An easy overnight Pork Butt

Dwain Pannell

TVWBB Hall of Fame
I brined a butt in saltwater and rub mixture all day, then filled the WSM with Stubbs and put a butt on for an easy overnighter.

I rubbed it with spicy brown and dusted it with Bad Byron's

I monitored temps with the iGrill

This AM I woke to the WSM chugging away. I decided to do some scotch eggs and a chub of sausage over some baked beans doctored with bourbon, rib trimmings, ketchup, and mustard.

About 12 hours later I ended up with a meteorite

SWMBO made some EXCELLENT true German Potato Salad and some cole slaw. Served with various condiments and sauces to include No 5, Bourbon-Q, Sweat Baby rays, and Big Bob Gipson's. The bark was awesome

I ate mine with No 5

Last edited:
Dwain,

Supreme plate of Awesome Goodness ! (roughly translated... That looks Great) ;)
Side looking good also... especially my favorite potato dish...

Bob

Thanks folks

Care to share your bean recipe with me? They look delicious!

There's really no recipe. This time we started with Bush's and added about a half pound of smoked rib trimmings from a rack of spare ribs, once around the pan with spicy brown mustard, once around with ketchup, about a half cup or so of Maker's Mark, and about 3 TBS of Molases.

Spectacular! What are your thoughts on the iGrill now that you've used it a few times?

I really like it. It does use up the batteries. I started it at 10 PM last night and by noon today it was bugging out. When the battery strength goes down the bluetooth distance decreases so I will be looking into rechargeables soon.

Last edited:
Dwain;
Excellent cook with a great report!

Regarding your batteries. Devices like the iGrill may lay around more than they are used. Typical rechargeable batteries lose half their power just laying around for a couple of weeks.

Eneloop (by Sanyo) batteries may be charged 1500 times, but perhaps more importantly, they hold their charge nearly forever (80% for a year). I am a photographer and when I need my flash, I NEED it! It is always ready to go thanks to the Eneloop batteries. Amazon has them for under $10.00 for four and they last nearly forever. I have replaced most of my battery needs with them. Another example, my wireless computer mouse eats a pair of batteries in two weeks. The eneloops last months. Your first set you''ll need the charger but all others you can buy just the batteries. They have them in both AA and AAA sizes.

Just a thought (I am NOT connected to Eneloop in any way).

FWIW
Dale53

Dwain;
Excellent cook with a great report!

Regarding your batteries. Devices like the iGrill may lay around more than they are used. Typical rechargeable batteries lose half their power just laying around for a couple of weeks.

Eneloop (by Sanyo) batteries may be charged 1500 times, but perhaps more importantly, they hold their charge nearly forever (80% for a year). I am a photographer and when I need my flash, I NEED it! It is always ready to go thanks to the Eneloop batteries. Amazon has them for under $10.00 for four and they last nearly forever. I have replaced most of my battery needs with them. Another example, my wireless computer mouse eats a pair of batteries in two weeks. The eneloops last months. Your first set you''ll need the charger but all others you can buy just the batteries. They have them in both AA and AAA sizes.

Just a thought (I am NOT connected to Eneloop in any way).

FWIW
Dale53

My thoughts exactly. I too believe NiMH are the way to go. Plenty to consider.

Dwain,

Would you be willing to share your German Potato Salad recipe ? We've have been using the MIL's, with major modifications... ;)

Bob

Back