any blackstone griddle fans out there?

Does this sound like a correct statement below? I'm asking, so I have a better understanding of what I should cook on a Blackstone, vs. gas grill, charcoal grill, or Lodge square cast iron griddle.

If I'm not going to smoke fish, then the Blackstone would be the best device to use for fish?

Is fish less likely to get stuck on a Blackstone, then it would a grill?
You brought an old thread back to life;-) There are lots of YouTube vids on restoring griddles. I mostly used the pumice stone and elbow grease but would not recommend it as it took forever and did not get everything off, and in the end I think I wound up using a flap disk and sandpaper and it was so much easier.

The griddle took a lot of care to keep from rusting and found I did not use it much. When I moved I had limited porch space and consolidated by selling my WSM, Performer and griddle and buying a Masterbuilt Gravity 800 that came with a griddle. In a year and a half I used the griddle once as griddling with charcoal makes no sense to me as it is cheaper, cleaner, faster, and more convenient doing it over gas. It is not like you will get charcoal flavor through cast iron. From my grill flipping I have a nice cast iron griddle, and grill grates. I use either of those on my gasser when I want to griddle something. Bacon goes on the cast iron so I can save the grease and most everything else that would fall through the grates go on the back of the Grill Greats. I cut one of my Grill Greats to fit my IR burner to do burgers and steaks and they come out wonderful. Here are some pics.20220717_172448.jpg20220722_151409.jpg20220727_173241.jpg20230604_180039.jpgIR.jpg

20220818_182820.jpg

You brought an old thread back to life;-) There are lots of YouTube vids on restoring griddles. I mostly used the pumice stone and elbow grease but would not recommend it as it took forever and did not get everything off, and in the end I think I wound up using a flap disk and sandpaper and it was so much easier.

The griddle took a lot of care to keep from rusting and found I did not use it much. When I moved I had limited porch space and consolidated by selling my WSM, Performer and griddle and buying a Masterbuilt Gravity 800 that came with a griddle. In a year and a half I used the griddle once as griddling with charcoal makes no sense to me as it is cheaper, cleaner, faster, and more convenient doing it over gas. It is not like you will get charcoal flavor through cast iron. From my grill flipping I have a nice cast iron griddle, and grill grates. I use either of those on my gasser when I want to griddle something. Bacon goes on the cast iron so I can save the grease and most everything else that would fall through the grates go on the back of the Grill Greats. I cut one of my Grill Greats to fit my IR burner to do burgers and steaks and they come out wonderful. Here are some pics.View attachment 84492View attachment 84493View attachment 84494View attachment 84495View attachment 84496

View attachment 84497
Thanks for sharing. Great pics as usual.

How do you like the smoky flavor on your Masterbuilt Gravity 800?

Thanks for sharing. Great pics as usual.

How do you like the smoky flavor on your Masterbuilt Gravity 800?
I have a thread on my Masterbuilt 800 someplace here I believe. I love it. I used to have issues with the white smoke from my WSM and my wife thought the food too smokey and some times bitter. Those thoughts have gone away with the MB. I usually have a mix of splits and charcoal with another hunk of wood on a screen above my ash pan. Within about 10 - 15 minutes it is up to temp and rolling nice smoke. Last week I spatchcocked my largest turkey at 18lbs and it was the best one ever. I wish Weber would build one of these at a higher quality level. I will be spending about $100 for a 304 stainless steel liner for the fire box as I can see the metal there worn away. I had one safety switch by the ash door fail. It took me about 5 minutes to figure out, and 1 minute to bypass it. Sitting in the basement watching TV and controlling my cook is sweet. I think there is really nothing out there at any price point that can really do what these gravity's do. I use my gasser for shorter cooks and the MB for longer cooks and stuff that will just benefit from charcoal and or smoke. Burgers, dogs, steaks, and even most wings still go on the Napoleon Prestige 500 RSIB (mostly on the IR burner).

Santa brought me a 36” Blackstone for Christmas. I’ve been toying with the idea of a griddle for a while, I guess she was listening!!
IMG_5503.jpeg

Decided to christen it with smashbugers on New Years Day, before my son headed back to Boston.
IMG_5502.jpeg
IMG_5505.jpeg

IMG_5504.jpeg
I had been doing them on a Lodge CI griddle plate on the Genesis, but this was fun. And looking foeward to breakfast, hibachi, stir fry, etc.

I have a thread on my Masterbuilt 800 someplace here I believe. I love it. I used to have issues with the white smoke from my WSM and my wife thought the food too smokey and some times bitter. Those thoughts have gone away with the MB. I usually have a mix of splits and charcoal with another hunk of wood on a screen above my ash pan. Within about 10 - 15 minutes it is up to temp and rolling nice smoke. Last week I spatchcocked my largest turkey at 18lbs and it was the best one ever. I wish Weber would build one of these at a higher quality level. I will be spending about $100 for a 304 stainless steel liner for the fire box as I can see the metal there worn away. I had one safety switch by the ash door fail. It took me about 5 minutes to figure out, and 1 minute to bypass it. Sitting in the basement watching TV and controlling my cook is sweet. I think there is really nothing out there at any price point that can really do what these gravity's do. I use my gasser for shorter cooks and the MB for longer cooks and stuff that will just benefit from charcoal and or smoke. Burgers, dogs, steaks, and even most wings still go on the Napoleon Prestige 500 RSIB (mostly on the IR burner).

