Another Genesis 1000 rehab, FB marketplace find for free

Just received my new grates from bbqparts.com. Now I wonder if I am being too nit picky. The grates are nice and heavy, fit nicely on my grill. Though a very slight diagonal wobble. what really bothers me though is how roughly textured some of the rods are. When looking up close they seem to be deep scratches. There are also a couple of nicks that catch your finger nail. Maybe my expectations are higher because we have nice all clad stainless steel pans in our kitchen.

however I still feel that for the money these cost they should be smooth to the touch and blemish free. Do you think I am being too picky for something that is used for cooking outside?
I don't think you're being too picky, both of those things would bother me. Every time you brush that wobbly grate it's going to bounce up and down and aggravate you. If you had only paid 50 bucks I might say you get what you paid for but these were a lot more than that and should be pretty much perfect in my opinion.

Have you verified that the cookbox is not warped? You could take the grates inside and lay them upside down on the kitchen counter and Verify that they are warped.

Have you verified that the cookbox is not warped? You could take the grates inside and lay them upside down on the kitchen counter and Verify that they are warped.
Yeah, that was my first thought! I tested them on a level surface inside. the wobble on the new ones is so slight I don’t think it would bother me. It’s the roup texture and scratches on the rods. I just realized that I never sent back the Quilimetal ones and I was comparing them. they don't have the any blemishes or scratches. Just a really pronounced wobble.

You could always try bending them back into shape
i will probably just reorder them after sending back. i wasn’t really sure where or how to bend them to get them to lie flat.

I also don‘t want to disparage bbqparts.com. I also ordered an original weber cover for the grill from them that is no longer available, fits perfect and was a good price. Shipping and communication is also great with them. I am just surprised that these grates look and feel the way they do. From reading other reviews I feel like I am just unlucky and got some grates that slipped through quality control with a poor finish.

I agree that a “second” somehow slipped through to you. Bbqparts.com is a great company. I think if you send them a picture and explanation they will make this right.

I bought a set of their grates a few years ago when I did my extensive review of stainless rod grates. The set I got was top drawer. I frequently recommend bbqparts.com and these grates specifically. I really would like to see you get this resolved fairly so that I can continue to recommend them.

bbqparts.com has been great. They immediately offered to send me a ups return tag to send them back for a full refund if I was unhappy. I think I am going to keep them though. Looking at the rough parts I thought were scratches look like artifacts from manufacturing. I doubt this would have any affect on cooking.they also fit the grill great and that slight wobble was completely eliminated once on the grill. My main concerns were scratched steel that could potentially rust or cause food to stick. I don’t think I would need to worry about either. Here are some photos I took up close.

i will probably also order the warming rack and basket from them as well.

5D156A23-460C-4CF9-8C37-1F40F6AA8604.jpeg2E6FC1B2-0915-464B-B98C-225FF1C9E965.jpeg0000FDBB-4CD5-4B9E-9098-4A3D8054916F.jpeg

Yah, I would say those are manufacturing marks. Either in the manufacture of the rod stock or in the grates, but either way, I don't think they should be there. Probably not a big deal if they don't bother you though.

I am glad that bbqparts.com was happy to stand by their product. That reconfirms my confidence in them. I also think after a few cooks you won’t even see those marks. Bring solid 304 stainless you gave nothing to worry about regarding any possibility of rust.

Have fun grilling and post a picture of some rib eyes or strip steaks breaking them in😎!

You can get those so they look virtually brand new inside it you take the time. But for a personal grill, you did more than enough. It is just going to get recoated and burned on anyway.

You can get those so they look virtually brand new inside it you take the time. But for a personal grill, you did more than enough. It is just going to get recoated and burned on anyway.
Those "smudges" that are left on there, do you know what they are?

Will they come out with degreaser and a sponge, or do I just need to scrape even harder?

It is tough to tell from your picture but it's probably just left over it's over burnt on carbon.. You can probably get the rest of it off with Some Number's number 0000 steel wool And a good cleaner like simple green. Sometimes there is defects in the inside of the lids that cannot be removed. But generally, it will be as shiny as the outside when clean. The stuff on the underside of the front of the lid is definitely carbon that can be removed either with more razor work or steel wool. The razor is the most efficient, but, the steel wool will get the remaining small spots left over.

I am glad that bbqparts.com was happy to stand by their product. That reconfirms my confidence in them. I also think after a few cooks you won’t even see those marks. Bring solid 304 stainless you gave nothing to worry about regarding any possibility of rust.

Have fun grilling and post a picture of some rib eyes or strip steaks breaking them in😎!
finally got this grill going, just in time for the short Vermont Fall season. Just need to do the side tables. I already cut some cedar 1 x 2’s which I’ll just finish with teak oil. Same for the previously blackened with crud wood handle bar

unfortunately I didn’t have any strips. The skirts were in the freezer. But I got this sirloin from farm nearby

70113A70-DDA2-442E-8B8C-AFF9D2421588.jpeg

9A2F5253-D63D-40A5-8FE7-971F62D381ED.jpeg

523DA976-0892-4F3B-999C-D703F796EC17.jpeg

Last edited:
Some people would fret over the uneven cooking on the grill. Don't. Now that you know where the hot/cool spots are, just cook accordingly. Maybe turn the back burner down a little if you want to.
That Sirloin looks great.

Back