Another Summit...

Larry, this is still on CL if you are interested. He would probably be open to an "offer" if it is still available.

It is only about 10 NE of Janesville.

Those grates will not fit the Genesis. That generation Summit is deeper front to back than a Genesis. Not by a lot but enough to prevent them from working

in the first Generation of Summits (The model LMichaels has) the crossover tubes were located to the rear of the burners, with no flavorizer covering them. Because they have no protection from what falls from the grill plate above they seem to block and rot out often in machines that have a hard life.

IMO moving the the crossover tubes in the second generation of Summits to the centre of the burner, and covering them with a flavorizer bar had more to do with extending the life of the crossover tubes, stopping them from blocking up and more efficient ignition, than avoiding a hot spot.

In the third Generation (current model) each tube has has its own ignitor at the start of the burner tube, where no debris can fall. This also allows the flavorizer bars to revert to a simple straight bar, avoiding the obviously more expensive to manufacture bars fron the second Generation Summits.

"ridiculously expensive"? Compared to getting a SS frame, sides, grates etc. for $100, yes. But think about the total cost of a new 6 burner Summit..

Also, they are fun to restore....

For the grates, my brother has a Summit of that generation and it had the stamped grates at first. HE asked me to over haul it for him and get him some "real" grates. I ordered grates for it from RCPLanebuyer and when they came I tried fitting them to my Genesis and they would not fit. They are too long (front to back). I tried fitting the grates from my own Summit 450 and they "fell in". I have seen a few Genesis platinums BTW and never once say a stainless frame. The frame was powder coated in a gray/silver color to look like SS. Also the Summit line grills I have seen of the 2nd generation had frames that were not SS but powder coated to have a stainless "look". Perhaps Weber sent different AKA better product to Australia? But honestly the only Weber product I have ever laid eyes on with SS frame was a Vieluxe which I would really like to get my hands on

LM, do you know which specific model your brother has ? Here's why I'm asking. I stumbled across this document last night while researching this.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=18&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjq3q_MnvvYAhWK2VMKHfz3DHE4ChAWCJUBMAc&url=http%3A%2F%2Fcontent.abt.com%2Fdocuments%2F55825%2FFlavor%2520Bars%2520and%2520Grates.pdf&usg=AOvVaw17MFJS6Abv7ozB1nf1YfRL

It looks to be a kind of Service/Parts Dept specs lookup document from ABT.com. Scroll down to page 3 and check out the dimensions listed for the various Summit grills.

Oh, and here's a Vieluxe for a decent enough price. Not sure how far it is from you or if it's still available.

https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/hsh/d/weber-vieluxe-44-inch-natural/6426447150.html

Dave to say that grill is gorgeous would be an understatement I wish it was near me in ATL would have to beg the wife but I think it would be worth it.

Brian

Also the Summit line grills I have seen of the 2nd generation had frames that were not SS but powder coated to have a stainless "look". Perhaps Weber sent different AKA better product to Australia?

The Summit Platinum frames are welded 304 SS.

Product Description
Summit Platinum gas grills feature 4 and 6 stainless steel burners, stainless steel frame, infinitely adjustable burner valve, heavy-duty stainless steel Flavorizer bars, 3/8-inch diameter robot welded stainless steel rod cooking grates, a double-walled stainless steel hood adds a layer of insulation to trap heat and protect the stainless steel hood from discoloring, two thermoset swing-up work surfaces with stainless steel inserts, removable thermoset work surface with stainless steel insert, locking casters and crackproof all-weather wheels, electronic Crossover ignition system, and an enclosed storage area with stainless steel doors, handles, side and rear panels. A total of 10 fasteners are all that is required to join the cooking module and frame assembly. All models feature a limited lifetime warranty. Natural gas models come with a 12 foot quick disconnect hose. The Summit Platinum D6 features 6 stainless steel burners, 57,600 BTU-per-hour input, 902 sq. inches of total cooking area, 12,000 BTU-per-hour input side burner, smoker box, dedicated 8,000 BTU-per-hour input stainless steel smoker burner, stainless steel rotisserie spit powered by a heavy-duty 110-volt electric motor, and a dedicated 9,600 BTU-per-hour input rear mounted infrared rotisserie burner.

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000659JQK/tvwb-20

The only 'better' spec. Weber product we have in Australia seems to be the LP gas kit we can get for the 22.5 kettle, which is not available in the USA.

The Summit Platinum frames are welded 304 SS.

