Alton Brown BBQ Sauce Recipe

Doug M

TVWBB Member
Any thoughts on this Alton Brown barbeque sauce recipe I found?

The World's Best BBQ Sauce

8 TBS Light Brown Sugar
3 TBS Salt
1 TBS Chili Powder
1/2 TSP Pepper
1/2 TSP Cayenne
1/2 TSP Jalapeno Seasoning
1/2 TSP "Old Bay"
1/2 TSP Thyme
1/2 TSP Onion Powder
2 TBS Crisco
2 TBS Roasted Garlic
1 C. White Wine
2 TBS Vinegar
2 TBS Worcestershire
1 TBS Honey
1 TBS Maple Syrup
1 TBS Molasses

Boil & simmer until reduced to a tacky consistency.

Haven’t tried making homemade sauce before, but after reading through the pages about the No.5 Sauce, I think that looks like a more promising place to start…

Just made No. 5 sauce - the basic version - for the first time last Saturday to accompany 16 Lbs of pork butt and a brisket flat for a Sunday pre-Memorial Day throw-down I hosted.

Gotta say it was delicious, considering the limited number of ingredients, and everyone raved over it. It's a keeper for me!

Can't beat a homemade sauce for freshness and cost. Commercial sauces run you $5 and up where a homemade sauce is closer to $1.50. The No.5 sauce is a great base to build on. Try adding some meat juices, pineapple juice and chipotle powder. Even better, start with carmelizing onions with garlic before adding the base ingredients. Finish it with fresh lemon juice and you have a better than bought sauce for 1/3rd the cost.

What is this No. 5 sauce you speak so highly of? Where might i find the recipe? I've been using a simple mix of ketchup molasses vinegar and some spices heated up which I make a little differently every time because I never write down what I do.

This is what I have for No 5.

No. 5 Sauce

1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon worchestershire sauce
1 tablespoon rub

Opional but v. good: 1/4 cup meat drippings
(whats left in the foil after the rest)

Simmer to marry the flavors and thicken as desired.

Back