A little disapointed in Weber

Mickey M

Closed Account
A little disappointed in Weber

(smoked) Food for thought.

I can't say with certainty why Weber uses the unrefined (no damper) charcoal bowls from Smokey Joe Silvers for water bowls in the WSMs. But I'd wager it's a cost saving measure.

And if it is, they are saving money at the expense of their customers and they ought to be ashamed.

My WSM has the 2.5 gal. water pan/SJS charcoal bowl. I was smoking a brisket yesterday and used a lot of coals initially, so many that the bottom of the water pan was sitting very close, way too close in my opinion, to the coals.

I'm a rookie WSM user, by the way. Can you tell?:)

After I had everything going, I think, "Maybe I skimped on the wood. One more piece."

I grabbed a piece of apple wood and opened the door and saw how little clearance there was between the bottom of the bowl and the coals.

I thought about trying to toss the wood in, but it seemed kind of a haphazard approach. No telling where it would land. If it landed in a less than optimal spot would it burn well? Might it even end up outside the charcoal ring somehow?

So then I think I should go in the house and get some tongs to place the wood in the bowl. Nah, I'm not walking back inside.

Then I think, if I remove the door completely, and I'm careful, I can just reach in there and put the wood in the center off the charcoal bowl where it'll burn and smoke well.

So in order to save myself a few steps, I end up with two burns on my hand. Not bad burns, not at all, just some redness.

There is one slight burn between my thumb and forefinger where my hand brushed up against the bottom of the water pan.

Due to the autonomic reaction of getting the first burn, I got the second burn along the side of my hand by my little finger after dropping my hand onto the coals as a reaction to bumping the water pan.

I didn't know I could move that fast anymore. I was running the hose on my hand in a matter of seconds. So the damage was minimal. But it hurt like hell at the time.

Dumb? Lazy? Idiotic rookie mistake? Yes, to all of the above. Some of you guys are probably smiling and thinking. "Well, the rookie's paying his dues."

All I can say is I'd rather pay my dues by burning meat, not my hand.

New, this smoker was a $300 item. You would think Weber would provide a water pan that allows for adding coals or wood in an easier manner. But no, they decided to go on the cheap.

All's well that ends well. The brisket came out fine. And I have a couple of red marks on my hand. The pain is minimal.

But I do wish Weber cared a little more about the ease of use of these smokers with these oversized water pans.

And yes, I wish they cared a little more about customer safety for idiots like me who might be too lazy to walk into the house and grab a pair of tongs to add something to the charcoal bowl.

Last edited:
No sympathy from me, sorry, operator error.
Wish my darn knives weren't so sharp, I'm tired of cutting myself. ;)

You have a point, at least on your knives. :)

I already said I should have grabbed some tongs. The "mea culpa" is there for all to see.

But the fact of the matter, regardless of my unfortunate experience, is the bottom of the water bowl should not be sitting almost directly on top of the coals.

Come to think of it, it can't be good for the bowl in the long run either.

Gloves and tongs. They work great.

I get that part, Dwain. And I realize I could have avoided the problem.

But should I have to end up looking like a nuclear power plant worker reaching into a reactor with a gloved hand and a robotic arm just to add a chunk of wood to a smoker?

Weber dropped the ball on this one and they knew it. They're not stupid.

Their attitude seems to be, "Sure, this water bowl is way too big. It should have a flat bottom and it will present problems for people doing long cooks and using a lot of coals.

But our customers are very loyal and will put up with this crap. Suckers."

Last edited:
Mickey,

The larger water pan in the WSMs was pretty much done at the behest of WSM owners who thought the original water pan was too small.

Guess what it was?

It was an "unrefined" Smokey Joe lid.

My advice to you would be to find a Brinkman charcoal pan online and use it for your water pan. It's in between the two Weber water pans sizes.

Mickey,

The larger water pan in the WSMs was pretty much done at the behest of WSM owners who thought the original water pan was too small.

Guess what it was?

It was an "unrefined" Smokey Joe lid.

My advice to you would be to find a Brinkman charcoal pan online and use it for your water pan. It's in between the two Weber water pans sizes.

Clark,

Everything you say is true.

What is also true is it would have been a simple matter for Weber to design and stamp out larger capacity water pans with flat bottoms..

