Adding Water?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Denny Kyser

How do you guys add water during the cook without spilling it on the coals. I have not tried it yet but hopeing to find out a secret or two before I have ash all over my butts.

I looked in Walmart for one of those plant waters, thining that would work but this time of year they dont have any

If you can't find a long-nosed watering can, check in the automotive section for a long-spouted funnel with a pretty narrow end. Seems like I've seen them with long flexible necks on them with very large bowls and a handle on the bowl. (If that description makes any sense...)

Okay, a picture is worth a thousand words. Go look at these possibilities.

Funnel 1Funnel 1
Funnel 2Funnel 2
Long-neck pouring lid for various jugs

empty wine bottle, long spout funnel (automotive section, transmission fluid funnel), empty 2 litre pop bottle, watering can and 'hey, try switching to sand' are the usual replies to this question

Denny,

I just use regular plant waterer with about a 12" snout. Holds about 1/2 gallon and works great.

Go to Amazon and watering cans. They have them year round for less than $10. Use the link on this site under the Shopping tab.

Thanks for the ideas, I have a water pan from a 3 piece brinkman smoker that is much larger but not so big will be too close to charcoal.

My last brinkman smoker was built much like the WSM but of coarse no where near the quality. But was a good stepping stone between the basic brinkman, and the WSM

I am a sand guy. Give it a shot and see what works better?!?!
icon_smile.gif

What I would normally do is remove the door and pour water through the bottom grate into the pan with a 2 litle pop bottle. Never once had any issues. Side note the weber pan is 4 litres, the brinkman is quite a bit more from what i have hear.

Chris,

During the summer I had a piece of galvanized pipe threaded so it would attach to my garden hose. Then I filled the pan with the pipe through the fuel access door.

I'm using a guru these days so most of the time I'm not using water anymore.

However, when I do I've been using a 1.5 liter (magnum) wine bottle.

Caution. One time this summer I let my water pan run dry then tried to fill it with water that I'd boiled. (I didn't want the temperature in the pit to drop too far due to adding cold water.)

I'm pretty sure the latent heat in the pan and the very hot water caused the water to "flash" to steam and I had a steam explosion.

I find if I'm carefull I can just pour it through the top grate into the water pan. I use a half gallon beer growler, just becuase I have it, and I don't wanna throw it away. Plus I think it's kinda cool
icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brian L.:
I find if I'm carefull I can just pour it through the top grate into the water pan. I use a half gallon beer growler, just becuase I have it, and I don't wanna throw it away. Plus I think it's kinda cool
icon_cool.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Growlers are cool....dont let anyone tell you otherwise. Great tip!

i went to Home Depot and picked up in the garden section a metal watering can ....it has a long narrow spout and wont melt if it touches the side of the wsm....good luck

I thought about using a gas container because they have a good spout. Then I started thinking what would happen if I grabbed the wrong can, so I got a big green container for watering plants

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hoot Carlson:
I thought about using a gas container because they have a good spout. Then I started thinking what would happen if I grabbed the wrong can, so I got a big green container for watering plants <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>If you use a new gas container, you absolutely must spray paint it blue so there's no confusion with a real gas container.

Regards,
Chris

Being the cheapskate that I am, I take a large, plastic ketchup (or catsup, if you can't find ketchup) bottle and cut a hole where the label is. This creates a horizontal funnel - I put the top in through the charcoal door, and pour water from a kettle (I always preheat it to save time/charcoal) into the hole I cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back