Product Description
Summit Platinum gas grills feature 4 and 6 stainless steel burners, stainless steel frame, infinitely adjustable burner valve, heavy-duty stainless steel Flavorizer bars, 3/8-inch diameter robot welded stainless steel rod cooking grates, a double-walled stainless steel hood adds a layer of insulation to trap heat and protect the stainless steel hood from discoloring, two thermoset swing-up work surfaces with stainless steel inserts, removable thermoset work surface with stainless steel insert, locking casters and crackproof all-weather wheels, electronic Crossover ignition system, and an enclosed storage area with stainless steel doors, handles, side and rear panels. A total of 10 fasteners are all that is required to join the cooking module and frame assembly. All models feature a limited lifetime warranty. Natural gas models come with a 12 foot quick disconnect hose. The Summit Platinum D6 features 6 stainless steel burners, 57,600 BTU-per-hour input, 902 sq. inches of total cooking area, 12,000 BTU-per-hour input side burner, smoker box, dedicated 8,000 BTU-per-hour input stainless steel smoker burner, stainless steel rotisserie spit powered by a heavy-duty 110-volt electric motor, and a dedicated 9,600 BTU-per-hour input rear mounted infrared rotisserie burner.

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000659JQK/tvwb-20

The only 'better' spec. Weber product we have in Australia seems to be the LP gas kit we can get for the 22.5 kettle, which is not available in the USA.

Wow! Well this thread has provoked some interesting input. There is also a Genesis Platinum currently on my area OfferUp. The pictures are never that great, but looking at this one, it DOES seem that the frame looks like stainless:

1072lnb.jpg

Stephen,

Thanks again for supplying some great info. I would enjoy seeing more about the gas conversion kit for the kettle. As far as the Vieluxe goes they definitely are special. I would love to see one in person, but they aren't very common even here in the US. I think you would have to have a strong commitment and availability of parts fabrication if you expect to keep one of those going.

You folks in Australia probably still get to see some old examples of another grill I think is totally cool: the flat top:

33nvpzt.jpg

a0wk76.jpg

I understand they were aimed more at your market, although apparently some were sold here as well.

33vgt4m.jpg

Would LOVE to see one. I know you can just take the lid off a first-generation Summit, but it wouldn't really be the same! So, I guess there are advantages to enjoying grills "down under"!

Thanks and best wishes!

Jon

Stephen,

Thanks again for supplying some great info. I would enjoy seeing more about the gas conversion kit for the kettle. As far as the Vieluxe goes they definitely are special. I would love to see one in person, but they aren't very common even here in the US. I think you would have to have a strong commitment and availability of parts fabrication if you expect to keep one of those going.

You folks in Australia probably still get to see some old examples of another grill I think is totally cool: the flat top:

33nvpzt.jpg

a0wk76.jpg

I understand they were aimed more at your market, although apparently some were sold here as well.

33vgt4m.jpg

Would LOVE to see one. I know you can just take the lid off a first-generation Summit, but it wouldn't really be the same! So, I guess there are advantages to enjoying grills "down under"!

Hi Jon,
the 600FT & the 400FT are pretty common here, and fairly easy to pickup for not much money (I think I paid about $75 for my 600FT). The problem is just what do you cook on them? Bacon & eggs? Once you get used to cooking on a BBQ with a lid, it is not easy to go back to cooking without one.

I will do you a deal, you find me a Vieluxe, and a realistic means to get it to Australia, I will find you a 600FT, a 400FT and a 22.5 LPG gas kit.:coolkettle:

Well, we all can dream.:rolleyes:

I am not too worried about Vieluxe parts, they seem to be available , and the units themselves look built to last,

Actually they down-speced the 600/400FTs in Australia. We got the stamped SS grills, not the SS rod grills that came with the 600/400FTs in the USA.

Keep up the good work!

StephenR

I have been away from my grills, and just got home today, so I had delayed commenting on which grates fit what etc., rather than trust my memory.

I can confirm DaveW's list from ABT.com. First Generation Summit, Second Generation Summit and the Genesis 1000-5500 series take the same 17.25 inch deep grill grates.

They do interchange.

Third Generation Summit (Current model) grill grates are 19.25 inches deep so do not swap.

Jon, your Skyline project needs those SS rod grates.......

Totally not sure of the exact "model" of my brother's grill but I do know it's a 2nd generation Summit 4 burner with side burner and when I tried slipping his grates onto my Genesis 2 they were too big and my grates just fell in. Not sure what to say about that. As for Genesis Platinum frames I have looked at 2 or 3 of the "Platinum" Genesis grills because the design intrigued me. Every one of them had frames painted silver. Faux stainless look. So perhaps there were some orphan years or models if people here actually have found them with stainless frames

Hi Jon,
the 600FT & the 400FT are pretty common here, and fairly easy to pickup for not much money (I think I paid about $75 for my 600FT). The problem is just what do you cook on them? Bacon & eggs? Once you get used to cooking on a BBQ with a lid, it is not easy to go back to cooking without one.

