Adventures in Restoring a 2004 Stainless Steel Performer . . .

Tim Snyder

TVWBB Super Fan
I posted another thread about disassembling a Performer for transport. This is a thread about that grill.

MINI Performer.JPG

Thanks to help from DrewZ I felt confident I could invest a few hours driving to get the grill and not show up unprepared. (Thanks again DrewZ). That's a 2017 MINI Cooper Hardtop (2 door).

I don't have any of my own "before" pictures of the whole grill because I took it apart for transport, but I'll post a few from the Marketplace ad.

194032460_10100659297775460_2184266765394087977_n.jpg195058383_10100659297740530_8271861982208541391_n.jpg194715687_10100659297855300_4372250332231238712_n.jpg

Original asking price was $250, then $225 . . . I paid $215 (I like threads with full-disclosure, that's why I'm posting prices). I think I paid top-dollar for this grill, but what do you think? The owner was stubborn in the negotiation, but I wanted a grill I could restore to "as new" condition, for sentimental personal reasons. I restored cars for a period of time for a living, so I learned it's best to start with a good example rather than a basket case. You can see the grill, right off the bat needs parts and there were no "extras" in the deal.

First task was deep cleaning the kettle, which probably hadn't been cleaned in 17 years.

Kettle Before 2.JPGKettle before.JPGKettle inside.JPGKettle restored.JPG

Cleaning the grill inside was brutal. Inside the lid, I eventually resorted to spray-on paint stripper and oven cleaner. I know I might get some hate for that, but it worked great and I only left it on long enough to soften the satan-lava that was fused to the bowl. I see no adverse effects other than my health.

Bowl was polished with Simichrome and treated with mag wheel wax. Aluminum parts were only cleaned and "polished" enough to look new, I don't want to over-restore the grill.

It took an hour to remove the corroded burner and lid bail wire hardware from the grill (only 5 nuts!). That's just a bad idea in engineering, right there. I sourced EXACT replacement hardware in stainless steel. It seemed dumb to order just one set (shipping costs), so I ordered five sets, if anyone might need a set. Interesting that Weber used aluminum washers inside the grill, but not stainless hardware. Also interesting is that the washers are metric. Yes, 7mmx16mm. I had to source washers in aluminum in American Standard, so they are about 1mm larger.

That's all I have for now, I think have some interesting purchases and updates coming soon! (Like, NOS handle for the lid).

Thanks for viewing and I'd appreciate any comments or advice.

Last edited:
I think the price was a little high, however hindsight is 2020 & as long as your happy it's all in the past. It looks like you cleaned it up pretty good!

I would change out the lid bale for the newer version & add a wooden handle & rollers, just my .02.

I think the price was a little high, however hindsight is 2020 & as long as your happy it's all in the past. It looks like you cleaned it up pretty good!

I would change out the lid bale for the newer version & add a wooden handle & rollers, just my .02.
Thanks Eric. My goal for now is to restore it to original condition, like I just assembled it new out of the box. Later I may add accessories or improvements. I do think the price was high, the owner was adamant it wasn't. I'm sure if I didn't get it someone else would have. I passed on many Performers that eventually sold.

Some cleaned parts. The wheels, including the tread are very nice, but the white walls are shot. I thought I was being a smart guy and saving a buck by getting acrylic white walls, but I ordered the wrong size and the correct size is no longer being made by the seller. Anyone need some big whitewalls :) ?

The ash bin handle in the grill was total rust (can be seen in photos above), so I cleaned it and painted it with high-heat paint, and THEN swapped it with the handle in my 2013 user kettle. A little polishing and it looked as-new.

Amazing the quality of the enameled instruction plate for the gas bottle/ignition. I tried to clean the regulator hose so it looked new, not a bright shine.

No way I could figure out how to restore the lid handle. Found the correct one NOS on eBay for $16.00. Whew.

The One-Touch System on the Performer is stainless steel. I didn't know that. Burner tube too, I just cleaned and polished it.

I also have the frame sides and rails all cleaned and waxed, but that's boring so no photos yet. I was pleased to find zero rust inside the rails, so that makes me feel a bit better about the purchase price. I'll treat inside the frame rails with a protectant the same as I'd do on the frame rails of a car.

