A Tale of Two 2-Burners

Jon Tofte

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
A while back I picked up the first half of my long-standing idea to create a custom Skyline 2-burner grill. It was the easier part, a pretty decent late Silver A with black knobs and trim. The cabinetry isn’t perfect, but it isn’t a rust bucket like many others I have seen.
IMG_5880.jpeg
IMG_5890.jpeg
Then I was on the lookout for a Skyline 2-burner. I found a nice one, but it was almost three hours away. Finally, I caved in and did a Saturday road trip to get it. It was in nice shape, very clean although the wire brushing in the firebox and on the old porcelain plated flavorizer bars was a little crude.
IMG_5879.jpeg
Things have been filling up my life with two remote jobs, tax returns (October 15 deadline) and trying to get many things fixed in the house we bought. In between I have been working on getting my workshop setup and usable. All that has left no real time to DO anything. Hopefully that will change soon.

In the meantime, I wanted to post this thread to show the interesting differences between the older 2-burner and the very last Silver A.
IMG_5878.jpeg

The most notable improvement to me is the increased height from about 29 1/2” to about 33”. That may not sound like a lot, but the convenience for someone like me (6’ - 1”) or taller is a welcome change.
IMG_5881.jpeg

IMG_5882.jpeg

Then, the later Silver A like this one offers a fold-down table much like its bigger brother Silver B. This is a step up in “luxury” features that the early 2-burner grills declined in favor of a stripped down basic design.
IMG_5886.jpeg

My plan is to install the Skyline hood on this late Silver A body along with some other minor custom features, hopefully including an original Weber handle light which should be adaptable to this size hood. Maybe go for GrillGrates as I have no decent grates of this size and I think GrillGrates would be a good fit for a grill with only one row of flavorizer bars and only two well separated burners. I hope to make this my light-duty daily driver for our small family. Should cook well and be a little more frugal with gas than a full-size 3-burner Genesis (or 4 burner 1st gen. Summit:cool:) I hope to ultimately have for heavier duty grilling.

One last comment. I bought a set of Qulimetal stainless flavorizer bars for this grill. They are the real deal with heavy gauge non-magnetic stainless and finished well. Outside of rcplanebuyer, I don’t think you could find a better choice for flavorizer bars for this grill or the larger Silver B/C for which Qulimetal also makes flavorizers of the same quality.

IMG_5891.jpeg

IMG_5899.jpeg

Last edited:
Alright Jon. It looks like you are set. I can't wait to see the end result. Black knobs and handles too.
I agree, those quilimetal bars look legit. I will keep them in mind for my next Silver A restore.

How does the Skyline lid look? Any Weber Fade?

A while back I picked up the first half of my long-standing idea to create a custom Skyline 2-burner grill. It was the easier part, a pretty decent late Silver A with black knobs and trim. The cabinetry isn’t perfect, but it isn’t a rust bucket like many others I have seen.
View attachment 17527
View attachment 17530
Then I was on the lookout for a Skyline 2-burner. I found a nice one, but it was almost three hours away. Finally, I caved in and did a Saturday road trip to get it. It was in nice shape, very clean although the wire brushing in the firebox and on the old porcelain plated flavorizer bars was a little crude.
View attachment 17533
Things have been filling up my life with two remote jobs, tax returns (October 15 deadline) and trying to get many things fixed in the house we bought. In between I have been working on getting my workshop setup and usable. All that has left no real time to DO anything. Hopefully that will change soon.

In the meantime, I wanted to post this thread to show the interesting differences between the older 2-burner and the very last Silver A.
View attachment 17535

The most notable improvement to me is the increased height from about 29 1/2” to about 33”. That may not sound like a lot, but the convenience for someone like me (6’ - 1”) or taller is a welcome change.
View attachment 17538

View attachment 17541

Then, the later Silver A like this one offers a fold-down table much like its bigger brother Silver B. This is a step up in “luxury” features that the early 2-burner grills declined in favor of a stripped down basic design.
View attachment 17536

My plan is to install the Skyline hood on this late Silver A body along with some other minor custom features, hopefully including an original Weber handle light which should be adaptable to this size hood. Maybe go for GrillGrates as I have no decent grates of this size and I think GrillGrates would be a good fit for a grill with only one row of flavorizer bars and only two well separated burners. I hope to make this my light-duty daily driver for our small family. Should cook well and be a little more frugal with gas than a full-size 3-burner Genesis (or 4 burner 1st gen. Summit:cool:) I hope to ultimately have for heavier duty grilling.

One last comment. I bought a set of Qulimetal stainless flavorizer bars for this grill. They are the real deal with heavy gauge non-magnetic stainless and finished well. Outside of rcplanebuyer, I don’t think you could find a better choice for flavorizer bars for this grill or the larger Silver B/C for which Qulimetal also makes flavorizers of the same quality.

View attachment 17545

View attachment 17546

GrillGrates are having a 15% off sale. CODE: FESTIVE15

You are guilt of pushing me over the edge on that, Ed! I have looked a few times, but decided to wait for a sale. I guess I am all in now! It will really make this grill in my opinion. For a 13-bar 3 burner I would rather go with cast iron or really good stainless rods, but for this single row set up I think GrillGrates will work extremely well. Less worry about any unevenness with those two widely spaced burners, too.

Silver A.jpeg

Jon, those quilimetal bars are soooo much better than the ones I bought a couple weeks ago.....not really all that much more expensive either.

I'm glad the discount caught you at a good time! Please be sure to report on how well the GGs work on a 2-burner.