Do you think if I'm not going to smoke fish, then the Blackstone would be the best device to use for fish?

I have to say I can't understand the hype around Blackstone griddles. It's just a griddle!
They have a big network of influencers who have been given products to push and it seems to have worked.
I have a carbon steel griddle for my 22' kettle and got/requested a Traveler griddle for Christmas.
Same capabilities for a fraction of the price.

Santa brought me a 36” Blackstone for Christmas. I’ve been toying with the idea of a griddle for a while, I guess she was listening!!
View attachment 84667

Decided to christen it with smashbugers on New Years Day, before my son headed back to Boston.
View attachment 84668
View attachment 84669

View attachment 84670
I had been doing them on a Lodge CI griddle plate on the Genesis, but this was fun. And looking foeward to breakfast, hibachi, stir fry, etc.
You need a big splatter mat to protect that nice paver job. I think mines 8' x 8' made of silicone and I only have a 22" tabletop griddle from sam's.

You need a big splatter mat to protect that nice paver job. I think mines 8' x 8' made of silicone and I only have a 22" tabletop griddle from sam's.
Not something I would have thought of. The dogs keep the area clean but I’m going to look into it. Probably should include the WSK as well.

I do like the patio a lot. It’s actually stamped, colored concrete.

I have to say I can't understand the hype around Blackstone griddles. It's just a griddle!
They have a big network of influencers who have been given products to push and it seems to have worked.
I have a carbon steel griddle for my 22' kettle and got/requested a Traveler griddle for Christmas.
Same capabilities for a fraction of the price.
Because before Blackstone, your options were extremely limited to not even available depending on what you wanted. They aren’t “just” a griddle. No one offered a 36”, and certainly not at a reasonable price (under $500). It just didn’t exist.

That’s why people love them. They brought large griddles to the masses, and everyone else has jumped on ship.

Just finished assembly. Are there hooks to hang tools (spatula, etc.)? Or are you supposed to put them on the bottom shelf.

Also don't think I like a battery powered ignition. If the battery dies and I'm out of batteries, it's another point that will stop me.

Because before Blackstone, your options were extremely limited to not even available depending on what you wanted. They aren’t “just” a griddle. No one offered a 36”, and certainly not at a reasonable price (under $500). It just didn’t exist.

That’s why people love them. They brought large griddles to the masses, and everyone else has jumped on ship.

It is just a griddle! It's a flat hot plate, like a very big frying pan :D
I see they are adding pellet smokers and airfryers to them. I guess some combinations will appeal to some people.
None of the influencers here managed to fill their 36" of cooking space.
Tabletop commercial griddles have been around for decades. Maybe not as pretty but functionally identical and quite a bit cheaper.

I'm obviously not a fan but they clearly popular with many people.

What influencers? I can sure fill my 36” with ease. You compared it to one for a kettle and one for a Traveler, capacity is a big difference.

I don’t get the multi cooker thing though. I think Camp Chef has those big gas and griddle combo units at Wally World, and Blackstone is doing that stuff with air fryers and such. I don’t get that.

I enjoy cooking on my Blackstone and I honestly tried using a cast iron griddle on my gas grill which is a Genesis 1000 and it flat out sucked. I had to keep the lid down to keep any kind of heat on the griddle surface. That defeats the whole point. Maybe the inserts Weber has for the new grill are better. Now I couldn't care less about the Blackstone brand. I don't think anyone does. However, Flat top grills in general are a blast to cook on whoever you buy one from. Blackstone just happened to be the first company to really get them out there. Sure, can also put a griddle surface on your kettle but you don't have any meaningful heat control. You can set up temp zones but the space is very limited. Also having a griddle surface on the kettle defeats any taste advantage of using charcoal. I promise you, you can fill up a 36 inch surface easily.

Should I get a melting cover, press, or both?

Things I would use it for are quesadillas and sandwiches.

I've read about using a press for bacon, but I cook bacon in the toaster oven, and I don't know if the rubber grip on the press can withstand a toaster oven, with some heat from the top.

I've had two cooks, I'll post about them later.

After the 2nd cook, I noticed this rust. How can I get rid of it? I guess I have to wipe it down after it cools, and I'm done using it, next time?

Attachments

• P1191383.JPG
    P1191383.JPG
    115.5 KB · Views: 9
  • P1191384.JPG
    P1191384.JPG
    99.7 KB · Views: 8
Made myself some splash guards for my 17". Also keeps the wind off as so much of our year is cooler so helps keep the surface hot as well. Always pissed when you get some splatter on the composite decking as it seems to stain pretty well permanently...

Just cut some aluminum sheets to size and riveted some spacers on to fit over the lip of the grill. Works well!

They are also cut to size so they fit right inside the chassis so when packing it down, they take up no additional space for camping etc. Also, I just toss them in the dishwasher for cleaning too.

1706393127839.png

1706393205128.png

Back