting the greatest reviews.

Ah, so I guess that is why the incinerated pork butt on the photo I saw. Guy reported he was not trying to do anything high heat. Just came out to an inferno. Likely the lack of grease management vs the similar looking Landman. Definitely looks like the better design of the 2 IMO

I don’t know that I’d call the ”Landman” ugly, it’s “unique”or different. Pretty cool concept to tell the truth.
I like it!
I think the shape is actually practical, especially since the side tables fold down. I just don't like the brown body color or the light copper lid. Make the body black and the lid red, and would look a lot better. I toyed with painting, but I will save that for when it is really needed. I hope it lasts that long. I only paid $150 for it a year ago at a clearance place.

The Landmann is actually pretty impressive in a number of ways. The Recteq Bullseye - it's nearest comparable grill I know of - has NO grease management. It is capable of higher heat than most kettles. (The Bullseye Deluxe - much more expensive - claims 1,000 degrees!) Anyway, Recteq relies on the diffuser to just incinerate the grease droppings. On the Landmann, the heat shield is a very heavy, stainless circle, somewhat dome shaped as it is higher in the middle. It is two-piece so that the top rotates to reveal openings for high heat searing. Closed it makes a solid shield for low and slow. Surrounding the edge of this shield is a channel that leads to a drain for the grease to go down to a conventional grease container. On this grill it looks like a coffee karafe with a handle.

View attachment 78457

View attachment 78458

View attachment 78459

I have to hand it to Landmann. Even though this kettle (sold, I believe, for a period at Sam's) never made any market penetration, it does offer some nice features. I admit it is kind of ugly. Hate the copper and brown. But, I like how it works. The only other criticism I have is that it is about one half inch narrower than a Weber kettle. Accordingly, Weber grates and accessories don't fit. Recteq did get this part right, and you will see people using Weber stuff on those.
I like the looks and size. I think Landmann is/was a German grill manufacturer. Costco had a model of one of their gas grills about 3-4 years ago. Of course I'm sure it was made in China, but the design was solid.

Sliders Again

I have taken a definite liking to the “prime rib” sliders sold by Sam’s. They have even smartened up and now offer packages of slider-sized buns right alongside of them.

I have also been enjoying my Weber Crafted Kitchen accessory sear grate. It worked out so well for me that in making the CK series Weber chose to make a holder platform that fits the modern Spirit 300 grill and which allows it retrofit to my 25-year old Summit. It’s about time to go back to my Dave Santana grates for the winter, but I had a fun fall cook on them this afternoon:

IMG_3598.jpeg

Prime rib sliders! Fudge this diet is toast. How many can I eat? Like beef jerky.
This grate? Is that like the 300 series removable middle, or a whole sheet. Need!

Prime rib sliders! Fudge this diet is toast. How many can I eat? Like beef jerky.
This grate? Is that like the 300 series removable middle, or a whole sheet. Need!

Back