Parts.JPG

Last edited:
Anybody have one, or a matching pair of these early lid supports? Will trade for a set of stainless kettle hardware. Yeah, I know new is like 8 bucks, but I want the original ones.

Lid Roller.JPG

I posted another thread about disassembling a Performer for transport. This is a thread about that grill.

View attachment 29665

Thanks to help from DrewZ I felt confident I could invest a few hours driving to get the grill and not show up unprepared. (Thanks again DrewZ). That's a 2017 MINI Cooper Hardtop (2 door).

I don't have any of my own "before" pictures of the whole grill because I took it apart for transport, but I'll post a few from the Marketplace ad.

View attachment 29667View attachment 29668View attachment 29669

Original asking price was $250, then $225 . . . I paid $215 (I like threads with full-disclosure, that's why I'm posting prices). I think I paid top-dollar for this grill, but what do you think? The owner was stubborn in the negotiation, but I wanted a grill I could restore to "as new" condition, for sentimental personal reasons. I restored cars for a period of time for a living, so I learned it's best to start with a good example rather than a basket case. You can see the grill, right off the bat needs parts and there were no "extras" in the deal.

First task was deep cleaning the kettle, which probably hadn't been cleaned in 17 years.

View attachment 29670View attachment 29671View attachment 29672View attachment 29673

Cleaning the grill inside was brutal. Inside the lid, I eventually resorted to spray-on paint stripper and oven cleaner. I know I might get some hate for that, but it worked great and I only left it on long enough to soften the satan-lava that was fused to the bowl. I see no adverse effects other than my health.

Bowl was polished with Simichrome and treated with mag wheel wax. Aluminum parts were only cleaned and "polished" enough to look new, I don't want to over-restore the grill.

It took an hour to remove the corroded burner and lid bail wire hardware from the grill (only 5 nuts!). That's just a bad idea in engineering, right there. I sourced EXACT replacement hardware in stainless steel. It seemed dumb to order just one set (shipping costs), so I ordered five sets, if anyone might need a set. Interesting that Weber used aluminum washers inside the grill, but not stainless hardware. Also interesting is that the washers are metric. Yes, 7mmx16mm. I had to source washers in aluminum in American Standard, so they are about 1mm larger.

That's all I have for now, I think have some interesting purchases and updates coming soon! (Like, NOS handle for the lid).

Thanks for viewing and I'd appreciate any comments or advice.
You my man are one crazy mofo. I can't believe you go pick up an old performer, take it all apart at the persons house, to put in a mini cooper. That is some crazy right there! Have you considered a hitch and cargo carrier? No dirty parts in the car, and you just pick up, strap down, and go. Maybe even pick up a Q on the way home for in the car. BTW very nice job cleaning that thing up.

You my man are one crazy mofo. I can't believe you go pick up an old performer, take it all apart at the persons house, to put in a mini cooper. That is some crazy right there! Have you considered a hitch and cargo carrier? No dirty parts in the car, and you just pick up, strap down, and go. Maybe even pick up a Q on the way home for in the car. BTW very nice job cleaning that thing up.

Thanks Joe, I'll take that as a compliment. Normally, I have an Astro Van, but that's disabled as I'm servicing it. I have friends with trucks, but this was so last minute it just didn't work out. One makes due with what they have. Plus . . . interesting story.

Thanks Joe, I'll take that as a compliment. Normally, I have an Astro Van, but that's disabled as I'm servicing it. I have friends with trucks, but this was so last minute it just didn't work out. One makes due with what they have. Plus . . . interesting story.
It was a compliment and I thought that was the usual way you picked up stuff. Glad you have a van. It makes life so much easier.

Lookup "Chuck's Inserts" on Facebook. He can get you some new whitewalls in whatever size you need.

Nice job on the restore. You did overpay, IMO, but it looks really good. That first gen is my favorite and the one I use at home, but I lifted mine so I wouldn't have to hunch over as much during cooks.
When you are painting the frame pieces, make sure you spray some paint inside the square tubing....helps prevent them from rusting inside-out.

