A foodsaver....are they worth the money??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ron F

TVWBB Fan
I was thinking of purchasing one of these and noticed how much the bags for them are. I'm just wondering, do you really save any money by using one? It's not the initial cost(about $100 around here), its the bags. I know many like them cuz' they get all the air out and your product probably stays fresher longer but around my home nothing stays frozen too long. We eat it! Also, if they are worth having, is one brand better than another?

Ron

It doesn't take a lot of freezer-burnt meat to equal the cost of one roll of Foodsaver bags-- about $10. Also, bear in mind the additional benefits of being able to vacuum seal wide-mouth Mason jars, extending the shelf life of rice, pasta, beans, cereals, nuts, snacks, etc. I recently prepared some sausage I had sealed and frozen a little over a year ago-- the last of a 5-pound box I split up and packaged-- and it was indistinguishable from the day I bought it.

After a lot of research before purchasing mine, I went with the Tilia Foodsaver model that is currently known as a 550. Online reviews favored Tilia over similar models by other manufacturers almost unanimously. At one point, it was hard to comparison shop the same Tilia models because they came packaged with different accessories from various resellers. I don't know it this is still the case, but would bet places like Sam's or QVC would have special configurations.

I have a Tilia and I think is definitely worth the money. The bags can be washed out and reused, thus saving some money. People think that this machine is for food only. It can be used for a number of other things. People seal documents and photos in them. Campers seal matches and flashlights to help keep them dry in case of rain. Boaters and rafters also use them to keep items dry. Think outside of the box. It's not just for food anymore.

I got the Tilia Foodsaver 800 around 6 months ago. I consider it money very well spent. I'm cheap too, but I don't worry about the bags. They seem expensive, but as Doug said, they really do prevent freezer burn. It's great when the local stores run their occasional meat sales, you can stock up and not worry about loosing meat to the freezer. I've kept steaks for months that seem just as fresh as when I bought them when I eat them.
Good for barbecue too, but that seems to go so fast it doesn't spend much time in the freezer. Also, ribs don't work too well because you can't get all the air out from in between the ribs, normal bags work just as well there.
Anyway, looking back I would definately buy one again.

I have the Tila 800 and recommend it. Amazon had a very good sale on it and I got it through this site.

Bags are expensive. However, they can be reused and more importantly you don't need to get carried away and use them for everything if money is a consideration. I sometimes buy packs of 4 rib-eyes at Sam's at a good price and it makes sense to vacuum seal them. If you BBQ and I assume you do if you're on this site, they're excellent for pulled pork.

Paul

The Tilia 1050 is 50% off $89.99 at amazon right now as posted by Jim C in Just Conversation Forum. I bought one through the TVWB and it shipped today. Ordered some extras and got to use the $25.00 off AUGUSTPROMS code. Bryan

Now that is thinking outside the box. The only thing better than a discount and a coupon is a discount, a coupon, and a rebate.
icon_wink.gif

(Excuse me, I have to go take something off my $7.82 Epson 5760dpi photo printer.)

It's a great tool. We try to get the family involved in purchases like this. We live close enough that we just have one that we pass around as needed. Same thing for other things like a trailer, a video camera, etc. We try to not buy multiples of the same thing when it's not something you use too frequently. I'm not cheap, but I don't mind a deal and sharing is a good deal. We use it once or twice a month.

Ron,

I have one of the original models and love it.

As others have noted, the premade bags are expensive--and limited to preset sizes. The model I have has the roll storage & cutter built-in so it's easy to make my own bags. Rolls cost around US$9-10 (cheaper in multi-roll packs or certain places) just about anywhere

I've noticed that some of the cheaper models now don't include a storage bin or cutter so Tilia has created a gadget just for this purpose. One wonders whether the cost of a bottom-of-the-line Foodsaver and this device is more/less/same expensive than the model with it all in one.

A great thing to add to your cooking arsenal.
I use mine everytime I cook. Once you get one you will find ways to use it.

Nothing like giving people vacuum sealed leftover packages as to go bags. Very impressive.

Yes, a highly recommended device. It's one of the few bags capable of withstanding boiling water, which you can use to reheat sealed BBQ such as pulled pork (such as with a turkey fryer at an outdoor event).

Pays for itself. Check out HSN or QVC.com, they always have good prices on foodsavers. Buy the bags at Walmart.

ditto.
Although I think that frozen steaks have a different texture. But they sure taste the same. And I keep my coffee beans in an empty, cleaned 32 oz chicken stock can, using the universal foodsaver lid. You can buy bulk, and the beans stay fresh forever cause there's no air for oxidation.

You might also consider the Sinbo VS280 vacuum sealer. It uses flat vacuum bags, which are considerably less expensive than the special bags required by the Tilia Foodsaver machines. I've had mine for over a year and it works very well. Here's a link to where I bought mine:

http://www.sorbentsystems.com/sinbosealer.html

They had a special promotion: the sealer, plus 200 free bags (in addition to the 30 that come with the sealer), plus free shipping, for $139. I don't know if that offer is still good. (The 200 bags alone would cost $80 if you bought the same size for a Foodsaver machine.)

We have the Food Saver Vac 750 from Sam's Club. While not so sold on that particular model, we are sold on the Food Saver system. We have found that we can smoke 7 racks of ribs, eat one or two slabs, then put the rest in the freezer in food saver bags. When we have a large group over, we drop the frozen ribs in boiling water (in the bag) as needed and re-heat on a large grill, adding sauce to some, nothing to others. Taste like just off the WSM and we don't thaw more than we will use. Same works with butts.

Tom

There's nothing like looking in the freezer and seeing 10 meal size portions of pork, brisket and ribs just sitting there waiting on a 20 minute boil and a trip to the serving plate.
icon_smile.gif

I agree with the majority here that a food saver is worth the cost. I've had a Tila 550 for years. I like to buy large quantity's of meats on sale and seal them in to smaller servings for the wife and I. Works great!

Just used my 1050 for the first time. Worked great, going to come in handy for sure. Just got back from BJ'S and they have the 1050 with 2 canisters 3/4 q and 1 1/2 q plus the lid sealer, bottle stopers and bags for $99.00
icon_eek.gif
Bryan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back