Al Pastor on a Rotisserie??

Hi So far I haven't found the Ancho's. What I did find was on my list. So you grilled your pork, I'm thinking of going with my rotisserie.
Thanks Dan

Hi-D-Ho: An Ancho is a dried Poblano, so you might be able to find a fresh Poblanos to work with. I grew up in North Jersey and lived in South Jersey for quite a while. Mexican ingredients were much easier to find down south. The F&W recipe was a shortcut around the rotisserie, and since I don't have a spinner ... For up to about 20 tacos, the slice-and-grill method might be best. You'll get some tasty char on just about every morsel.

We had leftovers for lunch the last couple of days. Still quite righteous.

Jeff

Hi-D-Ho: An Ancho is a dried Poblano, so you might be able to find a fresh Poblanos to work with. I grew up in North Jersey and lived in South Jersey for quite a while. Mexican ingredients were much easier to find down south. The F&W recipe was a shortcut around the rotisserie, and since I don't have a spinner ... For up to about 20 tacos, the slice-and-grill method might be best. You'll get some tasty char on just about every morsel.

We had leftovers for lunch the last couple of days. Still quite righteous.

Jeff

Hi Fresh Poblano's are all over the place here in North NJ. Might just go way or take the easy way out with the Pasilla dried peppers.
Thanks Dan

Hi All How long do you think the Al Pastor marinate will last in the fridge?
Thanks Dan

Hi All Finally got the guajillo,ancho chiles. I'd like to make up the marinade up ahead of time so I can adjust the heat.How long do you think it will last in the fridge?
Is Mexican oregano necessary or just use regular oregano?
Thanks Dan

Last edited:
I would thing the marinade would last a good week in the fridge.
Sure, the oregano that is in your rack should be fine. Slight difference between the two but, don’t worry about that

Hi All Finally got the guajillo,ancho chiles. I'd like to make up the marinade up ahead of time so I can adjust the heat.How long do you think it will last in the fridge?
Is Mexican oregano necessary or just use regular oregano?
Thanks Dan

I think you mentioned that your spouse is not so big on spicy heat. Our result using this marinade was in the "very mild" category. It was very tasty, mind you, just not a lot of heat. We served the tacos with just the pork, pineapple and onion. If I wanted to add heat (which I will probably do next time) I might go with a spicy cole slaw.

Jeff

I think you mentioned that your spouse is not so big on spicy heat. Our result using this marinade was in the "very mild" category. It was very tasty, mind you, just not a lot of heat. We served the tacos with just the pork, pineapple and onion. If I wanted to add heat (which I will probably do next time) I might go with a spicy cole slaw.

Jeff

Hi Sorry but which marinade are you talking about? Is it the Food & Wine recipe?
Thanks Dan

Hi All I got beef ribs, so next it is onto the Al Pastor.I'm going to use the food & wine recipe. Now I have to find a boneless butt to use.
Thanks Dan

Last edited:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oOeNtLB5rw

He shows how to do it on a rotisserie. Though I think the F&W marinade recipe is better. I'm definitely going to try this.

Wow; that's a lot of dislikes. I didn't realize there were that many negative people, lol. I don't know anything about Al Pastor - did he do something wrong in the way he made or served it? The video, itself, I liked and the ability to demonstrate how to make a recipe in under 4 minutes is nice.

Hi All Well I finally got around to making the W/F marinade for the Al Pastor..I had to add 9.6 oz of pineapple juice and 8 oz of orange juice, to make it mild enough for my wife to like. My wife was the tester.:)..I have a 4 lb bone in butt to sliced up when I ready in the next few days. Will post back with the pics and the results.

Thanks All Dan

Last edited:
Hi All The pork is in al pastor marinade, so later today the cook is on.I will be using a rotisserie on WSM 22, what cook temps should I be looking for? I was thinking 275*?
Thanks Dan

Hi My first time making them. Al Pastor is in WSM 22 on the rotisserie cooking away at 325.Looks like it is going to take awhile?
Dan

Hi All Well I finally got around to cooking the Pork Al Pastor.It took longer then I expected,next time put it on he fire earlier..Maybe on a Trompo. Wife liked it so I think that is a plus, I thought it loss some of its taste by adding more of the juice..One would think with all the ingredients it should have been tastier, but then again my taste buds are shot. I did put some of the marinade on the 2nd Taco to kick it up some. To me the best part was the grilled pineapple. I will definitely do it al pastor again, since I still have some peppers, and add so much extra juice. I also have to do a much better job on slicing next time
Thanks All Dan

Ready for the rotisserie
i1pusSmm.jpg

1st cut couldn't wait any longer :)
NSCEamz.jpg

Ready for the Taco's
U2Vl9En.jpg

2nd Taco
sgxSrVe.jpg

2nd cut
CbEgn0r.jpg

Last edited:
Hi All I need suggestions on what to make with the left over Al Pastor? I was thinking maybe Enchiladas, just need a good enchilada sauce.
Thanks Dan

Back