Adventures in Restoring a 2004 Stainless Steel Performer . . .

Just organizing my other related posts into this thread for continuity. "Custom" Performer emblem based on the Weber logo font and my reproduction propane tank label. (That's a day of my life I'll never get back, so boring to design). My propane tank label was beat, I just couldn't pass it off on a restoration project. Low resolution image on the propane label, the printed versions are crisp and clean.

Performer Logo 1.JPGLP label.JPG

Oxalic acid doing it's job. Just look at that rusty soup. One teaspoon per gallon, remove the rusty parts every so often and give them a brush to move things along. I like oxalic acid for removing rust because it's cheap, relatively safe (it is an acid, so beware), and it doesn't leave a residue behind.

Oxalic acid.JPG

Easy peasy Weber squeezy emblem restoration. Hit it with some spray paint stripper, brush, paint with satin black spray paint, sand on 220 grit paper on a flat surface. Add a coat or two of automotive paste wax for protection. Or, you could just buy a new one from Weber for $9.00, PN 51406.

(Update, # 51406 isn't this emblem anymore, it's the stamped chrome emblem used on the later grills. I guess it fits, but it's not the same.)

Weber emblem.JPG

Last edited:
Day two of soaking the charcoal grates in oxalic acid. Removed for brushing periodically. The green water is normal, it's ferric oxalate, for any chemistry nerds out there. Oxalic acid has a Ph of approximately 1.3. It's commonly found in vegetables. Also used to clean stained wood. Mix it with some baking soda before disposing.

Oalic acid.JPG

Just picked up a SS Performer myself in the same color and am working to get it back to newish. I like your custom logo! Let me know when ya make more. I noticed it looks like you have a full sized propane tank under there. How did you hook that up? Debating if I should buck up and buy a new 5lb for $80, or figure out a way to mount a normal size tank under there.

Just picked up a SS Performer myself in the same color and am working to get it back to newish. I like your custom logo! Let me know when ya make more. I noticed it looks like you have a full sized propane tank under there. How did you hook that up? Debating if I should buck up and buy a new 5lb for $80, or figure out a way to mount a normal size tank under there.
I think the green is my favorite color, for now ;). The Performer labels are at the sign shop, apparently they are very busy, but hopefully they are done soon. I had them cut in silver and some in black in case anyone wants one for the later Performers. My propane tank is just the regular issue 5 pounder.

I think the green is my favorite color, for now ;). The Performer labels are at the sign shop, apparently they are very busy, but hopefully they are done soon. I had them cut in silver and some in black in case anyone wants one for the later Performers. My propane tank is just the regular issue 5 pounder.
Sounds good, when they're ready to order let me know! I just had my 5lb re-certified & filled for $8. Going to hook it up tonight and see if it works. Hopefully it's just an ignitor if it fails.

First test sample of the replacement propane tank labels. I think they look spiffy, even if a bit boring. Easy to install too. Hopefully ready soon.

Printing is sharp as a tack, I need to use my better camera to get a crisp shot. All the fonts are proprietary and still pretty much dead on accurate. I designed the new label directly on top of the old.

propane label installed.JPG

Last edited:
Did you ever wonder why a Weber 8" wheel is $20.00? Certainly with the age of the wheel and the volume produced, they can't cost more than 50 cents to make. Well, for one, they come in a heavy duty corrugated box, with two labels. Wrapped in bubble wrap. With an 8 page set of instructions for installing the wheel. An eight page . . . set of instructions . . . for installing a wheel. This virtually indestructible wheel was packaged better than the last lightbulb I bought. I'd be happy if they just tossed one from a bin of 1,000 into a manila mailer and charged me half the price. :ROFLMAO:

The box (or wheel) doesn't say where it's made. Plus, the box doesn't have that chinesium cardboard feel to it. So maybe they are made in the States, that would be cool, and might account for the price . . . somewhat.

I was surprised how glossy the new wheel is compared to the old wheel. That might have been tough to replicate for an "as new" restoration.

8 inch wheel.JPG

Last edited:
Did you ever wonder why a Weber 8" wheel is $20.00? Certainly with the age of the wheel and the volume produced, they can't cost more than 50 cents to make. Well, for one, they come in a heavy duty corrugated box, with two labels. Wrapped in bubble wrap. With an 8 page set of instructions for installing the wheel. An eight page . . . set of instructions . . . for installing a wheel. This virtually indestructible wheel was packaged better than the last lightbulb I bought. I'd be happy if they just tossed one from a bin of 1,000 into a manila mailer and charged me half the price. :ROFLMAO:

The box (or wheel) doesn't say where it's made. Plus, the box doesn't have that chinesium cardboard feel to it. So maybe they are made in the States, that would be cool, and might account for the price . . . somewhat.

I was surprised how glossy the new wheel is compared to the old wheel. That might have been tough to replicate for an "as new" restoration.

View attachment 30794
Don't take this in a bad way but, do you have OCD? When I found this forum I was just cleaning them up, replacing anything that needed it, getting them working well, and selling them. Then I saw what Bruce, Jon, and others where doing and started grinding fireboxes and painting, etc. Now you are upping the game to another level.;-)

Back