4th of July feast

Gosh darn.........
I love it all but that rib in steak form really catches my eye.
Did you have a controlled environment for the dry age or just use a kitchen fridge?
Would you of noticed a difference if someone else made it and didn't tell you it was dry aged?
Worth the waste basically is what I am saying.

Glorious! Which cooker did you make the steaks on?

We did it on my friend’s American Muscle Grill
He has a 2000 square foot back deck with an outdoor kitchen, so seemed like a ”big steaks on a big grill“ kind of night. We did two batches of 3 ribeyes and 2 NY strips (not aged), first batch reverse seared and second batch seared then cooked.
so we could do two taste comparisons, one of aged vs not, the other of cooking method.
The aged, reverse seared was a CLEAR winner.

Gosh darn.........
I love it all but that rib in steak form really catches my eye.
Did you have a controlled environment for the dry age or just use a kitchen fridge?
Would you of noticed a difference if someone else made it and didn't tell you it was dry aged?
Worth the waste basically is what I am saying.

I just did it my garage fridge, in these aging bags I got on Amazon. I just left them untouched for the six weeks. It seemed to work well, but I did notice one shrunk down a bit more than the other, so next time I will probably rotate the weekly just in case there’s any airflow problems.

When we tried aged vs non aged side by side, there was a huge difference in taste and tenderness.

Definitely worth it, especially since my wife works for a meat purveyor (the one that supplies Peter Luger) so we got a 28 pound rack for $9 per pound. I put the dollar bill in the pic just to give a sense of the size.
95CCBE30-8FD2-405A-948E-97AFD5871B16.jpeg

gonna say it again..........................that roast especially in steak form is out of this world.
I would keep buying that stuff especially at $9 per pound.
I would put about $500 in the freezer and use it at your leisure.
Take one and make it dizzy.......produce a chimichurri and you will have something else to die for.
I like the dollar bill for comparison, I usually use a bic lighter to measure how thick my steak is.

We did it on my friend’s American Muscle Grill
He has a 2000 square foot back deck with an outdoor kitchen, so seemed like a ”big steaks on a big grill“ kind of night. We did two batches of 3 ribeyes and 2 NY strips (not aged), first batch reverse seared and second batch seared then cooked.
so we could do two taste comparisons, one of aged vs not, the other of cooking method.
The aged, reverse seared was a CLEAR winner.
Curious, did you do an aged direct seared then indirect finish? I personally like this method as I can build that crust and never overtemp the meat. Build crust and sear and then finish indirect to 130°. Fabulous cook you did. Congrats!

Curious, did you do an aged direct seared then indirect finish? I personally like this method as I can build that crust and never overtemp the meat. Build crust and sear and then finish indirect to 130°. Fabulous cook you did. Congrats!
Yes, we did it both ways - direct sear/indirect finish, and also reverse sear. Reverse sear was a clear winner, I think the slow cooking made a huge difference in tenderness. We were also super careful on temp, pulled them at about 108 and then cranked the temp on the grill for the sear

That looks amazing!
I've heard of deep-fried Twinkies, but not grilled (aside from "Texas Twinkies"). Think I may need to try those.

That looks amazing!
I've heard of deep-fried Twinkies, but not grilled (aside from "Texas Twinkies"). Think I may need to try those.

They’re actually pretty tasty. The outside gets a little crunchy and the sugars carmelize well, while the filling gets soft and a little gooey. And some vanilla ice cream certainly goes nicely on a warm twinkie…

Back