But no. To save money, they opted to use SJS charcoal bowls at the sacrifice of convenience and possibly the safety of their customers.

I wonder how many people have ruined what would have been a great cook, or worse, hurt themselves by trying to add coals or wood or by doing a "hot squat" to try to accomplish the same?

Last edited:
I've added coals and wood to my 18.5 and not once have I been burned. I treat fire like it's hot, and anything above the fire would be hot as well. Welding gloves and long tongs are tools of the trade, and like a good fire extinguisher should be kept close at hand.

PS. The sharper my knives the less likely I am to cut myself.

I learned early on to use welding gloves when messing with anything inside the chamber during a cook.

I find it interesting that not one other person has questioned Weber's use of a charcoal bowl from one of its charcoal grills as a repurposed water pan for WSMs.

This "water pan" sits almost directly on top of the coals. Your gut alone should tell you this isn't right.

Stop and THINK about it for a second. The idea and it's implmentation are flawed.

I mean customer loyalty is fine but ... .

Last edited:
The design on the smokers work great for me.
Keep cooking on them don't let the little things bother you.
Once you get to know your cooker you will know excatly how to set your vents and get a set temp every time.

I know you are looking for support but the design (or lack of design) on the water pan is not what caused you to get your hand burned.
Per your own description of the scenario you knew the cooker was hot, you knew the space was limited, you chose to put your hand in it anyway.
I am not defending Weber's design, nor am I criticizing it...it is what it is, don't put your hands in the fire chamber.

I find it interesting that not one other person has questioned Weber's use of a repurposed charcoal bowl from one of its charcoal grills as a water pan for WSMs.

This "water pan" sits almost directly on top of the coals. Your gut alone should tell you this isn't right.

Stop and THINK about it for a second. The idea and it's implmentation are flawed.

I mean customer loyalty is fine but ... .

Manufacturers in all markets and industries "repurpose" parts all the time. I'll agree that with a very full charcoal ring, the clearance isn't great, but (not to beat a dead horse) I can't imagine any rational person reaching into the pit with an unprotected hand for any reason. Sorry, but you just sound like that customer who was shocked when a fast food joint had the gaul to serve her hot coffee.

The design on the smokers work great for me.
Keep cooking on them don't let the little things bother you.
Once you get to know your cooker you will know excatly how to set your vents and get a set temp every time.

Thanks Tony. I learned a few things using my homemade Mini WSM. It was good training.

I had no problems with stabilizing the temp. I got it between 225 -230 pretty quickly and it stayed there. I shook the smoker gently a couple of times to get ash of the coals. The smoker stayed in range the whole time.

My problem came when I tried load a piece of apple wood.

So I'm not discouraged. I have a great smoker here and I'm glad
I bought it.

The only problem with it I see is Weber's penurious choice to use a charcoal
grill charcoal bowl as a much too large water pan for WSMs.

Thanks Tony. I learned a few things using my homemade Mini WSM. It was good training.

I had no problems with stabilizing the temp. I got it between 225 -230 pretty quickly and it stayed there. I shook the smoker gently a couple of times to get ash of the coals. The smoker stayed in range the whole time.

My problem came when I tried load a piece of apple wood.

So I'm not discouraged. I have a great smoker here and I'm glad
I bought it.

The only problem with it I see is Weber's penurious choice to use a charcoal
grill charcoal bowl as a much too large water pan for WSMs.

You could of waited until later... I do it all the time and it doesn't hurt what ever
Your cooking. Try cooking with no water in the pan. You will be surprised.

Mickey...can you post of pic of how close the water bowl is to the charcoal when it's loaded down. I mainly cook on my Performer for smaller cooks and a UDS for larger cooks. I also recently built a mini, but haven't used it yet. I've been thinking of adding a WSM to the arsenal because I think the removable body would be easier to deal with than lowering 20lbs of charcoal down into the 55 gallon drum.

Just a observation. In the user manual in the "getting started" section the illustration (#9 specifically) shows the user using a pair of tongs to place the wood over the hot coals.

Let's take it easy fellas. We're just talking about a smoker design here. Nothing to get worked up over.

I believe the design is to save Non Recurring Engineering (lots of parts are reused across the Weber line) - to reduce cost to the end user. There are compromises when this is done.

Back