Adventures in Restoring a 2004 Stainless Steel Performer . . .

Tim - you are doing an AMAZING job! I bought a SS Performer earlier this year and was planning to refurb it but lost interest. Your post has me rejuvinated! Keep it going!

View attachment 31009

Weber calls these, "Wire charcoal basket for the Performer model grills p/n 960080".

New in the front, used in the back. Slight green/yellow tint is the oxalic acid doing it's job. New baskets are bare steel coated in a preservative of some sort. They came wrapped in brown paper. No box, no labels, unlike the wheels. Go figure.

Photo below is the used baskets as purchased. Very rusty, in hindsight, maybe not worth the time cleaning them. Oh well, they are better now.

View attachment 31022
Tim - love reading about your project. This is so awesome. And great to hear about how Weber supported your effort. Question for you on stainless - have you ever used an electrolysis set up to take the corrosion off? I haven't personally tried it yet and curious to hear if anyone has had success with that approach using a battery charger / sacrificial metal set up. Appreciate all the posts. Great work!

Tim - love reading about your project. This is so awesome. And great to hear about how Weber supported your effort. Question for you on stainless - have you ever used an electrolysis set up to take the corrosion off? I haven't personally tried it yet and curious to hear if anyone has had success with that approach using a battery charger / sacrificial metal set up. Appreciate all the posts. Great work!

Hi Chris, thank you very much for the compliments, I'm glad you're enjoying the project. ;)

Yes, I've used electrolysis extensively to clean corroded and rusted parts. It's cheap if you have the supplies around the house and kind of fun to do. I even thought about setting up a tank to use for this project. My only issue with electrolysis is the black oxide/magnetite layer left behind on the parts. Sometimes it's a real bugger to remove. It's just easier to use an acid or something like Evapo-rust for some parts. Although, the charcoal baskets are taking their time getting clean, I think I need to mix a fresh solution of oxalic acid because they were so rusty to begin with.

Last edited:

Back