Amount of brisket for 20 lbs. of cooked product?

Troy S

TVWBB Fan
Hello to my TVWBB friends,

It's that time of year again. I've been called upon to cater for another event. Y'all were instrumental in helping me out last year, and I am eternally grateful.

I've been asked to throw down 20 lbs. of brisket for an event this Sunday. My burning question: do you think 40-42 lbs. of raw brisket is enough? Taking the post-trim and post-cook shrinkage into account.

Last year for an event -- same place -- I threw down about 35-40 lbs. of brisket, 40 lbs. of pulled pork, some poppers and some wings. The brisket was gone (considering everyone eating + folks taking some home with them for leftovers) quick.

This year, he's just asking for 20 lbs. of brisket, 36 wings and 24 poppers. They are supposed to be taking care of the sides. Comically, I'm also making a vegan dish for three guests there ('jackfruit pulled pork', which I have never made before in my life, as I hardly know what jackfruit even is), but I digress!

I've been trying to do the math in my head. I'm hoping to find two 20-22 lb. briskets at Sam's Club tomorrow morning and hoping that will be enough. I'm guessing the hard fat trimming will take off at least 4-5 lbs. on both and the cook will result in roughly 40% shrinkage.

What say you? I would really love and appreciate any advice from y'all.

I weighed my last brisket after removing from the pit. It was less than half of the packaged weight. I got 45% when calculated. So, 50% +/- 5% is good advice in my book. When I cater, I generally pad it by a bit and then keep the excess for myself and either freeze or eat right away. So for your requested 20lbs, I'd probably shoot for maybe 25lbs and keep any excess. That;'s better than coming up with 15lbs.

The briskets I get from Sams or Costco consistently yield 40-45%. I'm guessing that the extra trimming required versus a brisket from the butcher is the culprit. Hard to pass up Prime brisket at $4.66/# even if the yield is a bit lower.

This is another reason I prefer tri-tip. Very little trimming loss and much less shrinkage and cooked weight loss. Not to mention, I like the texture and flavor better.

50% is a good rough guide . But it all depends on how much water and how much fat that brisket has on it . I've trimmed several pounds of fat off of 17 lb brisket before even starting cooking it. I probably average closer to 40 45. And if that point comes out too fatty to be reasonably edible........ Well then you got a problem too. I find I get better results with choice biscuits than prime because the point on the primes always ends up being extremely fatty

Thanks, everybody.

I went to Sam's Club on Friday morning; biggest brisket they had was a few a little over 18 lbs. I bought an 18.45 lb'er, a 15.28 lb'er and then grabbed a 11.78 lb'er. Cooked two of them overnight in the 22.5" WSM on Friday night; they both finished up between 11am-2pm. I placed the smallest one in one of my Barrel House Cookers on Saturday morning.

Both the cooks and the dinner event went well! I was happy to see remainders still in the pan when all was said and done at the event, because they were hoping for leftovers.

As far as I'm concerned, this is the best cookin' community on the web. Always so helpful, friendly and willing to lend subjective opinions. I always appreciate it. I have been barbecuing for almost five years, from hot and humid summers to frigid winters, and still forever learning as I hope to always will be. I enjoy reading about others' methods so much.

@Chuck-roaniecowpony I love tri-tip! I have only been able to cook one, one time, and that was in April 2018 after I bought one from a meat shop a couple hours away. Here in swVA, they are hard to acquire, and I have no idea why. Such an amazing cut of beef.

Prices are wild right now, for brisket. I could find choice packers for $2.96/lb this time last year. Just about doubled in price since.

Back