another pile of mesquite shredded chuck? yep.

GMarnech

TVWBB Member
so, last week i smoked a chuck roast for pulled beef, & it was so excellent, i decided to do it again this week. i experimented with applying the high heat brisket method to the chuck, & it worked out great :)

see for yourself:

20160826_002352-1024x576.jpg

full play by play, including a photo of my really sweet dog, meatloaf: http://www.smokinchemist.com/2016/08/26/smoked-chuck-roast/

let me tell you, it is some very tasty barbecue. we all know how great pulled pork is, but i was surprised to find out just how delicious this pulled beef is. i would say it is easily as good as the pork. it will really blow you away, especially if you go with the mesquite.

That is some awesome beef you have and just thinking about sandwiches makes my mouth water. Outstanding job and a great show.

I did a low slow chuck and it was not fit for human consumption. Please share your method with me either here or by PM. The pulled chuck just looks so wonderful I want to do one and be able to eat it!
Help me out here!

I did a low slow chuck and it was not fit for human consumption. Please share your method with me either here or by PM. The pulled chuck just looks so wonderful I want to do one and be able to eat it!
Help me out here!

of course! first, what went wrong with your attempt that is was inedible?

so this one that i posted here was an experiment with the high heat method for pulled beef, & while it did turn out well, my honest assessment of both is that low & slow does achieve slightly better results concerning overall tenderness. considering the high heat only saves about maybe 2 hours or so compared to low & slow, i would recommend that for the chuck roast. for me, the keys are cutting the roast up into several smaller pieces- try to make them as even as you can, so they will cook at relatively the same pace. use a full water pan, and adjust vents as needed to stay around 225-250F. the internal temp you are looking for is usually at least mid-high 190s, but even if you are at that point, if it is not stupid tender you will not be able to pull it, & you will have all sorts of unmelted fat inside. when i take it off, i usually only like to let it rest for maybe 20 or 30 min. the warmer it is, the more beautifully it will shred for you.

you can check out my full write up of the high heat here http://www.smokinchemist.com/2016/08/26/smoked-chuck-roast/ if you decide that is the way you want to go as well.

Thanks!
I went ~250 for almost seven hours and it never got above 135 IT!
Not to tough to maintain the temp but, I was getting hungry and bored! I simply could not get internal temp to break through, I wanted to make it work so badly. It was a second project with a maverick tip top controller the first run on ribs did well. I was just hoping this would have yielded better results. The roast was not miserably expensive so, I'm chalking to up to learning experience but, this is the first real failure I felt I've had in a long time. New tools, new knowledge.

Back