A Tale of Two 2-Burners

My first choice is generally Lowes. In my area of Florida, Home Depot was really the only other full-size choice. (I do like Ace when they have the right thing, even if priced a little high.)

My life changing move to the Midwest has opened a new array of options. No Home Depots closer than almost an hour away. But we have two Menards just a half hour away, Lowes too, AND Rural King which carries a lot more tools and home improvement supplies than I had originally thought. I bought my LED shop light fixtures there are a great price - beat out Harbor Freight which fortunately is also about a half hour away from me.

Living in a small town I buy a lot more at Ace and really enjoy the small town comradery. After you start buying more from them, Ace throw more coupons your way. Of course, most of them have pictures of Weber, Yeti, Dewalt and a host of other nice stuff you can't use the coupons on :rolleyes: !!!

Registering my Silver B with Weber confirmed the color is Mica Blue...the color missing from the above chart...mystery solved.

Same color. I like the wooden handle and side table on yours. Mine has the gray solid table on the left and gray solid swing up tables on both sides.

Yah, my grill is actually a 1993 Genesis 1000. It came with a red lid, but I changed it over to a blue lid from a Silver B but kept the Genesis 1000 end caps and handle.

I think I am going to pass on painting the kettle blue but may paint it red like I (and others) have on other grills. I can’t deviate from the iconic red kettle. I think the red splash on the kettle with the blue hood would really pop. Has anyone already done that?

WINTER GRILL

Well, I have struggled with a lot of work and home issues since my big move. Believe it or not, in spite of a shed full of grill parts and project grills, for gas grilling I have been consigned to using only a nice, but small, Q100 and with no cart! I set it up on an upside down Silver B firebox. It looked pitiful - especially for someone who loves grills - and bending down to cook with no side table was really getting old. Fall got colder and winter is here and now tax season again:rolleyes:. So, on Friday night and Saturday morning, I decided it was my last chance to do SOMETHING!

I did just a rough clean up of the Genesis Silver A mentioned at the beginning of this post. Replaced burners with new ones that work GREAT, and I replaced the inside portion and wiring of the igniter that was missing, using a lightly used one I had in my parts bin.

IMG_6245.jpeg

Installed new Qlimetal 16 ga., 304 stainless flavorizer bars. Really hard to argue with these as far as price and quality go.

IMG_6246.jpeg;)

I then swapped out the hood from the 2-burner Skyline grill also mentioned at the beginning of this thread. (Our threads sometimes really meander in different directions!;)) That was easy. I didn't do any real rehabbing and only some mild cleaning that could be done without a hose or working outside. The results, though, were what I was looking for. A Skyline hood on a taller, more substantial Silver A body with the benefit of thermoset tables, including one that folds down just like the larger Silver B.

IMG_6247.jpeg

I had to add something personal, so just like I did on my extended cart Skyline project, I found a perfect Chicago White Sox/Skyline tie-in:

IMG_6253.jpeg

MAIDEN VOYAGE: GRILLGRATES AGAIN!

I decided to do steak for my first use of this hybrid grill. In the past few months, I accumulated both a set of GrillGrates and a really nice set of matte cast iron grates (cheap!) for use on this grill. With the snow, ice, then melting stuff we have been having, I didn't think this was the best time to try out, season, or preserve cast iron. So, GrillGrates got the call.

I made sure in ordering them that I left adequate space on either side for the grill to breathe better. I could have stuffed in one more "narrow" GrillGrate piece, but I think this was a better way to go.

IMG_6252.jpeg

I picked up some NY - make that Kansas City - strip steaks for my first grilling. I also decided to try an experiment by lightly searing both sides using half the GrillGrates turned upside down. (This is a very popular way of making "smash" burgers.) It worked fairly well, but next time I will go just a little longer on each side. I did not want to blacken the outside of the steaks, just help with a little more brown.

IMG_6258.jpeg

I have this grill set up close to our "Florida room" which half is also used as my office. My wife helped me set up a "grill station" - an old microwave cart filled with grilling supplies right by the sliding door. It is now a short hop from that to this grill, and in lousy weather like we are having I can keep an eye on my grill from inside.

IMG_6259.jpeg

Overall, the steaks were really good and didn't look too bad. Like I said, next time I will sear them a little longer. The plain looking steak was for my wife who likes little in the way of seasoning and doesn't like charcoal grilled food either:unsure:.

IMG_6261.jpeg

Yum. I think you got a real good grill going on there. And I am totally down with the minimal rehabbing. If I was really concerned about grill marks, I would certainly get a set of the grill grates. They are tough to beat in that department. I also think having a little breathing room on each side is a plus as well.

Did you see the thread on the Weber grill parts on super cheap clearance at Home Depot? Not sure how the closest one is to you, but if you want burners for Silver B's, you can't beat genuine Webers for under $15. I am not sure if you are into the GBS grates for gas grills, but they were crazy low as well. Under $25 a set for SS solid rod GBS grates.
I got a set of the grates and 4 sets of burners for silver B's. The normal price would have been over $300 and I got it all for under $75. I also got a 10% veterans discount as well.

Nearest Home Depot is an hour away, and I am off to Florida Tuesday. Up to my eye balls in work up until then. Doesn't look like I can catch that deal or I would. There are supposed to be some at our stores here, at least at last look. If I wasn't flying I would try while in Florida and bring some back.

Yes, I am pretty impressed how fast this 2-burner got up to temp and how easy it is to grill on. I really do want to try out my cast iron grates and see which really does better. That has to wait for better weather outside. Could be a long wait🥶. I do think I may be on to something with my half and half method that will ultimately produce both an overall crust and some defining grill marks as well. I will keep working on it.

Hey Jon.....real nice work on that hybrid resto! Your Silver is a " Premium " model just like my keeper Silver B....The Premiums came with the black knobs...end caps....and pinstripe.

Attachments

• 20200805_184041.jpg
    20200805_184041.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 7
Yeah, I really like those last Silvers with those upgrades. I used to have a Silver B like that as my daily driver. I got it at Ace on clearance since the new 300 series had just come out. I wanted one for this Skyline hybrid and was fortunate enough to get a half way decent one for a good price. I also like that it stands a few inches taller than the earlier Silver A grills and even the later ones without the cabinet.

Nice job Kelly. It still has the right side condiment basket too. What does the lid fade look like?

Back