'69 Cado 22

TracyD

So I picked this 1969(?) Avocado two tone 22.5" BAR-B-Q Kettle up last week on CL for $35.00. It was originally owned by a man who lived in Arlington Heights, IL. His son brought it to Colorado. They called it their Turkey Cooker. Based on the frozen vents, I believe it smoked many turkeys over the years. It came with the charcoal fences.

Here are the pictures before I worked to clean it up a bit.

avocado-weber_zpse877874d.jpg

There were some issues:

Triangle upside down and wired to the leg:

DSCN1226_zps137e89c9.jpg

Two of the bottom vents were frozen completely with turkey goo contrary to what the seller told me.

DSCN1222_zpsd371945d.jpg

One of the handles had come off at some point and the original owner had bolted it back on. The hardware does not look like stainless.

DSCN1223_zps08df0ec4.jpg

The wood handle was cracked and dried out from years in the dry sunny Colorado climate.

DSCN1225_zps3ccc68bf.jpg

So I took her apart and worked on the bottom vents. I had to gently pry them up with a screw driver to break them free. I pulled the legs and fixed the triangle. I did a little rust removal from the triangle. I also cut the loose handle off by cutting the rivets. Sanded, stained and sealed the old handle. I will buy a new handle from Brian at some point when I replace other handles.

Here's a few shots after the cleanup. I still need to replace the handle bolts with SS hardware and finish cleaning the bottom vents. More inside work may also be done. Also, will buy a cover to protect this gem.

DSCN1229_zpsbecd7b07.jpg

I love the real wheels:

DSCN1232_zpsbd38b149.jpg

Polished the vent with 0000 steel wool and wd-40. Refinished handle. :)

DSCN1228_zpsf9acca49.jpg

Fixed the bent vent tabs and freed the two frozen vents:
DSCN1230_zps1c2cb8b0.jpg

Still have some work to do on the main handle to prevent more rust. Overall I am happy with how this 40+ year old Bar-B-Q Kettle looks at this point.

Last edited:
It looks like it has cleaned up very well for you. I wonder how many of these oldies will make it to 100 years old?
Or better yet if people of that new generation will have interest in using charcoal.

That's pretty sweet right there. Its amazing how well the finish on that thing has held up

Even if you never cooked on it, its a great piece to have around. Good find

Bet that wood handle might come back to life with some tung oil. Might need 3 or 4 applications.

Back