Adding "Fuel"

B.Lasky

TVWBB Super Fan
Trying to get used to how much charcoal to start with in my 14.5. First cooks I used too much. This time I used too little. When adding more do you just toss it in unlit orto you use the chimney first?

I don't have a 14.5" but do have a Mini-Joe Gold and an 18.5". I use the tin can minion method with both, using up to 12 lit briquettes in either. I fill the ring when doing anything but chicken (chicken is done in my cooker at high heat (325-350) and of a rather short duration. I just dump a full lit chimney in for chicken. Anything else, I use the minion start. When the cook is over, after removing the meat, I shut the vents. The coals will die out to be used on another cook.

I save my partially burned coals for use in my Weber grills. I use Kingsford Original fresh when doing smokes (the time will vary depending on the individual cut of meat). Since you never quite know the time frame, having more coals than needed is the way to go. Since they get reused, there is really no waste to speak of.

FWIW,
Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Last edited:
I use the chimney first when adding, but now that I finally have the minion method working well for me I don't usually need to add...

On my 22.5 I use a sharp shooter shovel.

null_zpsbdb026a0.png

I have tried using the door as a chute once or twice when I needed more hot charcoal and a good share of it ended up between the ring and the outer wall of the smoker so I probably won't be doing that very often if I can help it.

A shovel is a good idea.

I've done both but most often I light a chimney and add that. I used some metal tongs once for placing the lit coals in the smoker and dang those tongs got hot. Took a few days for that burn to heal. I've since picked up a fireplace shovel for $1 at a garage sale and that works much better. I'd like to get as long of a smoke as others say they get and not have to add anything but so far I'm usually adding coals after about 7-8 hours in my 22.

Happy Smokin'

I have the 22.5 model, and often thought of what I could use to add more coal to an already existing cook.

I have a sharpshooter....That's a great idea. It would allow one to place coal exactly where it's needed .... thanks....

I would strive to not have to load additional charcoal. Load up the ring and if you have "too much", shut down the cooker and use what's left in the next cook. Keep the wsm out of the wind, don't use water and you'll have a good long cook out of a full ring of charcoal.

I'm thinking this crawfish ladle will work to add fuel as well as sifting the ash from some of the partially burnt coals that have fallen through the grate.

null_zps748417a7.jpg

I just toss a few at a time through the door. If I need to add a bunch I lite them in chimney and use my old metal coal shovel after I dump them in a ash bucket I keep by the grills. I have only had to do it once on a long overnight cook

To add coals during the cook I pour in lit coals from the chimney starter and use the door like a chute. I have a long set of tongs that I use to even the coal bed out and pull out any coals that dropped between the ring and the cooker's wall.

Back