Also going tri-tip!

Mike Durso

TVWBB Super Fan
Whelp.. I’m blaming everyone here (and at the other forum that I just posted at...) Cut/paste...

This weekend I’ll get out the RED kettle that I don’t know if I’ve ever used it?? I may get out the adjustable lower grate or maybe the heavy duty incredible dude level wire baskets that I had welded up. If I do, maybe the 14 proto…

But I’m going Tri-tip. It was Pat G's post that got me hankerin for one.

Opening it up to everyone since it’s been a while since I’ve done one. How do you all want me to cook it? Any thoughts to wood to burn with this? I have some apple, or maybe just a little mesquite. It can get a little sharp with that. Hickory.. eh.. that’s for the pork. Maybe none at all.

Thoughts? Recipes? Sides? What' y'all got?

this Californian's thoughts ...

over California Coastal Red Oak
light covering of Salt, Pepper, Garlic
Cook to Medium Rare
Rest before slicing, against the grain.
1/4" slices or thinner

Yep. I've been using post oak lately on beef and I'm really liking the flavor.

Red oak for me in moderate amounts. Do SPOG (salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder) lightly for the seasoning. Cook to 125-130, rest covered for up to 30 minuet's.

For sides with Tri-Tip - I like some simple Pico De Gallo (if there's a farm-stand near you this is a GREAT time of the year)
-Those nice, medium tomatoes that come on the stalks - seeded and diced
-A little Onion
-Maybe a Medium-Hot yellow pepper or two and / or seeded Jalapeno
-Big bunch of Cilantro
-Salt and Garlic

Then a nice baked tater

Enjoy with some ice-cold beer or wine-coolers made with cheap wine while watching the game!

Sides?
"1 Bourbon, 1 Scotch, and a beer!"
Thanks George Thourogood!
Unsung things from "stock" for a burrito bar here today, brisket black bean chili, machaca, carnitas, etc.
I think my primary side will be beer!

I ended up getting a tip roast of about 3 pounds. Cherry chips and basic kingsford. Salt/pepper/garlic/sugar rub.

f79fIQu.jpg

LQnFK4x.jpg

B8PSEKn.jpg

ZHflA1w.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Oh.. and some Miller Lite and some jam bands on a Pandora station...

Back