I have a small tackle box full of 1/4" stainless steel nuts, bolts, washers...like you said, way cheaper to buy in bulk and I can always refresh the hardware when rebuilding a grill. 1/4" is pretty standard across all Weber grills, charcoal and gas.

Last year I used my wife's 2-door Accord to pickup 30+ Performers. The newer gen Performers are very easy to tear down with just a Philips head screwdriver. Old moving blankets also help avoid too much of a mess. I got so used to the strange reactions from the sellers of the grills when I rolled up in the Accord, LOL. They were always like, you're going to put the grill in that car?

Lookup "Chuck's Inserts" on Facebook. He can get you some new whitewalls in whatever size you need.

Nice job on the restore. You did overpay, IMO, but it looks really good. That first gen is my favorite and the one I use at home, but I lifted mine so I wouldn't have to hunch over as much during cooks.
When you are painting the frame pieces, make sure you spray some paint inside the square tubing....helps prevent them from rusting inside-out.

I have a small tackle box full of 1/4" stainless steel nuts, bolts, washers...like you said, way cheaper to buy in bulk and I can always refresh the hardware when rebuilding a grill. 1/4" is pretty standard across all Weber grills, charcoal and gas.

Last year I used my wife's 2-door Accord to pickup 30+ Performers. The newer gen Performers are very easy to tear down with just a Philips head screwdriver. Old moving blankets also help avoid too much of a mess. I got so used to the strange reactions from the sellers of the grills when I rolled up in the Accord, LOL. They were always like, you're going to put the grill in that car?
30 performers? Is there any money in that? Around here they rarely sell lower than $100 and not more than $200 in nice shape. Are you doing mostly the older SS or newer fiber shelves? From your pictures you are putting in a lot of work on these.

Thanks for the comments and the "Chucks Inserts" tip. I sent him a message on Facebook for pricing.

Yeah, I was sure I overpaid. But it's the nicest one I've seen locally. Passed on one earlier in the week for $200 that was rubbish. The one I got did have a full tank of propane, so there is that.

I'm going to coat the inside of the tubes with automotive internal frame coating. I prefer that over paint.

And "Something is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it".
Which is what would have happened.

I kinda felt like I was paying a little extra so I could save it. I figured some other bonehead would buy it, but THEY would keep it uncovered in their backyard grass for the next decade.

Tim

You will enjoy that SS Gas assist Performer BBQ for many many years to come, they are built like tanks.
Great job cleaning up that beauty. $$$ Buy once buy right.(y)(y)

Which is what would have happened.

I kinda felt like I was paying a little extra so I could save it. I figured some other bonehead would buy it, but THEY would keep it uncovered in their backyard grass for the next decade.
I have often felt like that. I am starting to get over it, as I need to start fixing up the homestead and I need a break from scrubbing grills.

Stainless bowl hardware has arrived. The slotted truss head screws and the lock nuts are an excellent match to the original hardware, the aluminum washers are larger in outside diameter and a bit thinner. I'll stack them onto a mandrel and machine them to the correct size. I may just clean my original washers and use them. Photo, old on the left, new on the right.

hardware.JPG

I ordered some parts tonight from Weber. Possibly the most pleasant customer service interaction I've ever had over the phone. I spoke with Mark, I had all of the part numbers ready, he was very helpful and was very interested in the project. Even gave me an email address where I could send photos. Seems Weber is very aware of the enthusiast community and they seem to have some appreciation for it. I have all my grills registered. I was given a substantial discount on the parts I ordered, best prices available anywhere. Part numbers listed for future reference. Not sure if it's a good idea to disclose prices, but I will say they gave me the t-shirt for free (y).

Weber parts.JPG

Last edited:
I thought this was interesting. My Performer project has an instruction label on the propane tank holder. I've seen some used Performers with a washed out white blank in that spot, but I've never seen an intact label.

Why? Because at the bottom of the label it says "Remove label after installation". Hahahahaha, so much for following instructions, right?

Weber part number 39949, dated 9/91. If I get some free time I might reproduce this, just for the fun of it. Then you can own your own example of how not to follow instructions. :ROFLMAO:

Tank holder label.JPG

Last edited:

Back