5 Butt Cook on 22-1/2

Mike Zarecky

TVWBB Pro
Starting a 5 butt (all 8 lbs+) cook this evening on my 22-1/2. The weather looks like rain & wind with temps dropping. I may start the cook a little early to make sure everything gets done and pulled for the party tomorrow afternoon. I'm planning on putting the largest 2 butts on the bottom and the other 3 on top. I don't think they will all fit on the top grate? I'm planning on 17 hrs at 225. Using my BBQ Guru DigiQ DX2 w/ 10 cfm fan. Water pan with BIG flower pot base.

Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.

MikeZ

Right now I wasn't planning on any.
I've cooked in poor weather before without any.
I have an L-shaped section of fence I may put around it for wind protection.

Do you have an EZ Up or similar tent device avail? Makes tending the cooker easier by freeing up a hand that would otherwise be holding an umbrella. If so, don't forget to weigh in down or otherwise tie it down.

...and I'll beat Tony to it: don't forget the photos.

Do you have an EZ Up or similar tent device avail? Makes tending the cooker easier by freeing up a hand that would otherwise be holding an umbrella. If so, don't forget to weigh in down or otherwise tie it down.

...and I'll beat Tony to it: don't forget the photos.

Hey!
I have nothing to add...:(

Oh yeah drink plenty of adult beverages it will make time go faster..;)

In inclimate weather, I use an easy up with curtains and that helps alot. A driving rain or high winds will cause all sorts of havok.

That said, 5 big butts is pushing it. I do 4 all the time, but 3 on a rack is going to be pretty tight. Good luck!

Started at 4:45 Friday afternoon. Now 7:00 AM Pit - 225 Meat - 181. Weather was not that bad. Just a little rain. Wish it was a little easier to post pics then going thru Flickr.

Started at 4:45 Friday afternoon. Now 7:00 AM Pit - 225 Meat - 181. Weather was not that bad. Just a little rain. Wish it was a little easier to post pics then going thru Flickr.

I'd love to see the pit all loaded up.

Using an offsite photo hosting is kinda a pain but it keeps Chris' costs down by not using bandwidth to host our photos. Thousands of BBQ enthusiasts with hundreds of photos of our "never before seen creations" = a bazillion megabytes = a ton of money.

Last edited:
Testing out the flicker URL. Good looking Butts!

10623974876_9f9849cd75_b.jpg

Back