Advantages & Methods of Butcher Paper

Gib Gibson

TVWBB Member
I requested and received some of the famous pink butcher paper for Christmas. I'll be smoking a pork shoulder in a couple of weeks and was wondering what are the advantages to wrapping in the pink paper over aluminum foil, if any? Also are there any special methods to use to improve the finished product? With aluminum foil I would tear off a big sheet, set the butt in it and make sure it was covered up as tight as possible and put it back on. Not very scientific, but I had no complaints about the food. Is there anything different with this paper?

Thanks!

paper will breathe, foil retains more moisture

I use the "boat method" for brisket- foil on bottom and paper covering the top then roll up the foil on the sides
pork butt - foil after stall , no paper

paper will protect the bark with very little softening
foil will soften the bark somewhat

You will still want to wrap it tight. Paper gives better bark in my experience.
I buy the 36x36 sheets and find it’s easier than a roll to deal with.

I buy the sheets when I purchase wood through Fruita-

I prefer butcher paper but is there really that much of a vapor barrier difference between foiled and a properly wrapped fat saturated butcher paper to make a difference?
Unless you are using an aluminum tray tub with a juice trough and a super foil seal I’m just not seeing it.
Unless I push through without the crutch there isn’t really a lot of difference in my bark.
Another thing great about butcher paper is that it is great countertop cover when I prep.

I notice a difference more with brisket. The bark is better with paper. With butts I really like to pour the liquid back into the meat when I pull it, and paper can mess with that. But the bark is noticeably better with paper on the butt as well. I use the butcher paper all the time for other prep work, though.

Good stuff, thanks everybody!

My father in law has delegated the pork cooking to me for the past 2 or 3 4th of July parties, and I've had no complaints with foil. I'm doing a small birthday party for my wife in a couple of weeks and think I may try the paper with a small crowd and see if it's any better. Doesn't sound like this is going to be a make or break decision either way. We'll see what happens.

Back