50 Smoked Wings for a work picnic/contest

Christopher H

TVWBB Fan
Here are how my wings turned out! I smoked them at 250 for an hour and a half, then brushed with homemade BBQ sauce and tossed them on the grill on medium heat for a few minutes for the sugars in the sauce to caramelize. I hope I win today!

xwZP3.jpg

Inquiring minds want to know...

I took first! I have to admit there were only 5 entries but I won by a landslide! All 50 of the wings were gone before any of the other entries were eaten 20%!! No trophy, just won some nice work-related merchandise. A win is a win and I'll take it! Thanks for all the support!

dam chief. impressive cook. incredible color. not surprisingly a 1st placer.

any other details about your cook/methods/pit would be appreciated - I cant get your color on my wings. thanks Christopher. now get back to work. heheh

don't lift the lid...

I took first! I have to admit there were only 5 entries but I won by a landslide! All 50 of the wings were gone before any of the other entries were eaten 20%!! No trophy, just won some nice work-related merchandise. A win is a win and I'll take it! Thanks for all the support!

hey! Good for you. Yeah , I bet that felt good. Happy for ya.

Nicely done Christopher....bet those wings tasted as good as they looked!

dam chief. impressive cook. incredible color. not surprisingly a 1st placer.

any other details about your cook/methods/pit would be appreciated - I cant get your color on my wings. thanks Christopher. now get back to work. heheh

don't lift the lid...

Jak, I didn't have time to rub these overnight like I usually like to do. Thursday after work at about 5pm I got to the house, rubbed them with my rub (chili powder, salt, pepper, white/brown sugar and a few extras), then I started my 18.5 WSM with a 3/4 full chimney of hot coals. I had about 6 old coals in there from the last cook. I dumped them in with all vents 100% and as soon as it got to 210 I cut them to 50% on the bottom and 100% on top. For chicken, especially wings, I like to run it a little hotter like 250-275. This time I did 250. I opened the bottom vents to about 75% for the last half hour because it started to drizzle pretty good and get cooler. I smoked them with apple wood chunks for 1.5 hours. About 5 minutes before I took them off I started the propane grill with medium heat. I then roughly brushed on homemade bbq sauce mixed with a splash of oil and threw them all on grill for no more than 3 minutes.

Here are a few other samples of wings I've done in the past. I don't always finish with BBQ sauce on the grill but I noticed some people like it better one way vs the other.

JyV3E.jpg

9iv6Y.jpg

Back