Those burners are so far apart they each have their own zip code!

The thing is that the holes for the flames are on the insides of the burners, so it really isn't a big deal really. I am sure Weber did a lot of testing to get the spacing at an optimal distance. I have not heard that they have a large cool spot down the middle.

Jon - thanks for sharing this information and your story. I picked up a Silver recently that is similar to the short one, but not the skyline model. The label on mine is worn off. Is it also a Silver A? Mine does not have the small wheels on the left side. Does that make it a Silver A instead of a B or C? I am thinking the long distance between the two burners sounds like indirect cookin to me😀. I was just looking at those flavorizer bars last night. Need to buy them now.
My black grill has some fading on it. Did I read a thread where car wax will help that?

Having owned a 2 burner I can say they cook VERY well and VERY evenly without gimmick grates. In all honestly they're amazing little cookers and very versatile. Even down to accepting the rotisserie from they're big brother Genesis grills

Jon, I am so sorry I looked at this thread. I had my weberitis in remission, even to the extent of down sizing my Weber fleet from 10 to 4.
Now you pop this silver A / skyline conversion onto the scene. My weberitis is in full bloom again. I still have the chocolate Gen 2 to restore, but I'm also all over your idea about the silver A skyline.
Let the hunt begin!
If Barb finds out what I'm doing my A** will be grass and she'll be the lawn mower.

We will try to cover for you, Rich! My workshop in progress has the potential to be a "dog house" if its needed 😁 .

Yes, I try to get my Weberitis under control when I survey my huge collection of parts and unfinished projects. Then something really nice pops up and...well you know how it is! I have really tried to stop for the time being (a promise I pretty much made to my wife, too) until I can get my shop done and turn out several finished products. Besides collecting, I am very curious to see how classic Genesis grills properly restored will sell in my new locale.

Having owned a 2 burner I can say they cook VERY well and VERY evenly without gimmick grates. In all honestly they're amazing little cookers and very versatile. Even down to accepting the rotisserie from they're big brother Genesis grills
I didn't know it would take a rotisserie! That's pretty interesting.

It sure does and it works VERY well. Except it will not take a larger cut of meat or a large bird simply because of the physical size (lack of) of the grill. But I actually did use mine with my Genesis rotisserie and it worked/cooked awsome

Jon - thanks for sharing this information and your story. I picked up a Silver recently that is similar to the short one, but not the skyline model. The label on mine is worn off. Is it also a Silver A? Mine does not have the small wheels on the left side. Does that make it a Silver A instead of a B or C? I am thinking the long distance between the two burners sounds like indirect cookin to me😀. I was just looking at those flavorizer bars last night. Need to buy them now.
My black grill has some fading on it. Did I read a thread where car wax will help that?
Kelly, the skyline on the right in Jon's photo is not a Silver A. It is a Genesis 500 or 520 or something along those lines. But Weber did make a later Silver A very similar and that is probably what you have. Here are two Silver A grills and I am guessing you have one most like the one on the left in the photo below.

Silver A (2).jpg

It sure does and it works VERY well. Except it will not take a larger cut of meat or a large bird simply because of the physical size (lack of) of the grill. But I actually did use mine with my Genesis rotisserie and it worked/cooked awsome
Yah, I did not know the #9891 roto would fit a Silver A. Good to know. But as larry said, it probably isn't going to work for the Thanksgiving Turkey.

Bruce - yes the one on the left in your picture is like mine. It has the rotisserie bracket too so I can see if my rotisserie would fit. Any suggestions on how to address the paint fade shown in second picture?

Attachments

• A213FE97-8A4D-44D3-90BC-59454593BEE5.jpeg
    A213FE97-8A4D-44D3-90BC-59454593BEE5.jpeg
    111.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 50573A5E-CF23-4D9B-9B1B-9DFD0E823C67.jpeg
    50573A5E-CF23-4D9B-9B1B-9DFD0E823C67.jpeg
    159.1 KB · Views: 15
Kelly, that is a classic case of the Weber Fade. NOTHING you can do about it. You cannot remove it....Many have tried, all have failed. IMO, you have two choices. First: Find a donor grill and swap lids. Just be cautioned that it will be tough to find another black one without the fade. Second: Just don't stress over it. It doesn't affect the performance of the grill in any way and won't affect the life of the grill. Call it character and enjoy using the grill.

Bruce,
Interesting that your Silver A has the higher height vs. the older Skyline 2-burner which was the lower height that other 2-burners of that time were.

Also, someone asked about casters. The Skyline 2-burner - and it looks like even your somewhat later Silver A on the left - both lacked casters. A cost saving move, I am sure. But when they did the very last Silver A (like mine and yours on the right), they tried to class up the "little Genny" and gave it casters, a closed in cabinet option and a fold-down side table.

Kelly, the skyline on the right in Jon's photo is not a Silver A. It is a Genesis 500 or 520 or something along those lines. But Weber did make a later Silver A very similar and that is probably what you have. Here are two Silver A grills and I am guessing you have one most like the one on the left in the photo below.

View attachment 17567
Bruce,
Does your later Silver A on the right have a porcelain main drip tray or is it also aluminum like the older grill you got on the left? I took my tray off before I took my pictures and can't seem to find it. I thought I remembered being surprised that my newer Silver A had a porcelain drip tray, but I could be totally mistaken.

Jon, I am going to say it has a porcelain one. ....No it DID have a porcelain one. It was the one that was filled with charcoal when I picked it up. It was sitting in the bottom of the cook box because the slide rails were rotted off.

Back