70th Anniversary Kettle is Available

Nice nostalgia and colors. 500. Uh I might build a outdoor cook top and...
Maybe a stainless with foot pedal..
Smoke pit.
Oh who am I kidding, just send 500 to Bruce and be pleasantly surprised.

I got my rock n roll blue kettle and haven’t opened it. I am still thinking whether to return it. I already have a WSCGC and not sure if I have an use case for the kettle. I got it just because of FOMO.

I am really glad I didn't let Weber hit a home run off of me for one of these cookers only
to find the defects demonstrated in Tom's video.

Disappointing to see the markup does not translate into a premium product.

Mine came with the same defects as Tom's. The lid being the big one. I've already contacted Weber, but they haven't responded back. I'm assuming the issue is widespread now.

just wow. That’s why I wouldn’t buy a kettle as a collectible, these are cookers not art work.
I am not at a location where I can watch Tom’s video, but from the responses it sounds too much like the “Limited” red all over again. I hope not.

On collecting kettles, it is like any other collector bug. So many colors and different sizes with some rare ones out there to fuel the fire. I admit I have a couple Smokey Joes (one ivory from Germany) and an 18” 1974 kettle - I rescued for a song and then restored - that just sit in my office on display. Most people think that is crazy, but it’s fun to me. I try to remember, though, that kettles - and gas grills - were made for cooking! I enjoy that, too! I have a nice old metal handle red kettle that I love to use. Those old reds actually do “blush” when they get hot!

F92E9A27-E1B6-4186-B58E-91FE712F8DFF.jpeg

2C5868A4-2E1E-4695-9C7D-970910867A19.jpeg
BB3EC98F-35B1-4552-BBB5-27E9F3195C1C.jpeg

Last edited:
Let me preface this by saying that I work on the Weber Charcoal Product Management team.

Regarding Tom's video, "out-of-round" lids or bowls (it's usually the lid) are definitely not normal or acceptable, and should be replaced under warranty through our Consumer Care team. If anyone has an issue getting a response from our Consumer Care team in the US or Canada, please reach out to me and I will help. Percentage wise, there's been very few out-of-round units reported, but I can totally appreciate that there should be zero, and if you've got one yourself it doesn't matter to you if there's a .00001% rate or a 100% rate...it sucks and isn't what you expect of a $439 Weber product.

A bent ash catcher bowl is also not considered normal or acceptable and can be claimed through our Consumer Care team. Tom's report of that is the only one I've heard of to date.

Just to level set, the "issues" noted with the enamel on the leg coupling brackets are normal aspects of the bowl manufacturing and enameling process. Kettle bowls rest on the leg coupling brackets when they go through the furnace to bake the enamel. As a result, you'll see marks along the lower edge of the leg coupling bracket.

leg_coupling_manufacturing_process.jpg

You may also see black enamel undercoat showing along the backside of the leg coupling brackets where the coupling seam is located. Color enamels can have a hard time bridging the minor gap created by the seam. As long as bare steel isn't showing through, the leg coupling bracket will hold up just fine, and if there is a corrosion issue down the road, there's always the 10 year warranty on the bowl (and lid). It's also important to remember that the back of the leg coupling brackets will be hidden once the ash catcher assembly is installed. 1652707561787.png
I completely understand the desire for every kettle, not just 70th kettles, to be perfect, and perfection is what we strive for at Weber, however, there are certain enamel characteristics that are considered normal, and always have been. To see a list of details on what's normal and what's not, please check out this FAQ I wrote on the topic: https://consumer-care.weber.com/hc/...andcrafted-Porcelain-Enamel-on-Lids-and-Bowls

And as I mentioned, if you have an issue with your 70th Anniversary Edition Kettle and are having a hard time getting in touch with our US or Canadian Consumer Care teams, please do not hesitate to reach out to me and I will be happy to help. #IworkforWeber

Let me preface this by saying that I work on the Weber Charcoal Product Management team.

Regarding Tom's video, "out-of-round" lids or bowls (it's usually the lid) are definitely not normal or acceptable, and should be replaced under warranty through our Consumer Care team. If anyone has an issue getting a response from our Consumer Care team in the US or Canada, please reach out to me and I will help. Percentage wise, there's been very few out-of-round units reported, but I can totally appreciate that there should be zero, and if you've got one yourself it doesn't matter to you if there's a .00001% rate or a 100% rate...it sucks and isn't what you expect of a $439 Weber product.

