5 Steps to Burger Brilliance: Excerpt from Weber's Big Book of Burgers by J Purviance

Thank goodness, because DH and I are really getting hooked on smash burgers. He just bought some ground turkey and that is what we were thinking of doing with it.

I just bought this book on Amazon, the link above still works. Found it used, in " very good " condition for $5.50 , free shipping. Hard to go wrong at that price.

I got "burgers, sausages and more" by Jamie Purvance on my kindle.
I think I paid 0.99 £ for it :)

I've yet to adapt to Kindle. I've got to have a book. Can't explain it, it just is what it is. But I think its similar to wanting to own a music CD or album over the digitial streamed version.

I've had that book for quite awhile and need to revisit it. We do grind our own hamburger with chuck roast or steak and a little bit of soft brisket fat. For burgers I do a large grind for other uses I do a large grind followed by a small grind.
Barb and I are big fans of smash burgers really like that crust, but we do them on a screaming hot Little Griddle or on a cast iron skillet if on the stove, so no flare ups happen.

I just did the same and I have to get that burger book back out. We haven't fired a grill up in two weeks because of the 106-110 temps here. Never been anywhere near this hot before.
But I might be able to get out and prep the jumbo joe early in the morning and fire it up in the late afternoon and get a couple of burgers done before my meds kick in and say enough of this heat.

I just did the same and I have to get that burger book back out. We haven't fired a grill up in two weeks because of the 106-110 temps here. Never been anywhere near this hot before.
But I might be able to get out and prep the jumbo joe early in the morning and fire it up in the late afternoon and get a couple of burgers done before my meds kick in and say enough of this heat.
Rich, hope you are up to it. I also hope you will like the burger recipe I am about to type up. Tell Barb HI for me.. 🥰

Chris , just wanted to let you know that in the past 2 days, we have printed out about 30 more burger recipes. I guess we know what we will be eating for quite a while. 🥰

Agree with original post . My wife will buy premade patties sometimes, I can't stand it and I'll tell her don't do that because if they're just.....tough. she doesn't believe there's a difference.

I put brisket trimmings in the burgers not too long ago and had so much fat they barely held together... They were ng good, they just didn't hold together. Too tender ....

Chris , just wanted to let you know that in the past 2 days, we have printed out about 30 more burger recipes. I guess we know what we will be eating for quite a while. 🥰
Yep, tonight DH wants to make "Parmesan Burgers". Already posted on the "BEEF" recipe site.

Last edited:

Back