A foodsaver....are they worth the money??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bryan,

Did you buy them all??
icon_biggrin.gif
Just kidding. That's a fantastik price!!

Bil, LOL No i got mine at amazon through the TVWBB when it was 50 % off
icon_biggrin.gif
I was very impressed with it when i used it today. Nice way to store all my Texas BBQ rub.
icon_wink.gif
Bryan

I agree with all the positive comments here... I bought a Tilia FoodSaver Pro and think it's great. Yesterday was a perfect example: I've been craving duck so picked one up to smoke. No sense burning that much charcoal for one duck, expecially since Safeway had Perdue chix on a 2 for 1 sale. So I put two chickens in the bottom, duck on top. We ate the duck for dinner and afterwards, I carved up the chickens into meal-size portions (basically 1/2 chicken per bag) and now we've got great chicken for at least 4 nights when we don't feel like cooking. I cook in bulk all the time; now on nights when we're busy, we're having steaks or BBQ instead of prepared, frozen food.

I'm a cheapskate, but this thing will pay for itself sooner or later! I bought some MagicVac bags from Goodmans:

http://www.goodmans.net/get_list_204.htm

These bags are a bit cheaper than the factory ones, and seem to work just fine.

Get one!

I also agree. I bought the Foodsaver 750 at Sam's for $99.00. Comes with a bag cutter, extra bags and extra containers. The freeze and boil method has worked out great for us.

As an after thought to my previous post, has anybody had problems when using the foodsaver to vac pack anything with gravy or liquid? It seems like no matter how big a bag I use, it still sucks the liquid up, out of the bag, into the sealing well, gunking up everything and making the bag hard to seal.

Liquid is a problem. some cuff their bags when inserting food to keep the seal area clean and dry, and some put a papaer towel just inside to catch any juice before it enters the seal area. Sealing liquid like gravy or other would require using the manual seal option which, unfortunately, is not on the 750
icon_frown.gif

Bill, my 750 does have a manual seal option but I didn't know what it was for. I guess it pays to read the directions. Why is the manual seal better for liquid?

Oh! Guess their chart is wrong...

The foodsaver will automatically start sealing when it detects a predetermined amount of resistance or vaccuum (when sucking the air out of the bag). Once the air is removed, it will start drawing the liquid out of the bag.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Al Silverman:
Hi,
The manual seal is used for making bags from the roll material. Also used for sealing bags without drawing a vacuum.

Al <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Al,
With that in mind, an option would be to seal anything that contains liquids using the manual seal which would avoid the liquid being sucked out but at the same time, not having a vacuum sealed bag.

Dave

The solution to this problem depends upon what exactly you are vaccuum sealing.

However, if you freeze it (or partially freeze it) first in the bag, then vaccuum seal it, this will prevent that problem. Obviously, this only works for certain things.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dave Schwartz:
As an after thought to my previous post, has anybody had problems when using the foodsaver to vac pack anything with gravy or liquid? It seems like no matter how big a bag I use, it still sucks the liquid up, out of the bag, into the sealing well, gunking up everything and making the bag hard to seal. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The manual seal on the 1050 is for liquids and fragile items I E chips crackers and such. That way you can stop it before you get crumbs or liquid in the sealing area. ON the 1050 you use the on button to make bags you just don't put the end of the bag in the sealing area/pit. Bryan

Yeah, what Bryan said. We also will start the vacuum and hit the manual seal when needed or wanted with wet foods. Has worked well for us
icon_wink.gif

Bill, aren't they all that way? I don't see why you would have to put the end of the bag in the vacuum chamber to make a bag. When the sealing stip is in front of the chamber.If you have a button on your food saver that says manual seal then one would think that it's used for manual seal.I'm not saying that all foodsavers are the same but you should be able to seal up liquid with out it going into the vacuum chamber Just asking / trying to help. Bryan

You said it better than I did, Bryan. That's exactly what I was trying to say
icon_smile.gif
~ Thanks
icon_cool.gif

BTW, that's 2 posts now with no smileys
icon_biggrin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back