A bent ash catcher bowl is also not considered normal or acceptable and can be claimed through our Consumer Care team. Tom's report of that is the only one I've heard of to date.

Just to level set, the "issues" noted with the enamel on the leg coupling brackets are normal aspects of the bowl manufacturing and enameling process. Kettle bowls rest on the leg coupling brackets when they go through the furnace to bake the enamel. As a result, you'll see marks along the lower edge of the leg coupling bracket.

leg_coupling_manufacturing_process.jpg

You may also see black enamel undercoat showing along the backside of the leg coupling brackets where the coupling seam is located. Color enamels can have a hard time bridging the minor gap created by the seam. As long as bare steel isn't showing through, the leg coupling bracket will hold up just fine, and if there is a corrosion issue down the road, there's always the 10 year warranty on the bowl (and lid). It's also important to remember that the back of the leg coupling brackets will be hidden once the ash catcher assembly is installed. View attachment 50811
I completely understand the desire for every kettle, not just 70th kettles, to be perfect, and perfection is what we strive for at Weber, however, there are certain enamel characteristics that are considered normal, and always have been. To see a list of details on what's normal and what's not, please check out this FAQ I wrote on the topic: https://consumer-care.weber.com/hc/...andcrafted-Porcelain-Enamel-on-Lids-and-Bowls

And as I mentioned, if you have an issue with your 70th Anniversary Edition Kettle and are having a hard time getting in touch with our US or Canadian Consumer Care teams, please do not hesitate to reach out to me and I will be happy to help. #IworkforWeber

John, thanks for the information and the link to the FAQ. Also for keeping us updated on the 70th anniversary kettles. :)

About a year ago, I bought a slate blue and an ivory Smokey Joe. The slate blue was FLAWLESS. But the Ivory SJ had some black
undercoat specks on the lid. They were small, but on a brand new full price grill, I did not like that, and contacted Weber CS.
After reading your FAQs, maybe my expectations were not realistic.
Regardless, they sent me a new lid... which also had specks - but fewer, and in different locations. 🤷‍♀️ LOL
So I decided that would be good enough - and I do love the grill.

I expect my new Diner Green kettle will arrive this week. :giggle:

John, thanks for the information and the link to the FAQ. Also for keeping us updated on the 70th anniversary kettles. :)

About a year ago, I bought a slate blue and an ivory Smokey Joe. The slate blue was FLAWLESS. But the Ivory SJ had some black
undercoat specks on the lid. They were small, but on a brand new full price grill, I did not like that, and contacted Weber CS.
After reading your FAQs, maybe my expectations were not realistic.
Regardless, they sent me a new lid... which also had specks - but fewer, and in different locations. 🤷‍♀️ LOL
So I decided that would be good enough - and I do love the grill.

I expect my new Diner Green kettle will arrive this week. :giggle:
If you send a photo of the Ivory SJ specks I can evaluate for you and let you know if it's within our parameters. I hope you love the Diner Green 70th Kettle!!

Thanks John, I have no doubt that Weber will fix the lid issue. It was just a bit of a bummer. The customer service team has reached out and is troubleshooting.

The Rock n Roll blue is good looking though. My wife questioned if I'd actually cook on it because it looks so pretty.

Thanks John, I have no doubt that Weber will fix the lid issue. It was just a bit of a bummer. The customer service team has reached out and is troubleshooting.

The Rock n Roll blue is good looking though. My wife questioned if I'd actually cook on it because it looks so pretty.
I can totally appreciate it being a huge bummer, and I'm really sorry to learn that you ran into trouble to begin with!

I'm glad to hear the consumer care team has been in touch. We have a dedicated team assigned to work with 70th kettle owners, so if it takes a little bit to get to the right person it's just because the larger team is making sure the request is being routed properly. I personally trained that dedicated team about 70th kettles, so once you're in touch with the right person they should know exactly what to do.

So are you planning on cooking on it? I can't blame you if you don't! :)

If you send a photo of the Ivory SJ specks I can evaluate for you and let you know if it's within our parameters. I hope you love the Diner Green 70th Kettle!!
Thank you - but that's water under the bridge!
Looking forward to the diner green - and have been since I first saw it. Avocado is the one color I wanted but haven't been able to find,
and this is the closest thing I've seen.
In case I wasn't clear - I have always been very happy with Weber Customer Service!

Back