70th Anniversary Kettle is Available

I think I'll just go out and hug my dark green 22" kettle that I got for $75 a few years ago, new in box. Maybe I'll buy it some wooden handles for its birthday. 😉
$75 on a Green 22" One-Touch Gold new-in-box is a great deal! Back in 2004, the selling price on that model was already $139. Wooden handles for it's b-day sounds like a nice treat!

Thank you - but that's water under the bridge!
Looking forward to the diner green - and have been since I first saw it. Avocado is the one color I wanted but haven't been able to find,
and this is the closest thing I've seen.
In case I wasn't clear - I have always been very happy with Weber Customer Service!
For that price I think Weber could have come out with some BOLDER colors, and not even a Red. :(
For the 70th Kettles, we worked on a color palette that was aligned with some 1950s automotive color trends AND were manufacturable from a porcelain enameling standpoint, without having to do so in China.

To make the classic "Weber Red", we would have needed to enamel the lids and bowls in China, due to current environmental regulations in the US regarding the waste by-products that are created when using the type of enamel formula used to make that bold red color.

Did we want to make red kettles part of the 70th lineup? Of course!

Did we want to celebrate the 70th Anniversary of the Weber Kettle by having to enamel one of the kettles in China? Nope.

That said, I can appreciate that colors can be a very polarizing feature, and everyone's favorite color might not be represented in this lineup.

For the 70th Kettles, we worked on a color palette that was aligned with some 1950s automotive color trends AND were manufacturable from a porcelain enameling standpoint, without having to do so in China.

To make the classic "Weber Red", we would have needed to enamel the lids and bowls in China, due to current environmental regulations in the US regarding the waste by-products that are created when using the type of enamel formula used to make that bold red color.

Did we want to celebrate the 70th Anniversary of the Weber Kettle by having to enamel one of the kettles in China? Nope.

That said, I can appreciate that colors can be a very polarizing feature, and everyone's favorite color might not be represented in this lineup.
some great info, thanks for the insight.

Now that is exactly the kind of info that helps put things in perspective.

This is so sad. Think about that for a second - Weber cannot make a classic red in the USA, the way they are used to, due to environmental regulations but can do so in China if they please. Just plain sad... with out getting too political I don't know what else to say. Its a sad state of affairs and does not help the environment, just changes the country of origin.

This is so sad. Think about that for a second - Weber cannot make a classic red in the USA, the way they are used to, due to environmental regulations but can do so in China if they please. Just plain sad... with out getting too political I don't know what else to say. Its a sad state of affairs and does not help the environment, just changes the country of origin.

To paraphrase a cold war slogan, better red than red.

Just to be clear, we haven't been able to make "classic" red in the US since about 1999, so this isn't a new situation. A true "classic" red hasn't been offered in the US since then, with the exception of the Limited Edition Red Kettles from the 2016-2017 season. We have offered brick red (retired color) and do currently offer crimson on certain models, both which can be done here in the US, but a crimson 70th kettle didn't feel right from a "1950s" look and feel.

Just to be clear, we haven't been able to make "classic" red in the US since about 1999, so this isn't a new situation. A true "classic" red hasn't been offered in the US since then, with the exception of the Limited Edition Red Kettles from the 2016-2017 season. We have offered brick red (retired color) and do currently offer crimson on certain models, both which can be done here in the US, but a crimson 70th kettle didn't feel right from a "1950s" look and feel.

Yup I have a crimson original and I'm a fan, but definitely not right for a throwback. I'm not hate-ing on making parts in China, just the regulation that forces you're hand. I'd much rather have a classic red enameled in China than none at all - but for 70th it wouldn't of been right. Do a batch sometime and throw on some US made wood handles to offset the Chineese-ium.

As long as colors are a plan going forward, those complaining now are bound to find something to appease them. Some folks just like to complain, it is what it is. Impossible to please everyone.

All I know, is I LOVE my red LE, and my Glen Blue 26, and my Spring Green, and Deep Ocean Blue, and of course am adding all four 70th colors.....oh and my Avocado Sequoia! There are so many options you guys can choose on colors, say maybe a flag for the 4th?? Like the one in the Indianapolis Weber Grill!!0690FAE7-5146-4A87-AB2D-215C549703AF.jpeg

Weber made Tom Horsman happy

Good, I'm glad they did. I was sure they would.
No way they would let him be unhappy - as Tom acknowledged. But I have to believe they will take care of the rest of us "unknowns" too. 😃

I just finished assembling mine - going to take it outside for some pics.
I have 2 small issues I intend to call them about... but the lid and bowl fit perfectly. And the porcelain/paint is perfect.

I've had a few issues with my kettle and I wanted some feedback if I'm being too picky. The first lid was warped and didn't fit at all, the second lid had some enamel chipping, and now I'm on the third. In some orientations it fits well, but if I rotate it 90 deg it wobbles and feels like it wants to slide off. Am I being too picky here or do I reach back out to Weber to try again? This is my first Weber that I've had in around 5 years and I don't remember this with my last master touch. It seems like it could be usable if I keep the lid in the same orientation all the time.

Hopefully the 70th Anniversary kettles are not plaiged with the flaws of the Limited Edition Red Kettle.

20220602_083206.jpg20220602_083310.jpg

John is it possible to post some "real life" photos of the kettles. I was torn between the blue and grey (chose grey) because I couldn't get an accurate look at the blue and none of the retailers had anything other than yellow.

Here’s one. EE.

Attachments

• F6089F98-344C-4856-BB75-638A3690FD4F.jpeg
    F6089F98-344C-4856-BB75-638A3690FD4F.jpeg
    140.6 KB · Views: 16

Back