8# Char Siu

Brett-EDH

TVWBB Olympian
@Joan reminded me how good this can be and I haven’t cooked it in a while.

So, 8# butt, trimmed and cut into nice sized chunks, salted, seasoned, added wet marinade ingredients, mixed and now bagged for a few hours.

Off to grad party number I don’t recall anymore.

This’ll be dinner, if we get home early enough to cook it off.

1653944788062.jpeg

1653944808418.jpeg

1653944826638.jpeg

1653944848771.jpeg

Tune in after 5 PDT as the story continues.

Last edited:
Great put together Brett! I’ll take the sous-chef’s plate please. (y)
i could always use good hands to help.

Leftover pork slices will likely go into a roast pork chow mein, vietnamese pork fresh rolls, a char siu burrito with hoisin, cilantro, rice and green onion. that should be enough to get through this in a few days.

Last edited:
Ill take a Chef's plate please....Thanks for sharing that goodness.
giving credit where credit is due. the chow mein is from here and it's very good and easy to follow. note: add the bean sprouts in dead last. they give off too much moisture if added early in the woking cook. they are for finishing only; just a gentle heat through.

i did add 7 leaves of napa cabbage to the mixture, separating the leafy parts from the firm base stems. cook the stems with the onions, on super high heat and then add the leafy parts. otherwise, follow as it. steaming the noodles is KEY to this recipe. i made a ghetto steamer of crumpled aluminum foil and rested my small mesh strainer atop the foil and lidded the wok (16 oz fresh mein noodles from Ranch 99 here in CA). 10 minutes is perfect timing and then a quick dunk into the hot water and then a cold water rinse. let your mein drain fully before woking it. the hotter your wok the better to help develop that wok hei and crips the mein up for texture and flavor.

go for it. this is a great and easy recipe to follow,

Back