any blackstone griddle fans out there?

David-B

TVWBB Super Fan
been thinking about getting the small version, looks like a blast to cook on ....is there a good alternative that could be used on a weber kettle or is the gas version better due to temp control?

Yes! I have the 17 and the 28 inch versions. They are awesome to have. I use the 17 a lot more thank I thought I would. Just did some blackened salmon the other night when I didn't want to "fish up" the house. Everything from breakfast to burgers comes out great.

Yes! I have the 17 and the 28 inch versions. They are awesome to have. I use the 17 a lot more thank I thought I would. Just did some blackened salmon the other night when I didn't want to "fish up" the house. Everything from breakfast to burgers comes out great.
cooking outside is a bonus, certain foods can smell up the house for hours which eventually bothers me... My preferred steak method is cast iron now so this is one thing I want to do plus burgers and the small size would be good for camping

I have the 22 version, with the cover. I really wish that I had gotten the one with the stand, rather than the stand-alone model. I was planning on keeping this in the garage and bringing it out to the table when needed, but it's a lot heavier and a bit larger than I was expecting, so it stays out on the patio where the one with the stand could have been anyway. I wish that they offered a collapsible stand for it like the Q or the Blue Rhino version has. I may pick up the Q stand and modify it to fit and try to gain some portability back.

All that said, I like the Blackstone very much. Gets real hot, and I'm only currently running it on the 1lb tanks. We use it for smashburgers, fajitas, and quesadillas mostly, sometimes hot dogs, splitting them lengthwise and frying them. Does a great job at toasting buns for hot dogs and burgers too. I was using a Lodge griddle on my Performer, but this is much easier and roomier, and easier to clean. Hope this helps.

Charlie

Last edited:
Not a black stone but the FIL has a camp chef. He swears by it. It put out some killer smash burgers on the 4th.

I really like mine although I've been using my Hunsaker a little more lately. Only because it was a more recent purchase.
One of my favorites to make is fried rice. I love making a bunch of noise with the spatulas, my neighbors probably wonder what I'm up to.

20190124_180708.jpg

I have the 22 that came as a package with a collapsible stand with side table and a carry bag.
We are very happy with it! The only drawback is that it is really to heavy to be portable. We got tired of packing it back up in the carry case, so we just found a spot for it and bought a cover.

is there a good alternative that could be used on a weber kettle or is the gas version better due to temp control?

Here is an option that I was looking at adding to my Weber Kettle until my family got me the below Lodge Griddle for Christmas.

I find myself using the Lodge CI griddle and my Lodge CI pans on the kettle more and more. I know it is more work with this set up then adding a Blackstone. With each great cook with CI on the kettle I think about it more and more. I just am slow to pull the trigger on most things and right now I am trying to figure out what I really want to add to my BBQ arsenal, but a Blackstone continues to be on my potential list also.

Here is an option that I was looking at adding to my Weber Kettle until my family got me the below Lodge Griddle for Christmas.

I find myself using the Lodge CI griddle and my Lodge CI pans on the kettle more and more. I know it is more work with this set up then adding a Blackstone. With each great cook with CI on the kettle I think about it more and more. I just am slow to pull the trigger on most things and right now I am trying to figure out what I really want to add to my BBQ arsenal, but a Blackstone continues to be on my potential list also.
I just bought a blackstone, and a lodge griddle similar to that one... Ive been using a 1/4" thick baking steel sheet in my kettle, it's heavy and it does an excellent job but I plan on using the lodge cast iron griddle while camping and such which is lighter weight.

I just bought a blackstone, and a lodge griddle similar to that one... Ive been using a 1/4" thick baking steel sheet in my kettle, it's heavy and it does an excellent job but I plan on using the lodge cast iron griddle while camping and such which is lighter weight.
What Blackstone did you go with?

Well I broke down and bought the smallest 17" version, been cooking on it all evening to break it in and decide if I like it. My main concern is will it do a good job at low temps as this is my preferred method for eggs and omelets for soft texture....it does, and I broke out some wagyu burger to make some hamburgers ...again temp control is excellent, which is something that I was kind of missing using the baking steel on the kettle....it was cheap enough that if the stove part doesnt last long the cooking surface section is pretty well made that it could be repurposed on another grill if needed .

I think I can get 2-3 solid cooks out of one small propane canister which include heat up time and cleaning , I felt low to med heat did everything I needed ...now to build a table-cart to put it on

I have the 36” and I purchase the NG conversion which is incredibly convenient. We cook mostly b’fast on it, but do enjoy the occasional smash burger, hibachi-night cooks. As mentioned above, cooking outside is an added bonus. Keep it well seasoned and it’ll take care of you.

Griddle fans should check out the one at Sam's Club. Looks to be very well made. Certainly better than Blackstone standards

I have considered one as a flat top is a great tool, on the other hand it reminds of my time pulling KP (kitchen police) while in the AF while waiting for my school slot to open. Learned a lot from hash browns to pancakes, and on to omelets, sure beat moping floors....

Back