9mm Grates for Genesis II 400 Series

The last report I read here said that he was having supply line issues for the grate materials. Possibly wouldn’t be making them anymore, but if he did the price was going to be a lot higher. I messaged him from Craigslist a couple weeks ago when I added the 9mm older Genesis grates to my stainless rod thread. I asked if he could give me an update on his status. No reply.

He is definitely still selling flavorizer bars (where he got his start) both on Craigslist and eBay. I don’t know if he is using up old stock or if that type of stainless is more readily available.

The last report I read here said that he was having supply line issues for the grate materials. Possibly wouldn’t be making them anymore, but if he did the price was going to be a lot higher. I messaged him from Craigslist a couple weeks ago when I added the 9mm older Genesis grates to my stainless rod thread. I asked if he could give me an update on his status. No reply.

He is definitely still selling flavorizer bars (where he got his start) both on Craigslist and eBay. I don’t know if he is using up old stock or if that type of stainless is more readily available.
I don't know his particular situation, but I use 304 in business and the price has risen with the cost of nickel due to the Ukraine Russia war and record demand for electric vehicles. Bigger fish are hoarding 1-2 year supplies, so it may be difficult for him to get rod stock at reasonable prices, maybe at all

That's very disappointing, but with just the way everything has been completely understandable. I wish I took care of this earlier instead of procrastinated. What's the next best thing? I'm still using the stock ceramic coated grates and wanted to upgrade.

I can also recommend the Qlimetal grates had them for 3 years on my Silver C and have a set on my friends 1100 no issues with either set. Could they be a touch longer sure and if you had a warped firebox maybe that could be an issue but its not for me. I liked their products so much just bought a set of their flavorizer bars for the Silver C as the originals finally bit the dust.

I can also recommend the Qlimetal grates had them for 3 years on my Silver C and have a set on my friends 1100 no issues with either set. Could they be a touch longer sure and if you had a warped firebox maybe that could be an issue but its not for me. I liked their products so much just bought a set of their flavorizer bars for the Silver C as the originals finally bit the dust.
Brian, one cool thing about these newer 9mm grates - for the original Genesis at least - is that they ARE longer. They (bottom) are virtually the same dimensions as rcplanebuyer’s (top).

65B24784-6D50-46A4-9D6A-18015883D0FB.jpeg

Update:
The grates are not safe to use as-is. The combination of being too short and crooked allows the grates to slide past each other, opening large gaps in the grate surface. It seems this is not unique to my set because the only reviews posted for this variant have the same problem. Unfortunately, I missed the return window while trying to find a 2022 Genesis to try them on for you guys, and Qulimetal is ignoring my messages. I haven't posted my review yet, hoping they would make it right. Here are the others.

Attachments

• grate1.jpg
    grate1.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 14
  • grate2.jpg
    grate2.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 14
Your Amazon links are not working for me. Those seem to be bend mid grate. The couple pairs I have gotten that were bent, were bent out of square, likely from being dropped on one corner. I had good luck bending them back in shape. I would try to figure out a way to try to do that with yours. Just be slow and careful.

Also, keep in mind that a lot of Genesis cook boxes suffer from bowing out along the front and back. This is generally caused by at least one or likely several very high heat cycles due to grease fires or some other cause for the temps to rise well above normal levels. My point is to make sure that you test them on a straight cook box.
I have found Qlimetal grates to be good quality/value on the older Genesis grates.

It definitely seems like you got a bad set or that Qlimetal did a poor job on the ones for the Genesis II. I have to say that their 9mm grates for x000/Silver/Gold/Platinum are extremely nice and virtually identical in size to those made by Dave Santana/rcplanebuyer whose offerings are pretty much the gold standard for older Genesis grates. (pictures previously posted above)

Based on my purchase of their 9mm grates for the earlier Genesis, I CAN recommend them, but obviously not the ones for the Genesis II. I really hope Qlimetal will do something to make this right for you. My dealings with them so far have been very good. Please keep us posted. I would suggest you mention TVWBB and maybe the fact that another member (me) was one of their reviewers for a different product (flavorizer bars). I have been honest in my reviews and happy to say good things about Qlimetal on this board. If they don't come through for you, this will tarnish their reputation in my view.

Those photos are from the Amazon reviews I tried to link. Mine are too short overall and not twisted, but the individual rods are different lengths and positions relative to the crossbars.

The reviews of the grates for Genesis II 3-burner grates are mostly good. I think they struggled with this first batch of 4-burner grates for some reason. It's like they didn't yet have a jig, so tried to freehand the first run.

Good news is that Amazon just made an exception to allow a late return, so I'm not stuck with them. If QuliMetal sees 100% bad reviews and returns on this variant, hopefully they'll fix it with rods the same length as the 3-burner grates, as I requested initially.

I'm in no rush to upgrade, but I'll check back in some months and see if they've improved.

Here's the main product page. If you go to all reviews and filter by type you can see the 2 bad reviews for the G2 400 series.

QuliMetal 18.7" SUS304 /9MM Cooking Grates for Weber Genesis II 400 and Genesis II LX 400 Series, Genesis ll LX E-410, E-435, E-440, S-410, S-435, S-440 Gas Grills, Replacement for Weber 66089 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09QPYS9X9/?tag=tvwb-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Good news is that Amazon just made an exception to allow a late return, so I'm not stuck with them. If QuliMetal sees 100% bad reviews and returns on this variant, hopefully they'll fix it with rods the same length as the 3-burner grates, as I requested initially.

Mack, glad to hear you are able to return them, and thanks for posting the update on your variant. Hopefully they will address this as they seem to be one of the few sources for 9mm SS grates.

Mack,
I am happy for you, too. I hope Qlimetal is listening and does what id needed to fix this model. Besides liking their 9mm early Genesis grates, I have always found their 7mm grates and all their flavorizer bars to be very good.

Yah, my guess is they developed these new grates as a test run. I also hope they take note, make corrections and re-release them and pay more attention to QC before they leave the manufacturing plant.
But, to be clear, Qlimetal probably is just a reseller. They likely farm their manufacturing out and just re-brand them before packaging and shipping them. Not really a problem, but they need to refine the specs and tolerances they will accept from the factory.

Those are some nice looking grates. I would prefer they don't have the middle cross member, but still, they are pretty top level looking.

I finally tried them on my S-435 today. I'd been waiting to try them on store's 2022 grill before I got them dirty, but Lowe's wouldn't play along.

Anyhow, here are some photos on my grill. Bars are somewhat staggered, as if they were cut too short for the jig. They're also shorter on average than the Weber grates, just barely long enough to not drop in.

Seasoned 7mm Weber grates shown for comparison.
View attachment 50714
I had this same problem for the grates I bought for my Silver C cut almost 3/8s of a inch to short and hard to scrap and brush during cleaning I returned them.
Other than that out standing grates well shaped ends smooth grids, welds very high quality just cut to short.

Back