A rainy, and welcome, Thanksgiving Dinner.

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
Guess it's not too late for another post. We had an insanely busy Thanksgiving weekend. I did a 21 pound turkey on Thursday along with a green bean casserole and a pumpkin pie. My wife made her mashed potatoes and all the snack material during the afternoon. I traditionally do most of the cooking on Thanksgiving and she takes care of Christmas. I had to do a lot of last minute scrambling and improvising when we woke up to very gusty winds and our first really significant rainfall of the year. I moved a few things into the kitchen that I typically do on the smoker or grill. On Saturday, I duplicated the cook when more family came down from Oregon. I was able to resume my usual routine on the grill but no photos of the second cook. We had a wonderful time but it will feel good to unwind for a couple of days.

Put the stuffing together that I use every year. It's a pecan stuffing I got out of a very old Weber book.

enhance

Wide Load! Fully stuffed.

enhance

Replaced charcoal every hour. This was hour one.

enhance

Hour two.

enhance

Things got a little hectic at this point forward. I had to move part of the green bean casserole indoors as I didn't want to boil oil on my back deck.

enhance

enhance

Used a combination of Oyster, Shiitake and Baby Bellas in the casserole. Sauteed after some bacon and later some minced garlic, some Worcestershire and half and half. No pic's of this as this too was done in the house.

enhance

Finishing up with the bird.

enhance

enhance

I did finish up the GBC for 30 minutes on the grill. Pulled and let them rest while I carved the turkey.

enhance

All looks really guud Cliff. Bird has some great color to it. Plated pic looks great. Spot On Cook!!!
Glad that you finally got some much needed rain out that way. We got a couple inches of snow Thursday night.

Yumm! Looks like some gravy was trying to escape! I'm sure you caught it with a tasty roll!

WOW!!!! Cliff that is one fantastic dinner. It all looks so yummy and your GBC I like. Would you please post the recipe when you have time. Thanks

Agree with Barb ( I'm no dummy) that is an excellent cook and that plated picture is a magazine cover shot for sure. So glad to here you guys are getting some rain, that has to be a major relief.

Looks like you went all-out for that Thanksgiving dinner. Great cook! The bird looks super and the sleeper is the green bean casserole. Beautiful plate.
Oh... and those mashed potatoes and gravy!

Happy Thanksgiving Cliff. Dinner looks wonderful. Heard about the fires half a world away, was glad to know it didn't affect you, but sadly I know folks in Paradise who lost their homes. All these fires have talked me out of retiring in kalifornia, I'll soon be Florida bound (hopefully soon) LOL

WOW!!!! Cliff that is one fantastic dinner. It all looks so yummy and your GBC I like. Would you please post the recipe when you have time. Thanks

Here you go Barb. I posted it a few years back but it's buried in the archives. I'll save you the trouble.

12-01-2015, 03:17 PM#12
Cliff Bartlett

TVWBB Olympian

Green Bean Casserole

Ingredients

1 lb. green beans
1 Cup flour
1 Cup Panko Bread Crumbs
1 tbsp Paprika
Salt and Pepper
3 Sweet Onions
4 Slices of bacon (more or less if you like)
About a pound of mushrooms (Use whatever you like. A mixture works well if you’ve got them)
4 big cloves of garlic, chopped.
Worcestershire Sauce (I used about two tsp)
1 Cup Chicken Broth
1 Cup Half & Half

Slice the onions very thin. Place in CI Skilled and fry in oil. Comes out better if you do in batches.
Let onions drain on paper towels. Wipe skillet clean. Saute mushrooms and bacon in the CI Skillet until bacon is cooked and mushrooms are soft. I give the bacon a little head start. Add the garlic and Worcestershire Sauce. Salt and pepper to taste. Sift in two tbsp. or flour and mix well. Add chicken broth and let bubble. Reduce heat to low. Add Half and Half and cook until it thickens. Not too thick! Add green beans and fold into mushroom sauce. Add about half the fried onions and fold them in as well. Cover skillet with foil and cook on grill indirect, around 375- 400 for about 20 minutes. Remove foil and top casserole with remaining onions. Grill for another 10 minutes.

Happy Thanksgiving Cliff. Dinner looks wonderful. Heard about the fires half a world away, was glad to know it didn't affect you, but sadly I know folks in Paradise who lost their homes. All these fires have talked me out of retiring in kalifornia, I'll soon be Florida bound (hopefully soon) LOL

Thanks Chuck. It's good hearing from you. Good luck with your retirement plans. Florida is lovely but I'm not sure I'd like to deal with the hurricanes. Hope you can get some home time now and get a chance to rest up.

Back