4th of July cook....Picanha

AbeLos

TVWBB Member
For the 4th of July, I decided to try something new and since the butcher had Picanha(rump cap, coulotte, or whatever your butcher decides to call it) on sale, I figured might as well try it out. The first hurdle I encountered was how I was going to cook it, I really wanted to spin it and slice it on the spit like they do at the churrascaria but since it is mainly for presentation, I figured I would hold off and do that when we have guests. Sous vide was a thought, but I was running short on time that was out of the question. Finally I decided on cutting it into steaks and throwing it in the performer with the vortex. Seasoned with kosher salt and put it around the grill for 5 min per side and finished over the vortex.

After much deliberation cut it into steaks between 1" and 1.5" with a little trim, since the fat cap was a bit excessive on it.

Seasoned with kosher salt, debated on throwing my trusty Montreal steak seasoning but decided against it.

Onto the grill it went, with a chunk of mesquite.

Cooked for 5 minutes per side and then finished over the vortex.

And here's it is all ready to be eaten.

I could have reduced the time to 4.5 min per side and add a little more time to the finish, but I can't complain at all with the results. Since this was my first time with this cut I didn't know what to expect and really stressed on how to cut it because everything I saw said cut with the grain for steaks, but now I see why because when you cut across grain to eat it along with the fat it becomes a buttery piece of carnivore goodness. I really wanted to spin it and maybe I'll do that next time but it will be hard to beat cutting it into steaks. Hope everyone had a Happy 4th.

Last edited:

Back