Accessories

EricDevlin

TVWBB Member
Hi,

What's your favorite accessory(ies?) for the kettle or WSM?

It may sound stupid, but I really like the Weber fish spatula. It's super wide, well made and I use it with most everyone grilled and a lot of stuff smoked.

Also in my top five, welding gloves, pizza kettle, thermapen and charcoal chimney.

This isn't an idle question. I'm helping some people that are new to grilling who've just purchased 22" kettles.

Thanks!

Eric

18" tongs from restaurant supply shop; maybe $3. Strong enough to lift my dutchoevn lid. Long enough to keep my fingers away from the heat.

interesting about the tongs Paul... i have purchased a couple of "nice" ones especially for grilling. but they both just dont "feel" right in my hand.

one set is really, much longer wooden handle, and the spatula style ends, but they seem too big for me after i tried to use them.

the other ones also longer wooden handle, are not as wide, but still just feel off.

my cheaper, older, non-barbecue metal tongs.... perfect.

but back to the question at hand....

if you apply sauce during bbq, a long-handled brush. i got mine at Target for $4 with the silicone brush. really good buy.

a long-handled spatula... regular ones just dont cut it.

of course there are a ton of things we all like and prefer, but.... mainly, mainly, mainly... the best thing i have bought since seriously getting into my grills has been my chimney. hands down.

>>> the best thing i have bought since seriously getting into my grills has been my chimney. hands down.<<<

Not just ANY chimney but a WEBER chimney!!

Dale53

Yeah, fish spatulas are great not only for fish, but a big help in removing pork butts off the grate, too.

I'd be at a loss without my Thermapen, and my latest accessory is a heat-resistant glove called a "Pitt Mitt". I picked it up at the Bass Pro Shop recently, and I have no idea why they call it that since it's actually a washable glove that allows a LOT better dexterity than my leather grill gloves or my bbq guru rubber-coated gloves. The Pitt Mitt is practically a necessity once you've used them to turn kabobs.

Of course, I didn't notice whether anyone already mentioned the Weber charcoal baskets. I take them apart and use together as a "fence" to corral my charcoal to one side if not using for a three-zone fire.

+1 on the Pitt Mitt. Kroger's also carries them sometimes. I got one of mine at Kroger's (only had one at the time) and ordered the other one from Amazon. I can actually handled my probe wires with them, something I couldn't do with my other bbq glove.

I too would have to say my "Red" thermopen. Best thing since the thermometer was invented
icon_smile.gif

I like threads like this. I alway find out about something I didn't know about. Now I am off to google The Pitt Mitt.

2 weber chimney's and I dont know if it is an accesory but I love my cast iron grates to do the jet engine style of grilling steaks. would have to agree on the tongs thing for a must have as well as some thick leather gloves.
Another is my digiQ, it has made smoking so much easier. with all the talk about the thermapen I now know what I will be asking Santa for this year.

Chimney, Cheap leather welding gloves to grab the chimney or lid on hot cooks. I also like my insulated silicone gloves to grab meat off the smoker.

My wife sells pampered chef stuff - and I have all of the grill supplies. I really like the tongs and the grill basket.

I really like my electronic gadgets. I have an IQue 110 - I really like it, and it has been flawless on overnight cooks. Being a tech junkie - I can't quit looking at the stoker though.

Originally posted by Jeff R:
I too would have to say my "Red" thermopen. Best thing since the thermometer was invented
icon_smile.gif
I forgot to add that this is next on my list. Birthday's and Father's day have passed. I guess I'll have to wait until christmas.

Originally posted by Jeff R:
I like threads like this. I alway find out about something I didn't know about. Now I am off to google The Pitt Mitt.

Not cheap, though. $20 for just one at Bass Pro Shop. Only really need one, though.

IMO, extra long tongs, two of them, are a must and are my favorite. I use one for handling raw food and use clean tongs for pulling off the grill. Dishwasher cleans them up

Shop rags. You can get a pack of 24 for about $10 ( I think) at Lowes. To me they are invaluable. I always have one draped over my shoulder when cooking. Saves a ton of money in the long run over paper towels. I keep a laundry bag next to my grilling stuff for the dirty ones. When it's full, in to the washer with some bleach.

047034600240lg.jpg

I was going to say Fire wire, but in all honsety I would have to say this board as this is where I get so much information, and grilling ideas.As someone says 'Learn form the Masters"

Besides all the others already posted, a 1/4" open end wrench is my favorite for cleaning all the crusty s off the grates for all my Weby's.(Standard grates, Charcoal) Takes a minute to do a grate while using a wad of paper towel to wipe it on. You can do the top,side and bottom with a few passes by changing the angle.

Tim

Originally posted by timothy:
Besides all the others already posted, a 1/4" open end wrench is my favorite for cleaning all the crusty s off the grates for all my Weby's.(Standard grates, Charcoal) Takes a minute to do a grate while using a wad of paper towel to wipe it on. You can do the top,side and bottom with a few passes by changing the angle.

Tim

I'm going to have to try that one. Good idea.

Back