A Peruvian Kind of Dinner

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
Weeks ago, I saw Robert's Peruvian Chicken post and knew I'd have to give it a try. We had some pretty extreme heat Saturday and Sunday topping out at 108. Took a break from my work and did my first cook since Smoke Day. Pulled the chicken I'd bought a few weeks ago out of the freezer and went to work. Sided it up with a Peruvian Quinoa and Vegetable Salad.

I've been buying these smaller whole chickens. I've so tired of shelves full of 5 and 6 pound birds from Foster Farms an others big market suppliers. These smaller ones are wonderful. They cost a little more, but in my opinion they are worth it.

enhance

I'm going to start with the side as Robert has already introduced the Peruvian Chicken and I didn't stray too far from the recipe and tips he provided. These are some of the ingredients for my side dish.

enhance

After cooking the Quinoa I got the veggies going on the grill. Grilled the onions and garlic first and then added the three types of bell pepper, Zucchini.

enhance

Added the yellow corn, ground coriander, cumin and red pepper flakes.

enhance

Mixed with the Quinoa and dressing and let cool.

enhance

Here's the Green Sauce for the chicken and the wet rub. At Robert's suggestion, I left the seeds on one of the jalapenos.

enhance

Applied the rub all over the bird and also under the skin on the breast and thighs. Trussed the chicken.

enhance

Got it spinning.

enhance

At about an hour.

enhance

Just about done.

enhance

enhance

Plated.

enhance

Flavorwise, this is the most delicious chicken I've ever done. I pulled the bird at 170 and let rest about 5 minutes. It was moist and the flavor was superb. The amarillo and huacatay paste is amazing. Not super hot, but tons of flavor. The green sauce is delicious, just right with the seeds included from one of the jalapenos. Actually, I think I could go with seeds from both, but I like spicy. I put a tiny bit on the chicken slices but wanted to taste the chicken alone without it at first to judge how I liked it. It makes a wonderful dipping sauce too. The Peruvian salad was a hit. I know a lot of folks don't care for Quinoa but we enjoy it here. I served it at room temperature and it complimented the chicken perfectly. Thank you Robert for your post. Have a nice week everyone and thanks for looking.

I'm so glad you tried the Peruvian chicken with green sauce and liked it. Looks like it came out perfect. And that salad is stellar. Super good documentation and pix.

I see that you made it EZ on yourself and kept the cook to only 2 grills. :cool:

Care to share the salad recipe? Finished with weed abatement?

Back