Alright here we go!! Apologies for the redundancy!

Bruno

TVWBB Honor Circle
Alright here we go!! WSM 22 first run and cook.

My WSM 22 is coming tomorrow, my plan is to put it together Saturday morning and fire it off. No water, no meat, minion method, throttle the bottom vents at 200. I'll keep an eye on the temps with my maverick.

Sunday I want to do 2 racks of baby backs. Here is my question should I go no water again? Sand? I'd like to go no water as soon as possible and learn how to control temps.

Any pointers from you guys for the weekend would be great.

Even any advice on the ribs would be great. 2-2-1 for baby backs? Do I need to wrap?

Man is it Saturday yet?

Last edited:
200 seemed like a common number guys are throttling back to catch it on the way up.
I'm actually hoping to go 225-235 for an extended time.

It may overshoot its first time out. Time, atomized grease, and maybe a bear hug or two will take care of that.

If you can keep 225, then you'll likely see five hours. I would guess that if you cover the bottle with charcoal and throw in a handful or two (leave no gaps) and then toss on about 10 or so fully lit charcoal, that should get it going. After 5 minutes max assemble the wsm, closing the bottom vents to about 1/4 open, you should be off to a pretty good start. The secret is, don't open it, that fuels the fire. Good luck and congrats!

IMHO, why waste a cook with nothing in it. For my first cook, I bought a pound of cheap bacon and threw it in the WSM without separating the pieces. It smelled great while cooking and put out good smoke for seasoning. I did this with the idea of throwing the bacon away. I could let the WSM do its thing, see how the WSM operated, all without concern for messing up the meat. I decided to taste it and it was delicious. Bottom line, it seasoned the smoker and was actually good to eat and inexpensive.

IMHO, why waste a cook with nothing in it. For my first cook, I bought a pound of cheap bacon and threw it in the WSM without separating the pieces. It smelled great while cooking and put out good smoke for seasoning. I did this with the idea of throwing the bacon away. I could let the WSM do its thing, see how the WSM operated, all without concern for messing up the meat. I decided to taste it and it was delicious. Bottom line, it seasoned the smoker and was actually good to eat and inexpensive.
exactly the kind of input I'm looking for. Will do.

Buy a pork shoulder if you have time. Do no water just wrap pan in foil. Do both methods and see which you like better.

Buy a pork shoulder if you have time. Do no water just wrap pan in foil. Do both methods and see which you like better.

Ditto, this is a good idea to use as many different styles of cooking to find the best for you and the type foods you are working with at the time keep a note book if you have a short memory,everyday can be different as to outside temps, rain, humidity,etc, but the most important thing is to enjoy the process.

Agree with comments above. Buy a cheap butt or some bacon and cook some meat!

I have 4 WSMs and I only "seasoned" the first one. Just give it a quick wipedown, make sure all the pieces fit together well, adjust the door to fit:rolleyes:, and fire it up! It will run hot the first few times but you'll figure it out.

My first cook on my 2nd-4th WSMs were at 300+. Those were fun cooks!

Enjoy your cooker. I'm sure you will when you tear into your first butt that comes off of it

So I put a gallon of water in the water pan this morning and fired her off. I wanted to put a pound of bacon in but had to take the family out. I got it dialed in at about 250 by 10 AM when I came home at 5 it was still going at 239. I added a bunch of unlit and 1/3 chimney of lit. Put the bacon on and I'm going to let it run into the night. I'll be throwing on a couple racks of baby backs rubbed with Oakridge dominator rib rub at 11 Am tomorrow. Pics and updates to follow.

So far I love this thing and see a ton of potential.

Back