I will do you a deal, you find me a Vieluxe, and a realistic means to get it to Australia, I will find you a 600FT, a 400FT and a 22.5 LPG gas kit.:coolkettle:

Well, we all can dream.:rolleyes:

I am not too worried about Vieluxe parts, they seem to be available , and the units themselves look built to last,

Actually they down-speced the 600/400FTs in Australia. We got the stamped SS grills, not the SS rod grills that came with the 600/400FTs in the USA.

Keep up the good work!

StephenR

Stephen,

I sure wish I could take you up on that offer! If I only had plenty of $ and access to a maritime freight company;)!

I suppose neither one of us are very likely to get the grill we pine for. I do somewhat sadly agree that the attraction of the Flat Top would probably wear off in time, but it just looks SO COOL:cool:! The Vieluxe, on the other hand, is truly a spectacular grill with lots of usefulness. Maybe somehow it could still work out for you to obtain one. It would definitely cost a bundle.

Stainless rod grates and other choices...

Jon, your Skyline project needs those SS rod grates.......[/QUOTE]

Stephen,

That is the one part of my dream restore that I am really still struggling with:

1) I love cooking with cast iron and came into a set of original, non-porcelain-plated grates for the Genesis.
2ylvhqh.jpg

Some, rust but redeemable. Kept seasoned properly, these look and cook great. I like the old ones better than the porcelain coated ones because the porcelain inevitably chips off.

2) Stainless rods are definitely the practical and excellent cooking choice for my Florida environment.
9bko7c.jpg

Seem to do about as well as cast iron for cooking; some say better. Other than when new, though, they don't have the looks appeal to me. They do last a LONG time. Hard to go wrong with these, especially if you get high-quality ones like Dave Santana "rcplanebuyer" makes. You are probably right in your recommendation, but...

3) I picked up an unused example of the original Weber porcelain-covered steel smoke box made for the Genesis.
167t9qg.jpg

It integrates with the dual layer of 13 flavorizer bars, whereas the later stainless version was made for the 5 bar grills. I know that many don't think these smokeboxes are worthwhile, but I have always liked them. Having a Weber original is extra special to me. It comes with a shorter version of the old stamped porcelain plated steel grate.
qpqgkw.jpg

I actually have a decent set of these from one of my many cast off grills, so I could make a nice match with the one that came with the smokebox. Yes, I know these probably don't cook as well and won't last for years and years. But, I actually think that when seasoned they DO look kind of cool:cool: and very original Weber.
Thus, they have their appeal and I think they would look very appropriate on my Skyline grill, especially with the matching smokebox. Haven't cooked on a set in years, so maybe I would sour on them after having been spoiled with stainless rods and my recent great experiences with the cast iron on the Q.

4) Finally, there are those GrillGrates.
10mmmtv.jpg

Loved by many, spurned by others. I really want to do a test of these vs. cast iron and maybe compare all 4 of these types in some kind of semi-objective analysis. I would like to see for myself and create something for others to help evaluate GrillGrates vs. the more traditional choices. Maybe after tax season!

So, I am still not sure what to do about grates:confused:. Might just have to maintain a couple or more sets and alternate them:rolleyes:!

Last edited:
If you have CI grates and like them, then I see no reason to trade up to SS grates. RCPlanebuyer would be nice, but like you said, CI is a perfect metal for grilling. They hold heat really well and are just great with cooking meat. Cleanup and longevity are the only downsides I can see.

I bought one of those SS smoker boxes for my Genesis 1000 and love it. It works great. I remove the 8 top Flavo bars and just use the bottom ones when I am using the smoker. It is "V" shaped and fits between the flavo bars. (RCPlanebuyer Flavo bars by the way).

You can accomplish the same thing as grill grates by simply putting a perforated sheet(s) of either stainless or aluminum under the grates you currently have. It'll work exactly the same

You can accomplish the same thing as grill grates by simply putting a perforated sheet(s) of either stainless or aluminum under the grates you currently have. It'll work exactly the same

Larry,

That is actually pretty interesting. I guess the perforated flat part somehow concentrates heat to the upper grate part - the so-called "infrared" aspect of this arrangement. I know you don't like anything about the concept, but so many people report wonderful results that I find it hard to just dismiss. I am definitely curious what would happen if you made a stainless sheet with the same perforations and put that under cast iron grates. Maybe I can get my friend to help one more time and then add that idea to the comparison video I so want to do.

Jon

It's basically for people who are lazy grillers. CharBroil has been calling it "TruInfrared" by using something similar to GrillGrates. Basically a stainless steel version of them. (which IMO makes more sense than aluminum). NexGrill and a number of others have gotten in on the act by going the perforated sheet route. The BroilMaster I used to own did a similar thing by using perforated ceramic tiles completely covering the burner. That method actually worked very much like a true IR burner. I think the perforated sheet of metal is actually the easiest and cheapest way to do it though

Back