A small brisket, sliced and chopped

Derrick H

TVWBB Fan
This is a small brisket I did last week, it was labeled "center cut" but looked like mostly a flat. Turned out very well. I actually had a flat on the lower level of the smoker as well, but not in the pictures.

Meat on the smoker
14017428952_0fb8d581d2_c.jpg

Smoking away early on
14020631455_3d57294003_c.jpg

Chopped and Sliced
14017429132_2143b261ff_c.jpg

I had no idea what a center cut was, but it turned out really good. One thing that I am learning is patience. In the past I have been guilty of pulling the meat too early and it not being tender enough. Trying to get over my phobia of overcooking.

That looks great! I'm going to be doing a small flat on my mini next week hope it comes out as nice as yours.

It looks great! Bark is there, moist too! Any cooking details???? Cooking T, final IT, foil/ not foil?

I'll list a few steps. I should have put this in the initial post.

I got the flats out of the package, washed them off and applied a bit of olive oil to the entire meat. I then applied some store-bought rub. I used Saltgrass Steak Rub with a little bit of my own Cayenne pepper. Let it sit out in my kitchen while I got the WSM ready. I used the last of my Stubb's and some Mesquite wood chunks. Once the WSM got up to temp (about 240) I placed the flats, one on the bottom level, one on the top. I basically left it alone outside of adjusting vents, and spraying with some apple juice every 2 hours. The total duration ended up being about 4.5 hours. The WSM temp got up to about 280 at times. The internal temp was 199, it actually stalled there for about 40 minutes, I used the probe toothpick test to determine tenderness. I planned on cooking until possibly 205, but it was tender enough at 199. I didn't foil the meat until I pulled it off the WSM, I let it rest for about 35 minutes before slicing/chopping. During the cook there was another stall at 140.

It was an easy cook, turned out really good. Of course those magical stalls are frustrating, but part of the process.

Back