A Friend of a Friend..... Is Cutting Down a Cherry Tree

Jem Scott

TVWBB Member
I cannot tell a lie... and I got dibbs on it.

I don't know how large it is, haven't seen it. I have a covered place to store it regardless of its yield.

If this were to fall in your lap, how would you suggest to have it cut for drying out for future smoke wood?

My thoughts are fireplace size and run with it. Later on I can saw it up to chunk size.

Thanks.

I have peach and plum trees. Every now and then I get a limb or two. I throw them under a cedar tree to use the next year. When I need them I cut off a hunk and throw it in the smoker.

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?46565-Police-Call&p=498534#post498534

Of course, I live in the country and have no neighbors or homeowner's association (unless you count the deer, turkey, rabbits, squirrels, chipmunks, coyote, fox, possum, skunks, racoons, and on and on...) so nobody cares.

You may need to cut, split, and stack.

Last edited:
Jem, I get apple wood from a guy up the road from me, he's a lumberjack. drops off pretty much to last me through a year and more than enough so I do share.
When I get it, I store it under roof in my wood shed for a coupla months before chopping it to size.
It's on the left side of the oak ▼ out of picture. I keep them in the lengths he drops off (about 3 to 5 foot sections).
the pieces I can fit into my chop saw, I cut using that... the larger pieces in diameter, I use a chain saw.
But I like the smaller rounds. The chop saw gives me sawdust folks like to use for smokin' cheese.

IMG_5113.JPG

Cherry wood is EXCELLENT with apple wood for ribs and butts!
Nice Haul!!

Of course, I live in the country and have no neighbors or homeowner's association (unless you count the deer, turkey, rabbits, squirrels, chipmunks, coyote, fox, possum, skunks, racoons, and on and on...) so nobody cares.

You may need to cut, split, and stack.
hehehe, it'll be stored on the family farm in a dis-used tobacco bulk barn. We use them all for storage now. We have similar wildlife in NC. Add beavers that have swamped a small creek on the back of the property, ground hogs that can sink John Deer tractors with their holes and rednecks that will.... oh wait, you're from Bama, nuff said. :)

Last edited:
What you need to do with it, depends on the pieces of wood. Most cherry trees are very hard, so have sharp tools at hand.
It's difficult to give a more precise piece of advice.
Some, like myself, own three chainsaws, a sawhorse saw, a sawhorse, ten axes in different sizes and shapes, a wood splitter, and so on. I can cope with any cherry tree, no matter the size.

Others might have a cheap hacksaw and a hammer and maybe a blunt chisel as their only tools. You'd make just as nice smoked food by cutting off a few brances, cutting them to 20 cm pieces and store them sheltered from the elements.

Generally, I would do something like Jim Lampes' picture.

I cannot tell a lie... and I got dibbs on it.

I don't know how large it is, haven't seen it. I have a covered place to store it regardless of its yield.

If this were to fall in your lap, how would you suggest to have it cut for drying out for future smoke wood?

My thoughts are fireplace size and run with it. Later on I can saw it up to chunk size.

Thanks.

For smoke wood purposes I think it is much easier to cut the log into 1.5" cookies, then bust the cookies up as you need them. They are very easy to split that way.

For smoke wood purposes I think it is much easier to cut the log into 1.5" cookies, then bust the cookies up as you need them. They are very easy to split that way.

+1

I "acquired" most of a 70' cherry a couple of years ago, and I split most of the straight stuff for firewood, saved all the knurls and crotch pieces for the smoker. Spent a day making discs, and stored that way. Every month or so, I go out and hack up a couple of discs. Fortunately for me, I love cooking with cherry, particularly on pork.

My youngest son, Sean, gave me a box of Pear trimmings. These are branch lengths. I will cut them in discs (or cookies) like Brian suggests. They'll work just fine. I suspect that most fruit woods flavor similarly. My first choice is apple, but I don't turn any fruit woods down, no sirree!:D

Keep on Smokin'!
Dale53:wsm:

I have a standing dead apple tree waiting for me downstate. The deal is I get the wood
and plant a new young tree nearby. Now I just need to talk my son into doing the heavy
work.

Back