??? !

Jim Lampe

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Thermoworks SMOKE versus MEATER PLUS

I have Smoke.
Works fine.
However, i do not have the latest that utilizes wifi.

Meater on the other hand really appeals to me not more than ever,
most likely because it's been around awhile now, gets/has great reviews....

I'm leaning on purchasing MEATER Plus.
can you owners talk me out of it?

Thank y'all in advance eet.gif

I have two meater plus, a smoke and a smoke X4.

I don't think the Meater is as accurate as the smoke based on what the thermapen reports.

Ambient temps are also off.

I have a couple of weeks to return the Meater.

I like the concept, but...

I'm hoping TW will release a wifi bridge for the X4 only so I could chart temps of my longer cooks.

I have the original Smoke with the gateway and a Meater+. The Meater is invaluable for rotisserie cooking, but I rely on the Smoke for nearly everything else. It's just too handy having the little receiver. If I want to record a cook I use the gateway or I use my 4-probe HeaterMeter. I use the HM nearly exclusively with the BGE. I did try the Meater on a thick ribeye once and the smoke bomb that was on the flavo bars caught fire and the Meater freaked out. The Meater is horrible with ambient in my view and I rely on the Smoke for that. I like the data collection aspect but like I say, it's usefulness for me is in rotisserie cooking.

Nah, you don't need either of them. But, they make long BBQ's so easy and convenient. Have you ever done a Brisket? Not having to go out every 20 minutes to check it is worth a lot. And the first time you have a grease fire and don't have the remote thermometer alert you that your temps are out of range, you will regret it. Or when you run out of propane in the middle of the cook and don't catch it for a half hour.
A good quality manual instant read thermometer is critical, but a remote thermometer is pretty valuable to grilling as well. If you keep your eyes on the Thermoworks site, you can get their Smoke on sale for a pretty reasonable price.

The other thing I will mention is there are new players entering the wireless probe space - the MeatStick and a probe made by Yummly. For the longest time Meater was the only name in the game, so it's good to see some competition. I would love to see ThermoWorks offer a wired/wireless probe combo someday, but apparently it is not easy creating an algorithm for a wireless probe.

The other thing I will mention is there are new players entering the wireless probe space - the MeatStick and a probe made by Yummly. For the longest time Meater was the only name in the game, so it's good to see some competition. I would love to see ThermoWorks offer a wired/wireless probe combo someday, but apparently it is not easy creating an algorithm for a wireless probe.
thank you Ed for a sensible response.

I don't have the Smoke, so you might not want me to reply but I do have the Meater Block and the Fireboard. For me, the Fireboard is perfect in nearly every way, especially its web-based dashboard. I'm a heavy desktop user, and its dashboard is very useful for logging notes on each cook.

But I do enjoy the convenience of the Meater not having probe wires. I can rely on it for monitoring the temps of my food but as others have said I do not trust its pit temp readings; in my experience it always reports a lower pit temp until way later in the cook. But then again, I've never placed a Fireboard probe 2" away from my food like what is the case of the Meater, so I am not here to say that I guarantee it is not reading the correct temp at that location.

So almost always I use the Fireboard to monitor my pit (and for logging cook notes when I do) and the Meater for my food.

Last edited:
...then please tell me which is a CORRECT forum. :rolleyes:

why, in your opinion, would you advise me to purchase ANOTHER grill? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

you're joking, right?
Jim, I wasn't even looking at your name/avatar when I made that comment. I feel a little stupid now. But then I would have guessed you already had at least one or both of those remote therms already or at least had some familiarity with them.

as they say on "Love It Or List It",
decision made.

thanks for all the responses, very much appreciated.

Hope I'm not too late. The Meater has been a huge disappointment for me, it's only good in low & slow cooks. You put it in a high-heat cook and it throws a tizzy about being too hot screaming it's about to die which mine probably did because now it can't connect to my app/phone at all. It's range is maybe 10' on a good day anyway. I'm in the process of trying to get a refund and that's not going too well

Back